Join Today

Site Sponsor
    Newb

Default tech-savvy road warrior needs a clue

Hello,

I'm looking for some direction.

I spend a lot of time on the road (rock climbing, etc.) and often want to check my email in the boonies or load Google maps. I typically do this by driving to town for wifi or whatever, but a 3g solution would be better. I've seen some people selling MIFIs with the $5/mo deal but also lots of comments about how it's either been shut down or requires resets. I'd much rather have a setup I can use to reconfig my device on the road when necessary as getting my phone configured by someone else would be next to impossible most times (not that I've seen anyone offer such a service). Ideally, I'd buy a 6620L (only device that unofficially works with my OS) and modify it. Is this asking too much?

I'm more experienced with traditional OSI model networking via various fiber/cable providers and VOIP routing than this stuff. I haven't found a comprehensive guide or manual as yet.

I have experience using QPST (unrelated flip phone issue) but that's about it.

I also have a dual band booster/antenna setup I use to make calls with my PagePlus phone. PP's data rates blow donkeys so I never use it.

Have pity on this CDMA neophyte! Thank you

iPhone Moderator, Trusted Guru &
    CDMA GURUS Booster

Default Re: tech-savvy road warrior needs a clue

Hi, welcome to gurus.
    Flashed mifis and how long they last are entirely dependent on who is doing the flashing, I mean you get what you pay for, some of us have devices still out there and still working from more than 2 years ago, others not so much maybe only a few months or less, but a mifi is your solution I think.
    I am not sure what you mean by " I'd buy a 6620L (only device that unofficially works with my OS) " so not sure how to answer that.
    I do have LTE service available also its not as cheap as the 3g but is much faster and we have it cheaper than you can get it from the carrier for, any way if you want a good 3g flash that will last there are still a small few of us doing them that know what we are doing so be careful choosing . good luck!
    Last edited by rich hathaway; 01-28-2018 at 11:22 AM.
    Custom tools and custom phone & mifi firmwares built to your specs.Contact me !

I WILL NOT ANSWER SUPPORT QUESTIONS THRU PRIVATE MSG.
    See mifis.us for unlimited data on vzw-AT&T-TMO-or some MVNO's (Resellers welcome)

www.mifis.us <--get yer unlimited data mifis here

Newb

Quote Originally Posted by rich hathaway View Post
    I am not sure what you mean by " I'd buy a 6620L (only device that unofficially works with my OS) " so not sure how to answer that.
    What I mean is I think this is the only device that I'm able to use, other than the U620L.

CDMA GURUS Booster

Ok I was not sure what "OS" you meant, but I have branded and debranded firmware's for both of those devices and can put either of them on 3g or LTE.

See mifis.us for unlimited data on vzw-AT&T-TMO-or some MVNO's (Resellers welcome)

Newb

Hm, I'm subbed to the thread but I don't get email notifications.

CDMA GURUS Booster

check your spam folder or if you have gmail (the new look one) then it will prob be in the updates folder, that is where they go in mine. I just replied to your pm