Join Today

Site Sponsor
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Newb

Default What is the best carrier to flash to and why?

Hey there. This is my first post and I couldn't figure out where best it would go so I just stuck it here. I hope it doesn't get lost. Anyways, a little background on my phone before I again pose the question made in the title... I have a Verizon Droid X (2.2.1) rooted using Z4 and running Liberty rom. My contract with Verizon is up in June and I'm pretty sure they'll take away my old unlimited data plan that they've since nixxed. I'm hopping to learn how to flash my phone to a new carrier using this forum once I cancel my contract at the end of the term. What I'm curious to know is...

• what is the best carrier to flash to in terms of service and coverage?
    • has the droid x been successfully flashed before with fully working hardware?

I live in south mississippi (I'm not a redneck) if that helps answer the first question. I know I won't have coverage as good as verizon, but I want the best I can get. Thanks for your time and consideration.

Cheers

Default Re: What is the best carrier to flash to and why?

I think the true question is what other carriers are in your area? You can of course cross Sprint off the list along with GSM carriers like AT&T, T-mobile. But it should work fine on cricket, Metro, Pageplus, etc. but again that will depend on what native carriers are in your market.

Newb

Quote Originally Posted by whitey10tc View Post
    I think the true question is what other carriers are in your area? You can of course cross Sprint off the list along with GSM carriers like AT&T, T-mobile. But it should work fine on cricket, Metro, Pageplus, etc. but again that will depend on what native carriers are in your market.
    That is because cricket, metro, etc. still use towers from major carriers correct? Not counting the carriers you say to cross out, there is Verizon and Cellular South. Why are Sprint, AT&T and T-Mobile not viable options? They are all in my area as well. Verizon seems to have the best coverage in this area so I suppose whichever of those available to me get the best of verizon.

Quote Originally Posted by goose90proof View Post
    That is because cricket, metro, etc. still use towers from major carriers correct? Not counting the carriers you say to cross out, there is Verizon and Cellular South. Why are Sprint, AT&T and T-Mobile not viable options? They are all in my area as well. Verizon seems to have the best coverage in this area so I suppose whichever of those available to me get the best of verizon.
    Sprint will not accept the MEID from other carriers, AT&T & Tmobile and their MVNO's are GSM carriers. Cricket owns it's towers in some areas and in others uses Sprint.

Newb

Quote Originally Posted by whitey10tc View Post
    Sprint will not accept the MEID from other carriers, AT&T & Tmobile and their MVNO's are GSM carriers. Cricket owns it's towers in some areas and in others uses Sprint.
    Gotcha. I checked coverage maps for Cricket and Metro PCS. Metro is showing that they cover... a lot but I'm not sure how accurate that is. Cricket seems to be a more accurate coverage map, but perhaps Metro simply has a stronger network? I just want to make sure I'm making the best decision because I'm seriously considering going through with this in about a month and I want to be properly prepared. I know there are different methods for each so I want to study the right guide properly before beginning.

EDIT: Apparently I'm sending these messages from the past!
    Last edited by goose90proof; 05-16-2012 at 12:44 PM.

Out of Metro and cricket I would vote for cricket as long as you're in a native cricket market and not the AWS or partner coverage.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast