Join Today

Site Sponsor
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Newb

Default Re: Need Help..Enabling CDMA Function on Iphone 4S GSM

The CDMA radio is fully functional in the unlocked GSM iPhone 4S. How do I know?

Well, I just purchased one from Apple and decided to mess around.

Without a SIM, try the * OTA codes for CDMA:

In this case, once I hit *22801, I got a "Welcome to Verizon Wireless". I think *22804 was Sprint.

Of course, this doesn't help because if you look in Settings->General->About on an unlocked iPhone 4S, you don't see a MEID, only a IMEI.

What's the difference between a CDMA iPhone 4S and a GSM one? The MEID is missing from the GSM versions. Also, although the IMEI and MEID are the same length, let's take a look at the prefix:

IMEIs are typically 01 for the prefix here in the US.

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

If you look at the IMEI or MEID of a CDMA iPhone 4S, you will see the IMEI and the MEID both are identical, and start with "99", which is the prefix specifically designed for dual technology (CDMA/GSM) phones.

So, we have two issues with an iPhone 4S (non CDMA version) on a CDMA carrier:

1) There is no "valid" MEID that shows up in Settings->About->MEID - i.e. it doesn't even show up on the menu!
    2) Even if it did, it traditionally copies the IMEI of the phone, which has a 01 prefix. IMEI and MEIDs share the same namespace. A CDMA carrier would see the "01" prefix and go "Oh, that's a IMEI, not a MEID." They would have to be a prefix of "99" to work on their network correctly (or A0 or some other valid MEID prefix). Of course, if you set the IMEI to something like A0 or another valid MEID prefix that's NOT "99" you stand a chance of your GSM part not working, because "A0" is in the IMEI namespace.
    3) If you note the Apple MEIDs on CDMA iPhone 4S'es, you notice that the IMEI and MEIDs on both are the *same*. IMEIs cannot be hexadecimal, so you will always note the MEID has only decimals numbers in it, no hex, unlike a traditional MEID, which may start with Hex >A.
    4) Yes, I know that if you're an enterprising hacker, you can change the MEID to something different than the IMEI on a dual mode CDMA iPhone 4S. However, Apple's OOB models have both numbers being the *same*.

Thoughts?

Newb

2) Even if it did, it traditionally copies the IMEI of the phone, which has a 01 prefix. IMEI and MEIDs share the same namespace. A CDMA carrier would see the "01" prefix and go "Oh, that's a IMEI, not a MEID." They would have to be a prefix of "99" to work on their network correctly (or A0 or some other valid MEID prefix). Of course, if you set the IMEI to something like A0 or another valid MEID prefix that's NOT "99" you stand a chance of your GSM part not working, because "A0" is in the IMEI namespace.

"A0" is in the MEID namespace, not IMEI namespace. Correction.

Quote Originally Posted by acadiel View Post

"A0" is in the MEID namespace, not IMEI namespace. Correction.
    The only was i have activated cdma service on the 4s was by using the gevey ultra s and that was just something i just stumbled across trying to unlock a 4s.

Newb

so after using Gevey Ultra S on the sim tray we would able to inject number to use cdma function? i'm an indonesian as well, a lil bit confussed cos only verizon or sprint 4s that can be inject here on indonesia.

Newb

please respond, anyone?

iPhone Moderator, Trusted Guru &
    CDMA GURUS Booster

Quote Originally Posted by iqemayahnyaecad View Post
    so after using Gevey Ultra S on the sim tray we would able to inject number to use cdma function? i'm an indonesian as well, a lil bit confussed cos only verizon or sprint 4s that can be inject here on indonesia.
    yes that is correct
    Custom tools and custom phone & mifi firmwares built to your specs.Contact me !

I WILL NOT ANSWER SUPPORT QUESTIONS THRU PRIVATE MSG.
    See mifis.us for unlimited data on vzw-AT&T-TMO-or some MVNO's (Resellers welcome)

www.mifis.us <--get yer unlimited data mifis here

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast