Join Today

Site Sponsor
    Apprentice

Default Semi-tether ios 5 jailbreak?

Just read a story about an app on cydia that will let you use your iphone's basic calling features if jailbroken on ios 5 after a reboot. I' m gonna try it out and test let u know how it goes. Am i that impatient? Yep. Read story here.

http://mobiputing.com/2011/10/semitether-for-ios-5-relieves-some-of-the-tethered-jailbreak-pain/

Apprentice

Default Re: Semi-tether ios 5 jailbreak?

O.k. I jailbroke my verizon iphone running ios 5 and downloaded semi-tethered from cydia and tested the theory of semi-tethered. It seems to work though I haven't downloaded any thing else through cydia besides the essential upgrades. Below will be a link to where it describes the process rather accurately. I actually jailbroke with redsn0w 0.9.96b rather than the 0.9.9b7 mentioned in their write up. I think the only difference is the newer version is faster. I read somewhere that AppSynch will not work with this though until updates of mobilesubstrate are made, No big deal there. Read the instructions thoroughly before trying out though and as always theres that risk factor when doing stuff like this, just warning. If you haven't jailbroke ios 5 yet I think there might be something left out of this write up and that's the step that after you first jailbreak you may have cydia but the icon is plain white. If so, you have to open up redsn0w again and choose extras then use the Just Boot option, follow the instructions it will give you then you should be good to go. After that you will have access to cydia. When you first get into cydia it want you to upgrade essentials, after doing so it will reboot iphone, so of course you will have to open redsn0w again and perform the Just Boot task again. Then things should be fairly normal. Just remember anytime after this your iphone reboots you will have to use redsn0w's Just Boot feature to be able to access any jailbroken applications, but should be able to use the phone's calling feature's and apps installed not using cydia. Make sense hope so. Now I am going to try some other tests. Please post any bugs u run into. O here's the write up link----

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

Apprentice

Default Dissident and Big Boss Working it out

There is still problems with getting appsync and semiTether to work prperly together. The good news though is Dissident and Big Boss are actually working together to fix this. You can follow the progress on Hackulo.us forum.
    http://hackulo.us/forums/index.php?/news/
    or at Big Boss' site
    http://thebigboss.org/semitethered-jailbreak