I may have gotten a bit ahead of myself when back at the end of January I speculated that Acer may be the next manufacturer to join the Open Handset Alliance (OHA). Since then we've had all kinds of rumours and speculation about a 2009 release of an Android phone by the company, the most recent being that an announcement was expected in September.

This may well prove to be true as it seems that Acer is gearing up for something Android-related as they officially confirm their membership of the OHA. This comes as they issue a formal [Only registered and activated users can see links. ] in which they demonstrate their "support for Android as an open mobile platform and its commitment to Android's commercial success." Well it's about time. Now can we have an Acer Android phone please?

That said, I am in two minds about an Acer phone. I've always been a fan of Acer – good value for money kit (I'm actually typing this on an Acer laptop now) but I'm beginning to wonder if the 'value' approach is a bit of a false economy. My current laptop (my second Acer) seems to exhibit some rather strange behaviour, occasionally shutting down as a result of what I suspect is overheating. Until recently I also had an Acer LCD TV which mysteriously died in what seemed like seconds after the 1 year warranty had expired. Let's just hope their phones perform better.

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]