Join Today

Site Sponsor
    Newb

Default Recommendations to switch to another carrier?

Hi guys,

I had a VX8350 as my first phone. Never had one before because I didn't like people keeping tabs on me (still don't). I got it to help me out on my field work as a tech. At the time there were better phones, but as my first phone, I thought it was pretty good. The only down side I saw to it was if you had an audio file longer than 35 minutes, seeking would not work properly (fast forwarding & fast reverse). My sister had an ipod at the time and even though it could hold more songs, my phone could play songs at a higher quality (anywhere from 160KHz to 320Khz). This alone I thought was awesome so I didn't buy an ipod (which I was going to) and had my vx8350 as a neat little phone/music player package. One small multi-purpose device, awesome.

I had it for about a year and a half. THEN.... out of nowhere....I was waiting for an elevator at a job site, so I decide to check my voicemail and whip out my phone. I couldn't open it. It was as if it the flip part was physically locked. I said to myself "That's strange. I never had problems opening it before.". So, I try to slowly open it and BAM!! The left hinge cracked right off the phone. I held it in my hands and must have stopped breathing, thinking "WTF?!!!". I couldn't believe it. I took care of this phone. How did this happen? It was in two pieces, but it still worked. I didn't want to carry a phone around like this.

I took it to Verizon and before I could even finish explaining what happened, the rep told me it's a known issue with this model for more than a year (at that point) and since they know about it, they will replace the phone free of charge. I was happy to hear that, but then I thought, if it's a known issue, what if it happens again? So I asked the rep if they phone breaks again will they replace it and they said yes. So, I said why not give customers the vx8360 instead at least or any other flip phone that doesn't have this problem instead of waiting for it to break and exchange it for another that will definitely break as well? He tells me the exchange can only be done for the same model (which I understand) but all phones of this model have this problem (he told me that himself), it makes the exchange pointless.

This means, they have phone model which they know will break but continue to sell it even today. They may not advertise it anymore but some Verizon stores still carry and sell it. I thought, this is retarded! Verizon should send all those phones back to LG and get replacements/reimbursement for them instead of pissing off their customers. This makes them look very bad. Many other people agreed when I told them what happened.

However, the saga continues. The replacement vx8350 I received I ended up giving it to my girlfriend after one month of me using it because her phone (vx8550) stopped working. I now buy the Dare for myself as I was due for and upgrade anyway. 4 months later, my girlfriend freaks out as the vx8350 breaks in her hand while trying to open it. I thought, shit man… again?! So soon?! Back to Verizon I go expecting a replacement. Only this time they tell me they can't replace it. I'm like O_o

I tell them "What do you mean? You told me to comeback if it broke again and you'd replace it." He tells me that the phone is out of warranty now (which is complete bullshit) and they can't replace it. I'm like "You ----ing dick! Why didn't you tell me that the last time? I have warranty, not to mention insurance I pay every month. What good is that if you won't replace a phone which you knew was faulty before a customer even gets it?" He tells me unfortunately they can’t change it. I was steamed! I almost broke my contract right then and there.

I end up buying another phone from someone else (another LG Dare) for my girlfriend. But once my contract is up, I'm thinking of moving elsewhere. Would it be worth it to switch to another carrier? Mostly every one I know uses Verizon so there isn't many I can ask.

Don't get or give an LG vx8350 to anyone!

P.S.: I hope this is the right forum. Sorry if it's not

Default Re: Recommendations to switch to another carrier?

Cricket yo!
    Retired