Join Today

Site Sponsor
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Apprentice

Default Getting data working on a Sprint-flashed V3m... OUTSIDE Sprint

(Mods: If this is not the correct place for this thread, feel free to move it to the correct section. Thanks!)

Well, the title says it all. Normally, data services setup on Sprint phones are vastly different from almost all other carriers, so when you take a Sprint V3m to any other network (or if you're dumb/curious, take any V3c/m and flash it to Sprint), data of course will not work (and on a freshly-flashed phone, anything that attemps to use data services will trigger the "Power Vision" provisioning crap, preventing you to open the browser or something like that).

The classic solution to this problem has been simple: pray, flash a gazillon of times to any MotoUI-based firmware (while you're stuck in that dreaded bootloader brawl), and use that to get data working on your phone. But i have other needs in mind: i'm a J2ME developer, and, having used the Sprint V3m firmware on my V3c a long time ago, i've noticed that their Java virtual machine is way much faster than the well-known Esmertec JBED present on Canadian firmwares, plus feature-wise it's a decent JVM. So i want to test my programs there. And here comes the problem: i'm not on Sprint. Hell, i'm not even in the United States! So if i ever try to test any MIDlet that requires network access on such firmware... well, you know how this story ends: "GO AND FLASH TO TELUS" :P

Searching in Google reveals me that Cricket Mafia guys have somewhat got WAP/data working on some Sprint phones on Cricket WITHOUT flashing away to another firmware, but i can find only stuff for Samsungs - nothing for the good ol' V3m. Soooo... has anyone EVER bothered to hack the supposedly "hardcoded-in-stone" Power Vision crap in Moto phones? Or everyone just called "meh, this is unpossible", and prefered to take the red pill and flash away to the lame-o BREW-enabled MotoUI firmwares? My goal here is to get a Sprint-flashed V3m working with data services (i don't care about MMS AT ALL, just want WAP) on a non-Sprint network (FYI, mine is Movilnet, in Venezuela, but such solution would be generic enough to work on VZW/Cricket/Telus/Iusacell/whatever - after all, most foreign firmwares work fine over here...)

Any hints? Help? Am I not crazy enough? No, i don't want no stinkin' Droid, thanks :P

The solution you are looking for is rather simple. Just flash another carriers firmware to the phone, then edit your wap/mms settings.

Sent from a Galaxy far, far away, using Tapatalk Pro

Default Re: Getting data working on a Sprint-flashed V3m... OUTSIDE Sprint

Download RSD Lite, download a Cricket V3*(c preferable) monsterpack, hook phone up via usb and make sure you have drivers installed and the open the monsterpack in RSD Lite and flash away. Change the ESN on your account and dial *288, if *228 doesn't work, then manually program : 74663# clr clr

If u need more assistance google is super smart on this topic.
    Retired

Apprentice

You didn't understood the purpose of my post

I don't want to flash the phone to another firmware - i would look to get data working on this firmware. Yes, i know, the usual fix is to flash away from Sprint to anything else, but my goal here is to "fix" the Sprint firmware settings to somewhat get data working. Sounds like a useless/stupid project, but i need a good Java VM for my software development stuff

I've Googled a bit - found some settings for the V950 (a Sprint-exclusive phone that has no other firmwares available), and messed up with the ##DATA# menu: some settings do stick, while some others don't: for example the MIP username resets to [Only registered and activated users can see links. ] after a restart. And i still get the "Setting up Power Vision" thing every time that i want to open the browser... Following some instructions that i've found also for the Samsung Intense (or whatever it's called), i've entrered ##BREW# (which leads to the hidden BREW App Manager on these phones), and tried to start the browser from there, just to get a generic BREW error message

Is this firmware actually so braindead that can't be fixed no way how you try?

Quote Originally Posted by dilworks View Post
    You didn't understood the purpose of my post

I don't want to flash the phone to another firmware - i would look to get data working on this firmware. Yes, i know, the usual fix is to flash away from Sprint to anything else, but my goal here is to "fix" the Sprint firmware settings to somewhat get data working. Sounds like a useless/stupid project, but i need a good Java VM for my software development stuff

I've Googled a bit - found some settings for the V950 (a Sprint-exclusive phone that has no other firmwares available), and messed up with the ##DATA# menu: some settings do stick, while some others don't: for example the MIP username resets to [Only registered and activated users can see links. ] after a restart. And i still get the "Setting up Power Vision" thing every time that i want to open the browser... Following some instructions that i've found also for the Samsung Intense (or whatever it's called), i've entrered ##BREW# (which leads to the hidden BREW App Manager on these phones), and tried to start the browser from there, just to get a generic BREW error message

Is this firmware actually so braindead that can't be fixed no way how you try?
    Best of luck
    Retired

iPhone Moderator, Trusted Guru &
    CDMA GURUS Booster

if you gotta do that with the sprint firmware,may i suggest you start with p2k,and/or p2k commader and start reading/editing seams.if you can find your way through about 3000 seams and edit the right ones you should be able to accomplish what you are trying to do with the exception of no mms this way.

but i am curious why you gotta stick with the sprint firmware ?? enlighten us if you would.
    Last edited by rich hathaway; 01-15-2011 at 03:26 PM.
    Custom tools and custom phone & mifi firmwares built to your specs.Contact me !

I WILL NOT ANSWER SUPPORT QUESTIONS THRU PRIVATE MSG.
    See mifis.us for unlimited data on vzw-AT&T-TMO-or some MVNO's (Resellers welcome)

www.mifis.us <--get yer unlimited data mifis here

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast