Join Today

Site Sponsor
    Newb

Default possible to put gsm firmware on cdma phone?

hey all,

new to this stuff!

I purchased a CDMA Sprint Galaxy Tab on ebay. I managed to unlock it to all 0's and put on Bell mobility PRL version 31402.

I am wondering if I would be able to flash Bell's Galay Tab firmware on the phone even thouogh Bell's version is GSM?

When I go into the Tab's system it shows the PRL version as 31402. I am wondering if there is a way to verify that everything is fine. I was told to call 611 and if Bell's system comes up then I am fine but I cannot do this because I cannot make a call on the Tab.

thanks,
    John.

Apprentice

I'd be very hesitant to flash GSM software to a CDMA device or vice versa. My question is how did you "unlock" a Sprint Galaxy Tab. I'm assuming you mean flash being that Sprint is a CDMA network.

I'm not familiar with Bell Mobility. Are they a CDMA or GSM network? I'm assuming they are CDMA being that you were able to flash your tab to their network so would they have GSM firmware for a tab?

As for testing the device, you could disable the wifi and check if the data connection works.

Old Timer

GSM Firmware won't work on a CDMA phone. The hardware on the two phones is totally different. Therefore, the firmware will also be totally different.

Newb

Thanks guys I appreciate the responses. I didn't think I would be able to flash the firmware but doesn't hurt to ask!

SLR: When I wrote that I unlocked it what I meant was that I was able to break the Sprint SPC code and change it to all 6 zeros. Bell is a CDMA provider (in Canada) but they have started to switch to GSM. Their version of the Galaxy Tab is GSM, but my Blackberry Storm, for isntance, is CDMA.

Update: I took the Tab into a Bell store. The salesman said the PRL is fine, managed to enter the ESN into their system and gave me MIN and device numbers. I entered the numbers but I cannot get a connection. I called a technician but she said the number and ESN is registered to another user and that she could not help me because of this. So I have to go to a store on Sunday and get it straightened out. Long story short they both said since the system recognizes the ESN I will have no problem connecting. The problem is finding a data plan that is not GSM based. I am going to ask them if they can hook me up with a voice and data plan (say $50) and give me a $15/month credit. That would put me at $35 which is what the data plan costs.

Port the ROM over and try that, you wouldnt persay need to flash the gsm ROM just pull what you like from it
    Retired