Join Today

Site Sponsor
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Newb

Default Questions About Verizon Phone On Sprint

Please forgive my extremely noob questions. I'm completely new to all this flashing stuff, but I'm interested in learning.

I just purchased a Droid Pro because I'm going to be overseas for most of the next 2 years, so I wanted something I could use abroad.

However, I'm on Sprint, and it would be great if I could use the Droid Pro while I'm home as well, simply because I love the form factor of the phone.

I know the PRL is the first step I should look into, and I have 3 Sprint phones that I could pull the PRL from (assuming I can use CDMA Workshop or something to pull the PRL). However, would the PRL be enough to get voice and text working?

I can take care of the ESN stuff, so that shouldn't really be an issue.

The biggest question is regarding data. I need data on the phone, so if there's absolutely no way to get data working, it's not even worth attempting to make this work. What is required to get data working?

Thanks in advance for your answers.

I would start by getting Sprint to accept the Verizon Motorola esn.
    Then move onto flashing if you have an active sprint phone you have all the info for a full flash. The esn will be hard but not impossible to add to the account, throw cloning ideas out with it being a MOTO Droid it just won't happen unless you spend more than it's worth.

Sent from my HERO200 using Tapatalk

iPhone Moderator, Trusted Guru &
    CDMA GURUS Booster

the data on sprint is of course different from other carriers,you would have get the ppp's out of a working sprint phone, we use white rabbit to get the phone working with cricket,nobody really ,i dont think, has ever messed to much with flashing phones to sprint because they wont activate non-sprint esn's, the mms will not ever work for sprint on the droid,as sprint uses picture mail and most all others carriers use mms.but like whitey said get the esn on sprint first. i do not believe this to be possible without burning a new esn into the phone from a srint branded phone,which is highly illegal and really should not be discussed here.

but if you are successfull,by all means post your solution for future users to duplicate.

BABY NEWB

sprint does use mms on their droids though so you "might" be able to get it to work.
    hmmm what to flash what to flash......
    iPhone ----->>> The "Smartphone" for dummies

Apprentice

Sprint blocks all non-sprint phones from their network by whitelisting ESN's. With that being said, the only way I know of to get around this is to take a Sprint phone and clone its ESN to the phone you are flashing. Keep in mind this is highly illegal and is not discussed or encouraged on this site.

In all honestly, I would recommend purchasing a GSM phone and unlocking it if you plan to use it abroad. Most of the world uses GSM over CDMA-- not to mention that once the phone is unlock it will work on any GSM network at that point. Setting up data on a GSM phone is as simple as adding the network's APN to the phone.

Another option would be to purchase a phone that support both GSM & CDMA. I know one of Verizon's new Droids is a "World Edition" phone that supports both technologies, but I'm not sure if it's the one you have. With one of these phones, you could setup the CDMA side for Sprint and unlock the GSM side for use overseas.

To answer your question directly, you can learn to flash a phone to other networks, but the process is going to be a lot more convoluted. Instead of just popping in another network's SIM card to an unlock GSM phone, you'd have to: add your ESN to the network, throw on the network's PRL, NAM program the phone, and configure your data settings.

Data settings can typically be configured in CDMA Workshop under the EVDO tab. On Android phones, you have to edit the APN in order to setup MMS. Also, there are more steps involved if the network uses a proxy...

Nevertheless, the community here is very supportive, so I'm sure you'll receive the help you need to do whatever you choose to do.

Quote Originally Posted by leadnerd View Post
    sprint does use mms on their droids though so you "might" be able to get it to work.
    Sprint has a "MMS application" but it doesn't work the same way as the MMS app on other networks' phones. This is the main reason why the MMS app doesn't work properly when flashing Sprint ROMs to other networks. I'm not entirely sure, but I believe the Sprint MMS app is more or less the same as the non-Sprint MMS app; however, the underlying frameworks that the app uses is more than likely Sprint specific.

Newb

Quote Originally Posted by whitey10tc View Post
    The esn will be hard but not impossible to add to the account, throw cloning ideas out with it being a MOTO Droid it just won't happen unless you spend more than it's worth.
    Well, I didn't want to break any rules, which is why I left it vague in my first post. I guess I'm going to put this idea on hold, then. I didn't realize it was more difficult to manipulate a Motorola phone than other phones.

Quote Originally Posted by xxSLRxx View Post
    Sprint blocks all non-sprint phones from their network by whitelisting ESN's. With that being said, the only way I know of to get around this is to take a Sprint phone and clone its ESN to the phone you are flashing. Keep in mind this is highly illegal and is not discussed or encouraged on this site.

In all honestly, I would recommend purchasing a GSM phone and unlocking it if you plan to use it abroad. Most of the world uses GSM over CDMA-- not to mention that once the phone is unlock it will work on any GSM network at that point. Setting up data on a GSM phone is as simple as adding the network's APN to the phone.

Another option would be to purchase a phone that support both GSM & CDMA. I know one of Verizon's new Droids is a "World Edition" phone that supports both technologies, but I'm not sure if it's the one you have. With one of these phones, you could setup the CDMA side for Sprint and unlock the GSM side for use overseas.

To answer your question directly, you can learn to flash a phone to other networks, but the process is going to be a lot more convoluted. Instead of just popping in another network's SIM card to an unlock GSM phone, you'd have to: add your ESN to the network, throw on the network's PRL, NAM program the phone, and configure your data settings.

Data settings can typically be configured in CDMA Workshop under the EVDO tab. On Android phones, you have to edit the APN in order to setup MMS. Also, there are more steps involved if the network uses a proxy...

Nevertheless, the community here is very supportive, so I'm sure you'll receive the help you need to do whatever you choose to do.

Sprint has a "MMS application" but it doesn't work the same way as the MMS app on other networks' phones. This is the main reason why the MMS app doesn't work properly when flashing Sprint ROMs to other networks. I'm not entirely sure, but I believe the Sprint MMS app is more or less the same as the non-Sprint MMS app; however, the underlying frameworks that the app uses is more than likely Sprint specific.
    The Droid Pro is indeed a CDMA/GSM phone. I just need to get the unlock code for the GSM part before I leave. I don't have Verizon, nor do I know of anybody that works for Verizon, so I can't get it from them, but I can just shell out some money and get the code.

Sigh...here's to hoping a phone in the Droid Pro form factor comes to Sprint at some point.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast