Join Today

Site Sponsor
Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910
    Newb

Default Re: LG VM510 filesystem innards, tricks, and treats

I'm kinda new to all of this but how do you view the file system and SMS threads?

Newb

Quote Originally Posted by Sparky View Post
    Thank you, bigsupersquid!

From your post it sounds to me like my goal is hopeless.

I want to get rid of the bloatware and get to my most-used applications in one touch. Dream on.

Anyone with a VM Rumor Touch knows that to get to Opera Mini or email takes:
    1. Press the home button
    2. Touch Main Menu
    3. Touch My Stuff
    4. Touch Applications
    5. Touch Opera Mini or Email + IM
    5a. For email, also scroll past a few pages to the bottom of the bloatware then press IMAP/POP Email.

From a security standpoint, if I use IMAP/POP Email, that email is stored on my phone. If I lose my phone, I would like to keep my email private. For privacy, I use my own server instead of Gmail (it seems Google wants to gather everything it can about everyone on the planet). I haven't found a way to lock the phone so that a code is required to access the email. Anyone who picks up my phone can not only read my email but also send email as thought they were me.

Why would anyone want to buy this phone, even as a toy? The $25.00 unlimited data plan is attractive. The phone is repulsive.

Thank you for all of your work, bigsupersquid, to show me that restructuring the menus seems to be hopeless.

Anyone know of a way to lock this phone?
    NO YOU DON'T!!!

on the first page hit the add button.
    then that will take you to the add options, go down to the MY STUFF(do not check it but click it) that will take you to MY STUFF page... no go to the applications find opera mini and add it...

tadaaa!!!!! opera mini is now on your first page.

Apprentice

sorry to bump a dead thread, but maybe this'll help someone...
    [Only registered and activated users can see links. ] has instructions on using bitpim to examine the filesystem.
    the first page of posts may have other instructions related. I don't remember where the sms threads are in the rt's system, but hunt around and you should be able to find 'em.

Newb

Is anyone familiar with the text message data format on these devices? I as able to extract the RAW data from the file system in BitPim and wanted to parse the SMS messages into a spread sheet or similar. Not sure how the smsthread00xx.dat and smsDBThread.dat files should be broken down in a hex editor. If someone had a script to parse it you'd be my best friend

Newb

Sorry for beating a dead horse; I'm just hoping that with pv8 out on all these phones now (new ones at least), that maybe there will be a second wave of interest in this.
    Anyway, I noticed the directory /user/sound/ringer (I already used Renate's awesome utility for the .map index file, just curious about my phone). Is this the directory for "official" VM ringtones? If so, how would I go about putting anything in there? qcp and mp3 files don't seem to work, and I can't figure out what VM's file type is for their ringtones.

Also, because I have firmware version VM510PV8, I cannot add 3rd party applications via the mediacard APPS folder; it simply doesn't show up as a menu option. Can I manually add apps through BitPim by making another folder under ams?

Or, is it possible for me to force the mediacard APPS menu option to show up?

Anyways, great work you all have done, bravo! IF this doesn't get answered, I completely understand; it's been over half a year since our author posted.

Cheers,
    p. isaac

Newb

Alright, so as I have said before, I have software version VM510PV8. My sister's phone has VM510PV5, so she is able to install 3rd party apps to her phone. I copied the directories of two apps (angry birds and sudoku), and changed the name of the files to match the new available directories (for example, instead of 15.jar, it's now 22.jar; the directory 22 did not exist until I made it).

This, unfortunately, did not allow me to run either of these apps, which leads me to believe that something in the /ams/db directory holds a similar file to the "mmsRingerIndex.map" file for ringtones. I'm going to compare my sister's and my db directory to figure out what the [syntax?] is for the file and what file(s) I should be worried about.

EDIT:
    Okay, I looked through /ams/db, and it looks like poweron, folderInfo, and executionInfo are not important conecerning adding new apps. poweron and folderInfo are too small and don't have anything referring to names or anything, and executionInfo seems to document what applications you ran and maybe when. contentInfo seems to be the money, and now it's time to figure out how it is put together....
    Last edited by project_isaac; 01-07-2012 at 05:11 PM.

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910