Join Today

Site Sponsor
Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 345678910 LastLast
    Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by captainkirks View Post
    I think we need to find where the nam lock is on it.
    I can test things on my handset as long as there's no serious danger of bricking it.
    I'm all for verifying different ways to unlock the phone; even though I don't need to flash it at this time it'd be nice to have the capability to fully do so should I decide to in the future.
    Whatever sets the nam lock may also have something to do with the repressed parts of the filesystem, and I'd sure like to get at those.
    Let me know what you find out, and if you need further testing on my handset.
    Thanks!

Newb

If you guys are frustrated about the order of the apps in your Applications menu, here's a so-simple-it-took-a-long-time-to-think-of-it solution: reinstall your apps. The app menu is, for our purposes, a simple FIFO queue; when an app is installed or overwritten, its [new] entry is placed at the top of the Applications menu. So, when you want to reorder your apps, all you need to do is go to Main Menu -> My Stuff -> Media Card and reinstall your apps in the order (bottom to top) you want them to appear in the menu.

Obviously, this is tedious if you have a lot of apps and want to reorder them all, but at least it's something. I'm not sure what reinstalling does to an app's preferences/saved data, so also be aware of that.

I'd further like to point out that Renate's method for customizing the Home menu items is also useful (to an extent) for changing their icons. Until we find where the stock icons are located, we probably won't be able to add our own custom icons, but it is possible to change any home menu item's icon to any one of the other stock icons (which are plentiful). Just add to the home menu (via the phone's "Add" button) the item whose icon you want to use, and then also add the item that's going to take the other's icon. In shortscuts.dat, you can then copy the former's icon name(s) into the latter's entry. After you've copied shortscuts.dat back to the phone, simply delete the new Home menu entry whose icon you borrowed, et voila.

In this manner, I've replaced all my J2ME apps' icons in the Home menu (which, by default, are all suitcases) with:

"Ringers" icon (image of a phone emitting waves) for gv4me (which I've also renamed "Google Voice")
    "Surf the Web" icon (hollow globe showing the equator and axis) for Opera Mini
    "Messaging" icon (envelope) for Gmail
    "Maps" icon (silhouette of the United States) for Google Maps

...in short, icons that somewhat make sense. I'm a visual person, so this makes it quicker for me to find the apps I've added to the Home menu than the "one-icon-fits-all" suitcase did.

Edit: It's also worth noting that in shortscuts.dat, the first PNG filename on each line is for the icon that is displayed in the menu, while the second filename is for what the icon changes to when you touch its menu entry. In most cases, they're the same, but there are some exceptions.
    Last edited by El Schisne; 11-10-2010 at 09:17 AM.

BABY NEWB

I think we need to find where the nam lock is on it.
    I no longer have the phone in front of me to try this. ownmart had a good idea about using cdma workshop to fix the nam lock on it. Dose anybody have one to try it. Its on the bottom right corner of the nam tab.

Thanks ownmart for all your help yesterday.

Newb

How do I get my Lg rumor touch in to dm mode?

Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by loukin View Post
    How do I get my Lg rumor touch in to dm mode?

see here:
    [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

Apprentice

I no longer have the phone in front of me to try this. ownmart had a good idea about using cdma workshop to fix the nam lock on it. Dose anybody have one to try it. Its on the bottom right corner of the nam tab.

Thanks ownmart for all your help yesterday.
    I tried cdma ws 2.7 (it's what I've got on hand) and had no luck.
    Changed all kinds of settings under the nam tab, and tried to write a prl under the other tab both with and without altered nam settings.
    nam2 doesn't respond, had to work with nam1.
    ws said failed to write prl, but my phone lost track of its towers and went looking for service. Phone info on the handset said still prl 61006. on a reboot it went back to virgin mobile towers.
    if you'd like to give me more specific directions and a link to a more recent version of cdma ws, I'll try again. My phone flashing experience is in changing operating systems and messing with onboard software, no experience changing service providers.

Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 345678910 LastLast