Join Today

Site Sponsor
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Old Timer

Quote Originally Posted by pityonu View Post
    Thank you very much for the pointers!

It does seem that I need some sort of hardware for what I want to do. Where can I start looking for that? The Smart-Clip doesn't have *documented* support for the phone :/
    I would give up on this. It isn't going to happen. I've been doing this for 4 years and came to the conclusion a long time ago that the only way to change the ESN on any motorola is to have a Dongle or a smart clip. And those are so ridiculously expensive, you might as well buy a new phone. And since I've never encountered this problem, it will likely never be a priority.

My advice would be to use this one for parts and get a new Devour. I'm just curious to see how you managed to zero out the ESN. I have never heard of this happening to a Motorola.

I'm just curious to see how you managed to zero out the ESN. I have never heard of this happening to a Motorola.
    I've seen it happen a few times, when someone is playing around CDMA WS or other PST's and don't know what their doing. I had a Droid that came in with a Zero MEID, the guy claimed he was trying to change it using CDMA WS and the phone rebooted with no MEID.... I baught it for $20 for parts, and used the screen on another one and made my $ back.

Newb

Quote Originally Posted by smitty68521 View Post
    I would give up on this. It isn't going to happen. I've been doing this for 4 years and came to the conclusion a long time ago that the only way to change the ESN on any motorola is to have a Dongle or a smart clip. And those are so ridiculously expensive, you might as well buy a new phone. And since I've never encountered this problem, it will likely never be a priority.

My advice would be to use this one for parts and get a new Devour. I'm just curious to see how you managed to zero out the ESN. I have never heard of this happening to a Motorola.
    For this one, I probably will.

However, as I said, I'm trying to get into this stuff, and as Verizon has the numerous and popular Droid models (by Motorola), I might as well get a good dongle now so I have it for down the road. I doubt I will have trouble getting the money back.

Has anyone used any of those dongles for Motorola phones that could recommend one?

Apprentice

The full Smart-Clip kit (with the required box+dongles+firmware archive access) costs $250, plus S&H.

I think that you could just get a sane, used Devour for much less than that ammount

If you plan to learn and fix a bunch of phones for a fee, well, it's a worthy investment, but it needs a lot of practice. But for a single phone and litte experience, better find a new Devour, or take it to a experienced technician that already has such box...

ESN/MEID repair is basically the one and only thing that is not only insanely hard on Motorolas, but for the few models where it's doable, it requires that hellish expensive box with their "please don't pirate me" security dongle - in other words it will co$t you anyways All other things on (almost all) Motorola CDMA phones (from reading SPCs to full Cricket conversions) are doable with free tools and some effort.
    Last edited by dilworks; 10-04-2010 at 02:53 PM.

Newb

Quote Originally Posted by dilworks View Post
    The full Smart-Clip kit (with the required box+dongles+firmware archive access) costs $250, plus S&H.

I think that you could just get a sane, used Devour for much less than that ammount

If you plan to learn and fix a bunch of phones for a fee, well, it's a worthy investment, but it needs a lot of practice. But for a single phone and litte experience, better find a new Devour, or take it to a experienced technician that already has such box...

ESN/MEID repair is basically the one and only thing that is not only insanely hard on Motorolas, but for the few models where it's doable, it requires that hellish expensive box with their "please don't pirate me" security dongle - in other words it will co$t you anyways All other things on (almost all) Motorola CDMA phones (from reading SPCs to full Cricket conversions) are doable with free tools and some effort.
    Thanks for the advice man!

I'll see if I can find someone who can do this via craigslist or something. If anyone here on the forums thinks they can do it, don't hesitate to PM me!

Thanks again guys!

BABY NEWB
    Mobile Files Advisor

The Smart-Clip, MSSBOX2 and GM-Box are all the boxes that do Motorola ESN/MEID repairs, but none of them will work for any of the Droids.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast