Join Today

Site Sponsor
    BABY NEWB

Default Reputable Online PC Dealers?

So I ordered a mobo/cpu/ram combo from Ascendtech and it doesn't work. This is the first time I have actually had any problem with them....Oh wait this is the first time I have even ordered from them.

First the Motherboard is a Pull from a working system which makes the board used. That was never stated when I purchased the combo and they want me to return it at my expense so they can test it and repair/replace the circuits or chips that are defective. Since they are not a manufacturing company they say they have the equipment to do the low level testing and repairing of the board? So they purchased a couple million dollars worth of equipment to do this? Hmmm strange that Compaq and Dell don't do that. It's not deemed cost effective even with the "hundreds" they do that to daily.

<i><b>RE: warranty issue order # 277540‏
    Sent: Tue 7/13/10 9:06 PM
    To: [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

No where does it state PULL, OEM or USED on the page I ordered from. Nor does it state it in the description. Which is what was sold to me. Also the only thing I cared about was a WORKING product which you failed to provide.

You have already lied to me numerous times just to avoid the only issue that needs to be resolved. A simple pre-paid shipping label which you are failing to provide. As I stated in my previous e-mail I would be more than happy to pay the shipping for a full refund of 107.87. I didn't want a refund but you offered it when I would of been satisfied with a return shipping label so I could get the working product I ordered.

This is a simple matter you are obviously not capable of handling so I also asked for your supervisors contact information as wellas others so that this could get taken care of in a reasonable manner and it has all been to no avail unless it is your job to make as many dissatisfied customers as possible.

The whole site is very misleading have you even looked through the site? [Only registered and activated users can see links. ] no where does it state oem, pull, used, not once on there does it state what you just told me. You don't sell exactly what you state. If you did I wouldn't of ordered a non-working board. Who would? As for it being an "older" board since the LGA775 platform is still being manufactured then yes there are still NEW boards out there. I know this because I purchased a brand new ECS PF5 extreme just 4 months ago to replace my dying one. Why? Because it was still brand new and when I opened the Static bag up with the factory seal on it could still smell the PCB from when it was manufactured. Just because a product is no longer being manufactured does not mean you can't find new ones.

Since it is a PULL from an OEM it is a USED board that has been on for at least 24 hours where it was manufactured. That also means at least 8 different hands have touched the motherboard out of the static bag. I know this because I have worked in this field long enough to know the steps that a system goes through from start to finished product.

First the De baggers who take all the Items out of the Bag and place them on the trays to move down to the next station.. then it passes through numerous stations, one who puts the motherboard in, one for the memory, one for hard drives, one for optical drives etc.... Then it gets taken to the imaging where the hook up numerous systems to the network and put in a disk to write the serial numbers to the bios and finally download the images to the hard drives. then they keep the systems running performing benchmarks for the first 12 hours minimum. If there are any errors that system just goes off to some storage area where they may or may not get to them and eventually they get sold as a debranded system or for other recyclers to pull what ever from them. Now when it comes to your company I don't know how many people are on your disassembly line but that ads even more hands and a greater risk of esd but again still not an issue here.

What is the issue here is the fact I received a non working board when I paid for shipping once already for a working board and my request for a pre-paid shipping label is not at all unreasonable. I have read comments on numerous sites where replacements were even shipped out before returns were even received back without cost to Ascendtech customers. I do not want that all I want is a simple pre-paid return label so you can get it back, test it and go "yep he was right the board is bad!" Before you ship out a replacement set-up is that unreasonable? I don't think so.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    From: [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
    Subject: RE: warranty issue order # 277540
    Date: Tue, 13 Jul 2010 16:22:34 -0400

Hello

Please ship it back within the RMA time frame mentioned

I’m sure you understand, these boards are no longer made, and not sold for NEW systems

If you were looking for this board, or one like it. Then I’m sure you understood, you were looking for an older board

Most likely for a reason

At no place does it say it is NEW, RETAIL, etc

If you look over our site, you will notice that new, retail boards, are listed as, new / retail

It does say it’s an OEM board

And we say exactly what we sell here

Again, this board is a PULL,,, a OEM board taken out of a system that was built, but never sold or used

It was fully tested before it was shipped, and working when it left here

Essentially, it is new, but has been sitting for some time. And will shows signs of dust, and being installed once

As per our policy, if you are not satisfied, or feel the board may be bad, we will gladly replace it for you, or give you a refund per terms

Ascendtech.us carries a mixture of new, used, surplus, and recertified products. Certain items listed may be OEM, Bulk, White Box or Retail based product.

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

*Please Note - This Is An OEM System Builders Replacement Motherboard, And It Does Not Come With Rear I/O Shield (Back Plate) Cover For Motherboard. These Boards Are Made For Gateway And Will Show Gateway Logo At The Boot Up.

Thank you,

Steve

Ascendtech, Inc.

Sales: (216) 458-1101

Customer Support: (216) 458-1104

Fax: (440) 946-1101

website: [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

Operating Hours: Mon - Fri 9AM - 6PM EST.

From: Michael Lead Nerd [[Only registered and activated users can see links. ] Sent: Tuesday, July 13, 2010 3:41 PM

Well if you were honest from the onset of the transaction instead of shipping out used products when people were expecting new you wouldn't be a liar then would you?
    Business is actually quite well because unllike your company I strive for repeat customers and believe in fair and ethical business practices.

As for your response to the F rating by the BBB if it was a good company then it really wouldn't have such a low rating now would it? As soon as I receive the return shipping label from you then I will be more than happy to return the defective merchandise.

Actually I will ship the defective board back for a full refund of 107.87. I will also be glad to never do business with such a bad company again.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Date: Tue, 13 Jul 2010 12:28:12 -0400

Hello

Actually, we can, and do, a few hundred times every day

If you would like to watch, you are welcome to come in

I don’t know just how bad your business is for you, but if you need to resort to calling people liars and begging them to break the rules for you when the policy was clearly posted. Then I’m guessing it must be pretty bad

If that’s true, I’m sorry, but I just can not change the rules for one customer

If you can borrow the few dollars to ship it back, then please do so

If you can not, then maybe you can find another tech to install it correctly for you

As for the BBB etc. I’m sure someone will do the same for you, if you’re around long enough

I’ll change the RMA number to a refund at this time

It is good for 9 more days, after which it will be void

All of this could have been avoided if you had any idea of what you were doing

At this point, this conversation is over

Thank you,

Steve

Ascendtech, Inc.

From: Michael Lead Nerd [[Only registered and activated users can see links. ] Sent: Tuesday, July 13, 2010 11:08 AM

Wal-mart has re-imbursed me for gas. Other companies have and do send pre-paid shipping labels for bad merchandise. Also even though Wal-mart doesn't have to they will gladly accept items purchased from other Wal-Mart stores or walmart.com and refund the money or send out a pre-paid shipping label for bad items.

No you won't test it down to the chip and replace the chip/capacitor. It is not worth the time or the money so lie to someone who doesn't/hasn't worked with the hardware. So far after doing a little research and seeing the number of coplaints filed against your company with just the Ohio BBB my company will not be doing business with Ascendtech. The questionable practices of not letting your customers know the products they are purchasing are not new is downright misleading and fraudulent. I have filed a complaint with the BBB and the FTC consumer protection.

All of this could of been avoided with a simple pre-paid shipping label and now to blatantly lie in writing happens to be more icing on the Cake.

Date: Mon, 12 Jul 2010 18:11:09 -0400

Hello

I don’t know how many times I can say this,

The board was fully tested before it was shipped

If it died in shipping, was damaged once there, or is simply hooked up wrong, I cant say without having it here to test

But when we do test it, we will be able to tell you what exactly is wrong with it, down to the circuit and chip, and then replace that chip, if one is bad, no matter what chip it is. If you can not do the same, then how can we even know it is bad ?

Just like Wal-Mart, Kmart, etc, if you have something that might be bad, you have to get it back to them before they can do anything

And they will not send a taxi out to pick it up. Or reimburse you for the gas you used to drive it back to the store

When a customer gets a part from you and says it does not work ? Do you drive to their house and pick it up ?

Or do you ask them to bring it in for replacement ?

We have no problem replacing it. But it is your job, to get it back to us first

The RMA number is good for 10 days, after that it will be void

I’m guessing you must not have read our return policy

You were supposed to read it before making an order,,, you did agree to it

I would suggest you read it at this time

You also might want to read up on any other company you mentioned, you can do so at any feedback website

There are a number of people complaining about every one of them, saying they would not send a pick up label etc

It seems a lot of people do not read their return policy either

Lastly, the board is not used, it is a PULL, from a system that was built. But never sold

It was put into a system, and then taken back out of a system, it has not time on it other than testing

Again, all clear on our website, if you would simply read it

At this time, I will note in your order, that you choose not to buy form us in the future

I’m sorry we could not come to a mutual understanding

Thank you,

Steve

Ascendtech, Inc.

From: Michael Lead Nerd [[Only registered and activated users can see links. ] Sent: Monday, July 12, 2010 5:37 PM

Yes I did agree to the Terms when that came with buying a WORKING product. Your Product was NON-WORKING when I recieved it hence you yourself are not agreeing to the transactions in this matter. I should not have to PAY for RETURN SHIPPING of a DEFECTIVE product. There are numerous instances when companies pay for return shipping of products that are classified as defective or not the responsibility of the customer.

I have been on the phone all morning in this regards to various consumer protection agencies and am awaiting call backs from others in this regard. If this is how you do business then it is a shady business practice and places like newegg or geeks will continue to recieve my business.

Since this location is our second we will have stock to order and will not be using your company to fill our orders all because of this instance.

I am already out the cost of a new Motherboard/CPU/Memory at local retail prices because of this plus the money from this product because of a simple REFUSAL to send me a pre-paid return shipping label. That just shows me that your company does not care about return customers and does not have a good customer service department.

Despite the fact that the product was obviously used and I was under the impression it was new as your site never disclaimed that it was used.

Date: Mon, 12 Jul 2010 13:27:37 -0400

Hello

I believe we have already spoken about this

When you clicked on the BUY button, it did ask if you have read, understood, and agree with our return policy

Our return policy did explain, that it is up to the customer to return anything for any reason, and we will replace it or give you a refund

We have no problem holding up our side of the agreement. We expect that the customer do the same

The website clearly said, if you do not agree with our policy, then DO NOT click on the BUY button

By clicking on the BUY button, you do fully agree with our terms and policy

I’m sure that both our AG, and BBB can read and understand that policy

If you feel that said agreement does not apply to you, then maybe we should also

As per our logs, we show the board was fully tested, so in that case, the only thing that would make sense, is that you damaged the board

If our policy is not in effect, then maybe we should charge you for the damage ?

The RMA number has been made

If you decide to use it, is up to you

If we decide to post your name and business etc to a few of the hundreds of websites dedicated to helping sellers, I’m sure you will understand

Sites like [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

I ‘m very sorry that you feel that a few dollars in shipping is worth all the problems you are about to start

But again, I show the board passed all test before it was shipped, it’s most likely something simple on that end

Thank you,

Steve

Ascendtech, Inc.

From: Michael Lead Nerd [[Only registered and activated users can see links. ] Sent: Monday, July 12, 2010 12:47 PM

Problem being I need a prepaid return label. Since I recieved the product in a non-working state I should not have to pay for shipping back especially since it is defective and I will not be recieving and comp. I am already in the process of filing a claim with the Better Business and the Ohio State Attorney.

Date: Mon, 12 Jul 2010 12:36:09 -0400

Hello, thank you for contacting the technical support dept

We are sorry to hear you are having a problem with your order

I've made you a RMA number for TESTING / REPLACEMENT

RMA CQ-28456

Please read the attached directions

Thank you,

Steve

Ascendtech, Inc.

From: Michael Lead Nerd [[Only registered and activated users can see links. ] Sent: Friday, July 09, 2010 6:33 PM
    Subject: warranty issue order # 277540

To whom it may concern,

I recieved order # 277540 Just the other day and was able to get to open and install it on 7/9/2010. I plugged the power supply in and nothing..... The power indicator LED on the motherboard lights up but no fans spin. The power supply does not even engage. Connecting the power supply up to my tester it works fine. On other Motherboards it works as well. I went and paid retail for a new power supply and still nothing. So now I am going on two weeks that I have had this customers PC.

I need a new motherboard/processor/RAM combo shipped to me and also a return label and RMA sent to me so I can ship back this dead motherboard. </i>
    Last edited by leadnerd; 07-13-2010 at 05:10 PM. Reason: Email conversation in its entirety so far........

BABY NEWB

AHhh Even more for the Attorney Generals to digest.

You offer me a refund and cannot say how much it is? what type of quasi legal shady games are you playing here? Since Ascendtech Inc is not a Manufacturing company stating that you will test the board down to such a lowlevel to replace the circuits/chips you are a Liar. Since you have stolen money as well as misrepresented your product, again a lie. It must be nice for you to be working for a company that lacks in basic ethics.

It states OEM in the description but not the fact that it is a ued pulled part. Again a lie. So for me to apologize for something like that? Plus the numerous other Lies you have stated? No I will not cower down to your threats. You cannot even tell me that the refund will be the 107.87 I paid. If you cannot tell me how much of a refund I should be expecting which in itself is quite unethical.

Thank you for giving me everything that I need to NEVER DO BUSINESS with such a poor company again. Also I will tell numerous people about such bad business practices to keep them from doing business with your company as well.

Date: Wed, 14 Jul 2010 11:27:53 -0400

Hello

The RMA number is good for 8 more days

If you would like to apologize for calling us liars, I will consider apologizing for suggesting that you might have damaged the board

As I’ve said before, you have already spoken to management, if you would like to correspond with anyone higher up, please write to the address in the RMA attachment you were sent. As the board of directors are not in during normal business hours

This will be my last reply, you have an RMA number, our business is finished until we have the board back here for testing

Until we have the board, have tested and inspected it, etc. There is no way I can comment on the amount of the refund

There is nothing more to say, and I’m sorry, but I don’t have time for the games your playing here

Thank you,

Steve

Ascendtech, Inc.

From: Michael Lead Nerd [[Only registered and activated users can see links. ] Sent: Tuesday, July 13, 2010 6:09 PM

Your right but it does not state that it is a PULL or USED. It states it is a Replacement. You also have not said if the refund will be for the 107.87 as I said I would be happy to pay shipping back if that was the case. As for the leading and baiting what exactly are you accusing me of? Helping you protect the image of your company or pointing out the flaws in your policies?

What I want:

Supervisors contact information (3rd time asking)
    Confirmation that the refund you have offered is in fact the 107.87 That I have paid for the defective merchandise.
    An apology for sending the defective merchandise.
    An Apology for accusing me of damaging the product on this end.

Date: Tue, 13 Jul 2010 17:34:51 -0400

Hello

I’m sorry, but it does state it, in a few places, if you’re confused, just click on the mainboard title

javascriptrintitem('MB4INTD945GCL#0#1#T#0')

This was copied, directly from the link you just provided

*Please Note - This Is An OEM System Builders Replacement Motherboard, And It Does Not Come With Rear I/O Shield (Back Plate) Cover For Motherboard. These Boards Are Made For Gateway And Will Show Gateway Logo At The Boot Up.

You have already spoken with a manager, and he told you your exact options at this time

Then he gave this case to me to follow up on, and I have given you an RMA number

We have the logs here that show it was fully tested and working, if it is not working at this time, then it’s likely it was damaged on that end

This case is finished at this time. But if would care to write to the board of directors. The address is in the RMA attachment

If you decide to send it in. It will be fully tested again at that time. After it is tested you can ask for a copy of the test results, or protest their findings

Please be sure to write down the serial number etc, in case that is the option you choose

Please remember that the RMA number is good for 10 days. After that everything will be void and null

It is clear here that you are leading, baiting, and generally wasting time. Any further emails will be returned unread unless they offer something new to the case

Thank you,

Steve

Ascendtech, Inc.

You could have avoided all of this by buying a cpu from me at [Only registered and activated users can see links. ] check us out and save by using refference number sar1337

Here are my suggestions file for a chargeback with your CC company (Item not as described), You've obviously filed complaints with the BBB, that might take up to a month and most likely no resolution will come of it.

But here's some fire power for you.

Stated from the CS rep your in contact with He states the following:
    If we decide to post your name and business etc to a few of the hundreds of websites dedicated to helping sellers, I’m sure you will understand

Sites like [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
    Their Website TOS states the following:
    When you shop at Ascendtech.us, we collect transactional information, or Personally Identifiable Information, from you such as your name, telephone number, e-mail address, billing address, shipping address, credit card or other payment information and a password. Ascendtech.us does not sell or rent your transactional information to others. Ascendtech.us uses customer information only for the purposes of filling orders, contacting purchasers to inform them of their order status, sending promotional information, and enhancing the user experience.

With the above TOS, and the reps threat to list your companies name and your personal info with 1 named and a few hundred un-named websites is clearly a violation of their TOS. Use it against them if you want. Also check your local laws in regards to this.
    If they really want a pissing match give it to them.

Newb

Default Re: Reputable Online PC Dealers?

On 04/25/2011, I placed an online order (Order Number 302797) with AscendTech, a vendor located in Willoughby, Ohio, for a custom computer system. The order included the system price of $820.74 and shipping and handling of $41.18 for a total of $861.92. The order shipped on 05/02/2011 by FedEx, in a single box weighing 18#. The order was received and, upon opening and attempting to power up the system, it began to do a series of beeps. As a computer technician of over 30 years, I have dealt with issues like this before. When I looked up the motherboard’s manufacturer troubleshooting guide, for the 1 long beep and 8 short beeps code, it stated that this indicated a video card problem. I called AscendTech and spoke with “Steve”, who said for me to try to reseat the system memory. When I explained that the motherboard’s manufacturer troubleshooting guide had said that the issue was with the video card, he said it was his “experience that those guides were not reliable and that it was probably a system memory problem”, and that I should reseat the memory and try again. So I opened the system up, per his directive, and reseated the memory, but the system beeped again. While the system was open, I noticed that the video card was not properly fastened at the time AscendTech personnel put the system together. It was neither screwed down at the system rear nor was it properly clipped into the PCI-E slot at the front. (pictures showing this were taken before proceeding). When I properly seated the video card and clipped/screwed it into place, the system would not even power on at this point. No beeps, nothing. So I pulled the card completely out, and tried powering up again, and we were back to the beeps.

When emailed Steve about this, I told him that I suspected that the loose video card, which had not been properly installed by AscendTech personnel, had raked over the motherboard during shipping, and had damaged either the motherboard, the video card or both. I also told him that the power button on the system was sticking, and that the computer case was made of extremely thin metal and had bent at the back support rails, probably due to the video card. Steve emailed back that they would send a RMA for the item and that return shipping was my responsibility! When I complained that, since the damage to the system was not my fault, but AscendTech ‘s, and I did not feel it was right to be charged for return shipping, he said that this was their policy. When I replied several times, even asking his to reconsider and to ask his supervisor, I received an email from “Val” (supervisor) stating that it was “their policy to not refunding shipping.”

I can see this policy as being just and even needed when it comes to manufacturer defects that are beyond the control of AscendTech or return from customers who ordered something wrong, again beyond the control of AscendTech, but this is clearly a case where AscendTech ‘s own people caused the problem.

I sent the system back per the RMA, paying $55.85 to send it with tracking and insurance, per AscendTech ‘s request, on 05/20/2011. Tracking confirmed receipt by AscendTech on 05/26/2011. As of 06/01/2011 my credit card still had not shown a refund to be issued, so I emailed Steve. He wrote back saying the credit was issued on 05/28/2011. On 06/02/2011 the credit, minus shipping, was showing on the cards account, dated 05/31/2011.

Since this whole episode was caused by the failure of AscendTech ‘s personnel to properly assemble the system, which caused the damage and forced the return of the system at my expense, I feel AscendTech should refund both the original shipping of $41.18 and the return shipping of $55.85.

This is WRONG!