nothing has changed as far as using a router with any devices, when they killed the mifis last year it only hanged the way data was authenticated not the way the device can be used, as far as the device being slow the 2200 is VERY susceptible to being falsely put into download mode and if yours is that is why it is slow, blinking orange or amber light means dl or error, i have made several posts before warning about the 2200 and the use of usb cables with your pc and how your device will falsely interpret a low voltage change as a cmd to go into recovery or dl mode.
I even send this out with the paper i send with every unit warning not use data cables with your pc and this device but to use "charge only" cables instead to avoid this problem, this is a big flaw in the 2200 os that was apperantly never noticed or at least never corrected in any update, probly because this mode is necessary for recovery and there may not be any way to update or correct it as it is part of the devices bios or basic in and out system, if your device is stuck in dl mode i can recover it but you will have to send it to me. you can read it with cdmaws and it will tell you the devices mode.