Join Today

Site Sponsor
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Apprentice

Default SIM card needed on Verizon Note 2, Note 3, S4 to get 3G data working on Boost?

I'm trying to figure out whether or not a SIM card is necessary to get 3G data working on a Verizon Note 2, Note 3, or S4 that is flashed to Boost.

What I've seen so far:

Three Verizon S4's flashed to Boost - no SIM card, everything working including 3G and MMS (MMS via 3rd party app).

Four Verizon Note 2's flashed to Boost - no SIM card, everything working including 3G and MMS (MMS via 3rd party app).

One Verizon Note 2 flashed to Boost - can't get 3G working w/o SIM card. Must install inactive SIM card to get 3G to work. MMS not working with or without SIM card (No MMS via stock or 3rd party app).

One Verizon Note 3 flashed to Boost - can't get 3G working w/o SIM card. Must install inactive SIM card to get 3G to work. MMS not working with or without SIM card (No MMS via stock or 3rd party app).

The results I'm seeing are inconsistent. Not sure if there was a missed step somewhere. Has anyone seen this before?

BANNED

Default Re: SIM card needed on Verizon Note 2, Note 3, S4 to get 3G data working on Boost?

You need to look at the Software version they are running

My experience is that anything 4.1.1 does not need a sim card but anything over that may

We buy the cards in bulk now and just use them but I know its the OS

Apprentice

Default Re: SIM card needed on Verizon Note 2, Note 3, S4 to get 3G data working on Boost?

Thanks for the reply! This is what each one has:

Note 2: 4.1.2 stock ROM
    Note 3: 4.3 stock ROM
    S4: 4.2.2 stock ROM

All the Note 2's work without SIM card except for that single Note 2. All have the same OS, however.

Have you gotten MMS to work for those with SIM card? Send/receive photos?

iPhone Moderator, Trusted Guru &
    CDMA GURUS Booster

you can edit the phones to make mms work with a couple simple edits to the filesys,you will need root and a database editor to see and edit the files(some will require build.prop edit also).look in /data/data/com.android.providers.telephony/databases/telephony.db/carriers there may be another db file around the somewhere in the same directory or close to it that will need an edit,once in there you will see more than one mmsc but shouldnt be to hard to figure out which ones to edit (will require more than one edit) and also fyi this may revert upon hard reset,for a permanent edit look in framework-res.apk,but that is much more of a time consuming edit.

also any phone can be edited to work with data and basic functions with no sim required but that will require a different filesys edit.
    good luck.
    Custom tools and custom phone & mifi firmwares built to your specs.Contact me !

I WILL NOT ANSWER SUPPORT QUESTIONS THRU PRIVATE MSG.
    See mifis.us for unlimited data on vzw-AT&T-TMO-or some MVNO's (Resellers welcome)

www.mifis.us <--get yer unlimited data mifis here

Apprentice

Wow! Thanks for all the info guys! This is indeed cdmagurus.

Apprentice

BTW, is there a carrier-specific SIM card that works best for these Verizon phones flashed to Boost? Only tried Lycamobile. Thanks.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast