Join Today

Site Sponsor
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Thinking about buying a Desktop/Laptop specifically for flashing

how much do you think I should spend/specs?

I found a nice one here
    [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

I'm thinking thats gonna be a sick one based on specs

any ideas?

Premium Member

Default Re: Thinking about buying a Desktop/Laptop specifically for flashing

With 6gbs, you would need to run 64bit Windows. Drivers for flashing are really hard to come by for that. I wouldn't bother with something over 4gb. Windows 32 bit only recognizes up to about 3.7-3.8 gb. From what I understand, anything over 2gb in 32bit is excess for that matter. I have a dual core with 2gb at work, it does the job perfectly. I run about 20 different apps and about 10 browser pages with no lag.
    To simply seek is overrated. That's why you have search.

Old Timer

I second meanngreen. Get a machine with XP on it and about 2 gigs of memory and a dual core processor. I run that now and never have a problem.

With Vista and windows 7 you will have nothing but problems. I had a vista machine and turned it into an XP one. I got a Windows 7 machine and I could not find the drivers and even the compatibility mode wasn't the greatest for flashing phones.

Remember the profit margin in this business isn't the greatest. Stick with the simple stuff.

Premium Member

Windows 7 is actually not bad with the phones. The only real kick back I have seen is running QXDM. You must run the newer versions. Really you should stay with XP. The dates on these programs are really progressing in years. Compatibility is an issue all the time. If you must use windows 7, do not go 64 bit. On the 32 bit, if you have problems run the WinNT/2000 compatibilty modes and you should get by just fine.
    To simply seek is overrated. That's why you have search.

Mr._Administrator Mr._Pseudonym's Avatar

:^/ Over the years, I've owned a number of laptops, and I notice that the ones you can find in your local charity thrift stores are often suitable for running flashing software. Writing flash ROM data isn't the most processor intensive operation in the world. So if you want a second, separate laptop just for your flashing stuff, second-hand is definitely the way to go.
    Official CricKet Mafia member

Try to get an laptop/netbook and install windows xp on it. I am using an Aser Aspire One 11.6" netbook 2GB 250GB WinXP. It fits anywhere on my desk and is not very heavy to move. They don't cost more than $350.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast