Join Today

Site Sponsor
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Newb

Default Re: (ask) write PRL into iphone 4s unjailbroken 6.1.3

Quote Originally Posted by rich hathaway View Post
    yes untethered is coming,but not until after ios7 public drops.

Well, yeah. Dur. I mean, they've already got iOS 7 beta JB if I'm not mistaken, no doubt using (at least in part) one or more of the very exploits that they COULD have used to deliver a 6.1.3 JB... and then NOT been able to use on iOS7...
    [QUOTE=you wont be able to write a prl to those devices until the new tool is made public,you can write prl to iphone4s on some of the older os's but not on 6.1.3 at the moment.[/QUOTE]

Just to be clear, are you saying that it is currently impossible to write a prl to a 6.1.3 iPhone 4 without jailbreaking it or that it's just not possible to do with the tools currently available publicly? Note- a 6.1.3 unreleased jailbreak doesn't count.

Hey, while I've got your attention... would you be willing to answer a question for me? I dont' have a lot of experience with the iPhone 5 but just yesterday I had one come to me (it says it's a sprint phone, but evasion seemed to think that it was a verizon model. I'm pretty sure that it's the sprint version since it would be unlocked if it were the verizon model, or so I read...) that was still on 6.0.1... so I jailbroke it with evasi0n and set about looking for how to patch the commcenter on an iP5. I hadn't seen any commcenter patches for iP5s on any repos so I figured that meant the commcenter needed patched at a different location than on the iP4.
    Now, before you say anything about it... I've heard that the evasi0n jailbreak somehow prevents the commcenter patch from working...? Something about it messing with "what we use to write the prl" or some such... I have an iPhone 4 JB w/evasi0n on 6.1.2 (verizon CDMA) which I of course experiment on all the time... I decided to get some PagePlus service for it and so I went about "flashing" it... I patched the commcenter using a deb from a repo and then manually replaced the prl and it worked just fine. I even was able to install a PagePlus "bundle". I haven't tried it on any other evasi0n JB phones- the only time I had the opportunity I just went about things the redsn0w-first way just in case- but since redsn0w doesn't even work on the iPhone 5, I figured what could it hurt to try?
    (Sorry for the long-windedness) Whether or not the commcenter was patched in a different location or not I never found out as I stumbled across a repo with a commcenter patch deb that supports the iPhone 5. So I tried it and it seemed to work. I then tried to install a pageplus bundle deb which installs a pageplus carrier bundle, and rewrites the prl with the pushflag/baseband reset, repeat method. It didn't work at ALL- it said some error about Carrier which I took to mean it had no idea where to install the bundle because it wasn't able to determine what folder to use because it wasn't able to get the carrier name (310SPR for sprint or whatever). I thought the prl might have worked, but no.
    So I figured I'd try it manually- I copied the renamed carrier.prl and overwrote the one on the phone, went into ifile and used the plist viewer to change the prlpushflag to true, rebooted, ifile again to false, reboot. Lo and behold the prl was changed! Not yet realizing that iPhone5s (and all LTE phones, I guess) no longer do OTA, or at least don't use **288xx anymore, I thought I was done.

We put the MEID into the PagePlus database and got a MIN & MDN... having OTA fail repeatedly, I went about manually programming it... got apnedit and edited the cellular settings the best I could (WHY is it so hard to find the proper APN, MMS, etc settings for pageplus on the iPhone? I've found it before and would have written them down then if I were smart, but I know the user name, password ([Iphonenumber[/I]@vzw.3g.com, vzw) and the MMS proxy or whatever, but I can't seem to find the APN server address... I don't think it's just vzw.3g.com, there's something about pageplus in there too if I remember correcty.

Though none of that mattered as I was unable to program the MDN and the MIN manually. I installed this cricket bundle that enables the ##626# menu, but it didn't seem to work. I then went to try and enable it in the carrier.plist since I thought I saw that in there (at least on the iPhone4 carrier.plist) but when I looked through it in iFile, all I found was where the number was set to some 6-digit ##XXXXXX# code, so I tried that code in the dialer to no avail and then tried changing it to ##626#, also to no avail.
    I didn't really see anywhere where I was given the option to actually ENABLE the menu, just where I could define it.
    I also tried removing the sprint SIM card that was in the phone the whole time at this point, which didn't really help... then I had the notion of putting a verizon SIM card in and trying OTA (since I still thought it should work on the iP5) but all I was met with was a good-old carrier/subsidy/SIM lock message saying that the verizon SIM wasn't supported.

So, (again, sorry for the long-windedness) we now come to my questions. Yes, it is now plural and I apologize but at least I know how to ask questions that are clear and hopefully easy to answer, right? Oh, I suppose you don't really know that yet.... anyway, my questions are:

1) I've read people saying that there's no possible way to unlock a sprint iphone 5 for use on ANY other carrier yet here I am with one that is ON the verizon network with its MEID provisioned by pageplus and I think I'm just a few NAM settings away from it working. Part of me thinks that all I need to do is program the phone with its MDN and MIN and it would work fine. My first question, then, is HOW DOES ONE ENABLE THE ##626# MENU ON AN IPHONE 5? For that matter, how do you do it on an iPhone 4? I currently have to install a cricket bundle which does it but that makes me feel like a loser so I went and opened the deb up and looked at the scripts but wasn't able to figure it out (maybe I was dumb, that WAS a couple weeks ago and things make much more sense now... I should go back and look)

Part of me thinks that will work; the other part of me (he's the cynical one, but he's right a LOT) thinks that perhaps it has something to do with the sprint SIM card being in the phone. Since it won't work without a SIM and it won't accept a Verizon SIM I am starting to think that perhaps it is necessary for the SIM to be unlocked to be able to use the CDMA phone on a CDMA network other than Sprint. Not so much in whether it will see the network, as it is definitely on the verizon network since I changed the prl, but more like the network won't allow it without there being a verizon SIM card (or at least NOT a sprint one) inserted. Which leads me to my second question: Does the iPhone 5 need to have its SIM unlocked to work on a CDMA network? Do I also need to use a DPP SIM card (Gevey sim) to get a Verizon SIM to be accepted by the iPhone5 to make it work on Pageplus?
    PagePlus doesn't even HAVE LTE, right? They're just 3G, if I'm not mistaken... therefore, should I disable LTE on the iPHone5? (I already did).

If I have to use the DPP card thingy the phone would then be able to be used on any GSM carrier, though it was originally a Sprint CDMA phone, right? If I have to use the card, I might as well just go with a GSM carrier than try to get it working on Verizon/Pageplus.

So, to recap: 1) How do I edit the NAM settings manually on the iPhone 5? OR, how do I enable the ##626# menu?
    2) Does an LTE phone (specifically the iPhone5) need to have a SIM from the carrier whose network it is trying to use, even if it is (as it is in this case) a non-LTE, "virtual" carrier like Pageplus trying to use the Verizon network?
    3) Does the iPhone 5 Sprint CDMA require that the SIM be unlocked for anything having to do with CDMA? if SO, then
    4) If I use a GPP card to unlock the SIM, will that allow me to use the phone on other CDMA carriers, such as Verizon instead of Sprint?
    5) Will a GPP card used on an originally sprint CDMA iPhone 5 allow it to be used on the GSM networks as well? Say I had an unlocked iPhone 5 on CDMA and I inserted a SIM card from a GSM carrier- would that be all that is necessary to have the phone working on GSM, or is there more to it?

and here's an extra question that you don't have to answer (obviously you don't HAVE to answer ANY of my questions... ) since I didn't really look it up yet, but could you tell me exactly what the SIM card DOES in a CDMA LTE phone (Android, iOS or otherwise) and also whether that means that LTE phones are all CDMA and GSM? Or just point me to some documentation on the matter or something....

That's all; sorry if the post was sort-of off-topic or in the wrong forum or just TOO LONG. Of course, though I directed the question to Rich, if anybody knows the answer to any of my questions please feel MORE than free to answer instead.

thanks; even if you're somebody who only just read this post- that's effort enough in itself for me to feel gratitude haha

iPhone Moderator, Trusted Guru &
    CDMA GURUS Booster

wow after reading all that i feel like i just gave birth...lol
    you need to properly patch the commcenter to make the phone notice any changes you make to either nam or carrier bundles.
    i made and posted a few cc patches for iphone 5 here in the forum before i decided to stop posting them,so ck to see if your build has one posted,if it is, it is correctly made.
    if its not pull the commcenter and post it here along with what model the os build number and ill patch for you,but please understand i am not offering to walk you thru all that is required to manually flash your iphone 5,but just to patch your cc.i would be undermining myself if i did that.
    the new tool does not require comcenter to be patched anymore.

no you dont have to have the sim unlocked to put it on another cdma natwork.
    gpp's or sim imposers only unlock the gsm side of the phone for the specific os they are made for.

the sim card in lte devices hold the same info (basically) that the nam and data profiles do in cdma phones and some other info as well.thats why they wont ota without disabling the sim and making some other adjustments.
    they pull the mdn to be used and updates from the sim,thats why when you pull it out you got squat working on most of the lte phones,there are a few exceptions to this as some carriers use internal lte sims and some of the early lte models varied as to there dependencies.
    good luck.
    Custom tools and custom phone & mifi firmwares built to your specs.Contact me !

I WILL NOT ANSWER SUPPORT QUESTIONS THRU PRIVATE MSG.
    See mifis.us for unlimited data on vzw-AT&T-TMO-or some MVNO's (Resellers welcome)

www.mifis.us <--get yer unlimited data mifis here

Newb

Hi Rich

Could I get a copy of the patched comcenter too please. I have a iphone 4 on 6.1.3 and have tried several comcenters but none of them seem to push the new reliance india prl. I'd like to see try your patched comcenter too.

thanks a ton
    omi

iPhone Moderator, Trusted Guru &
    CDMA GURUS Booster

ok i will try to post it today a bit later in the iphone section
    Custom tools and custom phone & mifi firmwares built to your specs.Contact me !

I WILL NOT ANSWER SUPPORT QUESTIONS THRU PRIVATE MSG.
    See mifis.us for unlimited data on vzw-AT&T-TMO-or some MVNO's (Resellers welcome)

www.mifis.us <--get yer unlimited data mifis here

Newb

Quote Originally Posted by rich hathaway View Post
    ok i will try to post it today a bit later in the iphone section
    Many thanks Rich, look forward to it, I'm hoping that finally my iPhone may work :-)

Newb

Hi Rich, any luck with the patch? Forgive me if i'm bothering you too much, but I'm really looking forward to trying this :-)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast