Join Today

Site Sponsor
    Newb

Default Sprint ESN Activation?

Could any problems arise having Sprint activating a smart phone (Android Nexus S 4G) with a non-smart phone (LG Rumor 2)'s ESN on it?

Default Re: Sprint ESN Activation?

There are many problems that could occur.

A few right off,
    Phones, when connecting to the network send a unique ID so the carrier will know what device it is.
    While it may not be caught rite away it will eventually, sprint, will flag it because a Rumor wouldn't be downloading angry birds from the market. (example)
    The legal issues, it's a federal crime to change the ESN off a cellphone with out the consent of the carrier, manufacturer and FCC.
    In most states it's illegal to change any manufacturer assigned identifying marks or numbers. (keep in mind MEID's are assigned by the manufacturer and recorded by the FCC and then the carrier)
    I don't have exact numbers or case law, but by federal statute it's a 3rd degree felony to clone a phone and can carry a punishment of 5 yrs in prison.

Other legal issues,
    Telecom fraud (AKA phone fraud)
    breach of contract
    TOS violations
    many others

Ultimately I say it's upto you, if the phone is worth even a 1% possibility of the legal troubles that might come?

Newb

Quote Originally Posted by whitey10tc View Post
    There are many problems that could occur.

A few right off,
    Phones, when connecting to the network send a unique ID so the carrier will know what device it is.
    While it may not be caught rite away it will eventually, sprint, will flag it because a Rumor wouldn't be downloading angry birds from the market. (example)
    The legal issues, it's a federal crime to change the ESN off a cellphone with out the consent of the carrier, manufacturer and FCC.
    In most states it's illegal to change any manufacturer assigned identifying marks or numbers. (keep in mind MEID's are assigned by the manufacturer and recorded by the FCC and then the carrier)
    I don't have exact numbers or case law, but by federal statute it's a 3rd degree felony to clone a phone and can carry a punishment of 5 yrs in prison.

Other legal issues,
    Telecom fraud (AKA phone fraud)
    breach of contract
    TOS violations
    many others

Ultimately I say it's upto you, if the phone is worth even a 1% possibility of the legal troubles that might come?
    1%'s a pretty small window, And if I never use data and always download via Wi-Fi I don't think there will be any problems.

Even if you don't use data you still connect to the network, for voice, txt, mms, etc. The phone has a fingerprint [Only registered and activated users can see links. ] that the carriers can trace. This is how they find and prosecute many criminals.

1% is hypothetical, the % is actually alot larger. [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]