PDA

View Full Version : Curious about the SIM this phone came with

marawuti
06-20-2012, 09:27 PM
Just received this sweet little world phone, and I'm curious about the SIM card that Sprint has installed from the factory. Is this for foreign GSM use? Is it of any use?
This is to be my wife's phone and she has been very impressed with the ease of use.
I pulled the SIM and am using the phone for wifi activity until I can get the MEID repaired.
Are there any folks on the left coast who can work on these? Can this be worked on OTA?

whitey10tc
06-20-2012, 09:33 PM
Currently the SIM that come from sprint is for foreign use. Also to note that the SIM lock and s-off is a hit and miss deal. But rooting can be accomplished along with custom recovery and custom ROMs.

marawuti
06-20-2012, 09:54 PM
Sandy huh? I went to the U, um, when dinosaurs roamed. Guys from my 1st yr dorm painted the bell down south. Pinkerton was chasing them all over Provo.

Anyway, since I'm not motivated to do too much (re)cycling of SW & FW what would you recommend as a stable set? I became aware of Cyanogen a couple weeks ago then saw references to several ROMs here. I'm a little overwhelmed by the volume of effort folks are putting out, and the learning curve to select a direction.

Since this will be in my wife's hands I don't want to have root privileges available to her through any apps or widgets.

I'm a systems guy so I can handle the load, so to speak, but don't want to become expert in this. Any recommendations of service providers?

whitey10tc
06-20-2012, 10:10 PM
Sandy huh? I went to the U, um, when dinosaurs roamed. Guys from my 1st yr dorm painted the bell down south. Pinkerton was chasing them all over Provo. Pinkerton LOL! Haven't heard that name since the Olympics.

Anyway, since I'm not motivated to do too much (re)cycling of SW & FW what would you recommend as a stable set? I became aware of Cyanogen a couple weeks ago then saw references to several ROMs here. I'm a little overwhelmed by the volume of effort folks are putting out, and the learning curve to select a direction.

Since this will be in my wife's hands I don't want to have root privileges available to her through any apps or widgets.

I'm a systems guy so I can handle the load, so to speak, but don't want to become expert in this. If you want custom ROM's you'll need root.
Any recommendations of service providers?This depends on your area but cricket is super easy to flash the design to. I currently use the Hero S which is the USCC version of the design.
For flashing to cricket or most any other carrier that won't require a MEID repair here's a good tutorial [Only registered and activated users can see links]
Also has links there for rooting
for custom ROMS SDX is a good source
SDX-Developers Forum - Index ([Only registered and activated users can see links])

marawuti
06-20-2012, 10:29 PM
Thanks again. That will help as a starting point to learn the lay of the land.

I wasn't very clear. I wish to stick with Sprint as I have a particularly good legacy deal - SERO. I will need someone's services to repair the MEID.