PDA

View Full Version : Issue with flashing - Cricket could not validate phone

topeka723
06-04-2012, 12:51 PM
Hi, I'm new to this forum and to phone flashing, so I apologize if I'm not posting this in the appropriate subforum.

I followed the directions in this video (How To Flash Any Blackberry To Cricket - YouTube ([Only registered and activated users can see links])), and followed the instructions to flash my Blackberry Storm 9530 to Cricket. I didn't buy the software he was selling and instead just downloaded the Blackberry Desktop Manager 5.0.1 and QPST, which I think is all he was selling anyway as it was the exact same software he was using on his screen.

I used a random .prl that I found in the Blackberry .prl thread on this website.

When I called Cricket to transfer service to my new phone I obviously didn't have an MEID, so we tried the ESN found in the ##000000 service command and they told me that my phone was not validated.

So, I suppose my question is twofold.

When I flash my phone, do I have to call Cricket to set up service on my new phone?
What am I doing wrong?

Thank you for any advice you can provide!

whitey10tc
06-04-2012, 01:09 PM
A few questions and suggestions...

1) When you dial *228 do you get a cricket message?
2) Does the ESN match under the battery with what is displayed in the ## menu?
3) What area are you in?

Suggestions
There are many causes for the MEID to fail when cricket enters it, the biggest cause is user error. Have a dealer enter it.
Scrap using QPST and use CDMA WS 2.7 will do if you need to reflash it you can write the data parameters by editing the NV files directly.

topeka723
06-04-2012, 01:53 PM
When I dial *228 I get a messaging saying "The number/code you have dialed is incorrect. Please check the number/code you have dialed and try again". The voice sounds identical to the Cricket voice recording I get when I dial 611. Additionally, and I don't know if this is relevant, when I hang up after dialing *228, a pop up occurs on my phone saying "Activation unsuccessful".

In the ## menu it lists an ESN, whereas under the battery it provides a MEID HEX. However, there is no ESN under the battery nor an MEID Hex in the ##.

I wasn't able to actually even find an MEID when I was on the phone with Cricket, the Hex was all I was able to provide to the representative, at which point the representative asked for the ESN, which he entered and then told me that the phone could not be validated. However, I was able to find the MEID (after googling how, and consequently felt EXTREMELY stupid - as I had told the customer service representative that there wasn't one).

I am located in Topeka, Kansas.

So, now that I've found the MEID, is it worth it to call them back and give them it and try activating it again or should I just go ahead with CDMA WS 2.7?

whitey10tc
06-04-2012, 03:14 PM
OK take the MEID HEX and enter it at this site CheckESNFree.com - The worlds only free instant online ESN checker! ([Only registered and activated users can see links]) it will convert it to the DEC to give to cricket. That should get it on the account. Now for the *228 not working you could also try *22804 - *22809. But as long as you properly flashed it with a good prl, your MDN, MIN, SID, etc you shouldn't even need to OTASP, or even need to play around with cdma ws and nv items.