PDA

View Full Version : ViPhone 4 (5.0.1 ) Cricket Flashing Help?

recovere
03-15-2012, 07:21 PM
So I have an iPhone 4 (verizon) running 5.0.1, and I have never been a verizon or cricket customer.

I called into customer care the other day to try and get my MEID entered into the database, they told me it would be $15? Is that right?

Then told me it's impossible for me to flash the phone by myself.

Called in again, and got the same response.

So I guess my first question is,
Do I need a cricket account? If so, how do I get one without buying a phone from them?

Second is, I'm coming from GSM phones, and to use them on a different carrier you have to do a software unlock, is that the case with CDMA phones? (probably a really stupid question)

and last, I was trying to update my prls and I just can't seem to find how they are tied to a location?

Thanks for your time!

whitey10tc
03-15-2012, 09:43 PM
So I have an iPhone 4 (verizon) running 5.0.1, and I have never been a verizon or cricket customer.

I called into customer care the other day to try and get my MEID entered into the database, they told me it would be $15? Is that right?

Yes there is a charge for changing the MEID on an account.

Then told me it's impossible for me to flash the phone by myself.

Called in again, and got the same response. Incorrect, thousands of people flash their own phones.This also will depend on where you're located.

So I guess my first question is,
Do I need a cricket account? If so, how do I get one without buying a phone from them? Yes you will need an account and any dealer or cricket store should be able to set one up for you.

Second is, I'm coming from GSM phones, and to use them on a different carrier you have to do a software unlock, is that the case with CDMA phones? (probably a really stupid question)You unlock GSM phones and flash CDMA phones. While with GSm phones your info like MDN, etc is stored on the SIM, on CDMA's it's stored in the phone and needs to flashed (changed) to the new carrier.

and last, I was trying to update my prls and I just can't seem to find how they are tied to a location?

Thanks for your time! Without typing out a real tech answer, I can say the prl (preferred roaming list) contains items like SID's, tower numbers, etc. Just to put it as simple as possible.

[/QUOTE]

recovere
03-15-2012, 09:51 PM
Wow, thanks a lot!

I don't have a cricket store near me, (well...the nearest is an hour away)... So I'm assuming to get a cricket account I have to sign up for a prepaid plan and buy a phone from mycricket.com

If that's the case they offer a $25: 300 minute, Unlimited text, Unlimited web plan. and then I'd have to buy a cricket phone (like the $20 one).

Would that plan work with my iPhone? I'm getting the gut feeling that it won't, but I'm hopeful!

whitey10tc
03-15-2012, 10:12 PM
I'm not sure how crickets paygo plans work with flashed phones so sit tight and hopefully one of the dealers will chime in on this thread tonight.

recovere
03-15-2012, 10:15 PM
Alright, thanks again for your help!

rich hathaway
03-15-2012, 11:23 PM
it will work with your ip,any of crickets plans will.

recovere
03-16-2012, 09:14 AM
Alright I ordered the $25 plan with a Samsung Chrono, it should be here tomorrow.
So then I activated the phone and I pay you guys the $7 to add my MEID, right? From there I get to experiment right haha.

Is there any way to get the prl I need out of the Samsung Chrono?

rich hathaway
03-16-2012, 09:21 AM
ya you can get from that phone but why dont you just get it from the prl thread we have here?

recovere
03-16-2012, 09:54 AM
ya you can get from that phone but why dont you just get it from the prl thread we have here?

Don't PRLs depend on location? (Again I'm completely new to this)

And if they do, I have no idea how to figure out which PRL is for Alabama lol