PDA

View Full Version : ALLTEL iPhone 4 help with data & MMS

tenthirty2
03-09-2012, 03:37 AM
Hey guys,

So glad I stumbled onto your forum. I've searched, and can't quite find the answers. I have a Verizon iPhone 4 running 5.01 (9A405), with modem firmware 3.0.03. I rooted the phone using the latest version of Redsn0w with no problems. I pushed an Alltel prl file to the phone using the SSH method, activated the phone, and for good measure used the OTA programming. The phone makes and receives calls and sms. HOWEVER, I didn't read til later about patching the commcenter to bypass the signature check so I could get data and MMS working. I downloaded the commcenter patch from cydia (v.backspace.jp).

Now comes the hard part. Every download, every tutorial, seems to be about getting data and MMS to work with any and every carrier but ALLTEL. Tried going to the "Unlockit" site to flash APN settings, but again, no ALLTEL. I can't manually edit settings in the settings menu of the phone as I've read on some forums, all I have is the option to turn data on or off, but not manually enter field information. Could someone PLEASE help me? I studied the carrier plist that I downloaded from my phone using SSH and a pList editor, but can't for the life of me figure out exactly what Verizon values I need to substitute with ALLTEL. I am not new to rooting and flashing, been flashing roms since back in the Windows Mobile days, and most recently, HTC and Motorola Android devices. However, I am new to the forum because I'm brand new to the iPhone. I don't mean to be a leach, or a troll, and please don't flame me for not searching, I've read forum after forum until my eyes bleed! Any help is GREATLY and SINCERELY appreciated..

rich hathaway
03-09-2012, 10:04 AM
first of all that patch is for iphone 4s not iphone4 so remove it,then look in the forum we have the iphone4 patch posted by a member install that one,second altell is verizon so you should have a leg up on getting this working,i think verizon charges a little extra for data on iphone(not sure) but try calling custy serv and see if they can get it set up for you since it is a verizon phone after all.

tenthirty2
03-09-2012, 11:21 AM
Thanks for the quick response Rich! I'll get that patch removed and update with the correct one.

I'm an actual Alltel (ATNI) customer, from a non-divested market. Verizon couldn't keep Alltel here because they already had a footprint here and would have had a monopoly. So they're two different companies here with two different setting and credentials as far as mms & data are concerned. I know the values are easy enough to find online. I even backed up the APN from my Droid X, but it only has MMS setting, the baseband contains the data parameters.

You've got me halfway there with the correct patch, if you can help me figure out what to edit? It's in the carrier plist right? Wonder what Verizon data to substitute for Alltel?

Sent from my Milestone X using Tapatalk

tenthirty2
03-09-2012, 11:24 AM
Verizon has a horrible tower infrastructure here in southern Illinois, whereas Alltel purchased a local startup telecom called First Cellular several years ago that had a great network built up in the 618 area code. But anyway, I'm hijacking my own thread and getting off topic, sorry!

tenthirty2
03-09-2012, 11:40 AM
To be clear Rich, I just checked out that commcenter patch in Cydia, it says my device (iPhone 4 CDMA 5.0.1) IS supported? You're saying though it's not? Just want to be sure before take it off.

rich hathaway
03-09-2012, 07:09 PM
ok that repo has been updated to now support 3gs thru 4s devices on most recent os's so if installed in the last few days your good,if your not sure uninstall then reinstall.when i posted it,it had not been updated.