PDA

View Full Version : San Antonio,TX: Since Cricket outage, I have not been able to make phone calls out.

eramirezus
09-22-2011, 11:14 PM
I am using a flashed (Jiminy Cricket ROM) HTC EVO phone on Cricket and since the "outage" this weekend...

I have been unable to make phone calls OUT. I can receive them just fine! My mobile web works, texting works but I can't make phone calls out at all. When I try to make phone calls, it tries to dial and then 20 seconds later a message comes up saying, "Call origination attempt fails due to an immediate signal loss (signal fade or no service available)."

I can't do the *228 as the phone won't let me do it at all! I have "reflashed" my phone with so many different PRL (preferred roaming list) files hoping one of them will work. One did "sorta" work but the calling was sporadic. I DO have "bars" on my phone and I have been all over the city trying to use my phone so I am not in a "dead zone" of any kind.

I really do not believe it's my phone that's the problem but of course I could be wrong. I didn't alter or mess up the phone in any way, and I have tried many different PRL files which should have worked by now.

I went to a Cricket store in person and they couldn't do much. They told me to try a certain PRL file which I couldn't find online.

Someone help! Ideas? Suggestions? Any new PRL files that I can try?

captainkirks
09-22-2011, 11:35 PM
can you make a call dialing your area code than the number?

whitey10tc
09-22-2011, 11:47 PM
Try this:
dial ##data#
choose edit enter SPC code
choose advanced scroll to EVRC-B choose disable, scroll to home origin choose EVRC or voice 13k (depending on the current setting) scroll to roam origin and do the same as home origin.
And report back if successful or failure.

Also what PRL did cricket suggest that you can't find, I'm sure if we know the number someone can come up with it.

eramirezus
09-23-2011, 12:14 AM
can you make a call dialing your area code than the number?

I tried dialing with the area code and number and without area code and number and both won't work.

eramirezus
09-23-2011, 12:17 AM
Try this:
dial ##data#
choose edit enter SPC code
choose advanced scroll to EVRC-B choose disable, scroll to home origin choose EVRC or voice 13k (depending on the current setting) scroll to roam origin and do the same as home origin.
And report back if successful or failure.

Also what PRL did cricket suggest that you can't find, I'm sure if we know the number someone can come up with it.

I tried your suggestion and no-go. I will add that when I did switch Home origin and Roam origin to EVRC it defaulted back to 13k when I went in there to look afterwards.

The PRL a Cricket rep said that I needed is: 45568.

whitey10tc
09-23-2011, 12:36 AM
I tried your suggestion and no-go. I will add that when I did switch Home origin and Roam origin to EVRC it defaulted back to 13k when I went in there to look afterwards.

The PRL a Cricket rep said that I needed is: 45568.Did you click confirm and let the phone reset after making the changes. You can also change those setting with QPST.

We'll see if a dealer can post the PRL soon.

eramirezus
09-23-2011, 12:46 AM
Did you click confirm and let the phone reset after making the changes. You can also change those setting with QPST.

We'll see if a dealer can post the PRL soon.

I'm using QPST. I click on "Write to phone" and the phone automatically reboots by itself.

whitey10tc
09-23-2011, 01:02 AM
I'm using QPST. I click on "Write to phone" and the phone automatically reboots by itself.Does it give a write error before or after it reboots?

I'm thinking something has happened in the flash. I have seen it many times where people can receive calls but not make outgoing and 9 of 10 times it's the voice 13k needs to change to evrc. Last year in the Boise ID market cricket changed and left a lot of phones doing the same thing.

eramirezus
09-23-2011, 10:33 AM
Does it give a write error before or after it reboots?

I'm thinking something has happened in the flash. I have seen it many times where people can receive calls but not make outgoing and 9 of 10 times it's the voice 13k needs to change to evrc. Last year in the Boise ID market cricket changed and left a lot of phones doing the same thing.

Actually, yes! It did give me an error but I ignored it and it gave me the error, if I recall right before the phone rebooted. When I get home after 10pm tonight I will post up what the error says.

eramirezus
09-23-2011, 09:40 PM
I FEEL LIKE SUCH A KLUTZ!

I did a CLEAN and fresh flash this time around (instead of ROM restore from a previous state that I saved in ROM manager) and erased everything and NOW I can make outgoing calls! Woohoo!!

Problem solved!!! :)

whitey10tc
09-23-2011, 09:42 PM
I FEEL LIKE SUCH A KLUTZ!

I did a CLEAN and fresh flash this time around (instead of ROM restore from a previous state that I saved in ROM manager) and erased everything and NOW I can make outgoing calls! Woohoo!!

Problem solved!!! :)Nice glad you got it going.

eramirezus
09-24-2011, 12:10 PM
Nice glad you got it going.

Thank you for your help! I thanked you on here.

eramirezus
09-27-2011, 07:42 PM
The issue has returned again.

It appears that when I "shut the phone off" for the night, when I start it back up in the morning, the problem persists.

I even reflashed it in this scenario: I flashed it directly from a fresh Jiminy Cricket zip file I redownloaded (in case the one on my computer was corrupted) through ROM Manager (booting from Recovery - clearing Davlik cache and formatting)...from then I did a "factory data" resetting from Recovery....and then restore the backed up ROM when the phone started up from ROM manager.

It seems to work fine at first but then all of a sudden once the phone is powered down completely and started back up....the issue returns (can't make outgoing phone calls).

I'm puzzled.

The current Cricket PRL I have (that I flashed to the phone using QPST) is: 45568.

whitey10tc
09-27-2011, 08:03 PM
It sounds like there's a PST setting that is not sticking/reverting, I'm willing to bet it's the EVRC/voice 13k setting.
Sense it keeps giving an error with QPST, you may need to reflash it completely taking it back to a shipped ROM then do all the PST setting, root, then flash the Jimmy ROM. If after that it still has the problem then it's account related.

Alternately you could have a different phone put on the account and see if it has the same issue. If so it's the account.

eramirezus
09-28-2011, 09:13 PM
You may need to reflash it completely taking it back to a shipped ROM then do all the PST setting, root, then flash the Jimmy ROM.

Do you know which ROM I should flash it back to? A Sprint ROM? If so, which one?

whitey10tc
09-28-2011, 09:20 PM
Do you know which ROM I should flash it back to? A Sprint ROM? If so, which one?You would need to try a few of them and see what works best.
All the Supersonic shipped ROMS.
[Only registered and activated users can see links]

eramirezus
10-01-2011, 12:57 PM
I think it's fixed!

I didn't even flash back to a Sprint ROM or reroot. I reflashed in QPST but this time around, I selected "EVRC" INSTEAD of "13 k" as an option.

Evrc is selected in QPST AT>cdma tab> home page, home orig, roam orig (all 3 options put on EVRC)
"evrc enabled" is NOT checked (in the checkbox)

I did this on a "whim" to see if that would work and it did!

I must mention that when I did the "previous" flashing where the calling was "sporadic"....when it DID work sporadically...calling out would take about 10 seconds to just dial!

When I flashed it above with the home page, home orig, roam orig options all set to EVRC instead of 13k (when the phone booted up) it dialed RIGHT AWAY within a second!

I've made many phone calls out since yesterday evening and it looks like it's working just fine now.

I know how to flash my own EVO phone but I'm no techie...so I don't know how/or why EVRC works here on my phone in San Antonio, Texas...instead of "13k" but I just know it works so far. :)

I'm also using the PRL: 45713MyCricketForum.prl

zilonox
10-05-2011, 11:51 AM
Just wanted to add that I too am in the San Antonio area, and somewhere around the second weekend of September 2011, both my Hero and my wife's EVO 4G lost the ability to make calls. We could still receive them and still had texting, MMS and full web access though. I spent some time trying to work with Cricket on a resolution, but they failed for three weeks straight. I posted a help request on howardforums and whitey10tc summarized and directed me to this post. I just wanted to reaffirm that enabling EVRC and setting home page, home orig and roam orig all to EVRC returned our ability to make outgoing phone calls. So a big, BIG thank you to everyone involved in providing this solution!!!

Z

eramirezus
10-12-2011, 12:01 AM
Just wanted to add that I too am in the San Antonio area, and somewhere around the second weekend of September 2011, both my Hero and my wife's EVO 4G lost the ability to make calls. We could still receive them and still had texting, MMS and full web access though. I spent some time trying to work with Cricket on a resolution, but they failed for three weeks straight. I posted a help request on howardforums and whitey10tc summarized and directed me to this post. I just wanted to reaffirm that enabling EVRC and setting home page, home orig and roam orig all to EVRC returned our ability to make outgoing phone calls. So a big, BIG thank you to everyone involved in providing this solution!!!

Z

Awesome! Glad you got it going! Thanks also to whitey10tc who helped to guide me to where he/she thought the problem was (in the evrc, or 13k) option.

I'm glad I took a chance on trying what turned out to work because it did work and that's all that matters. I've had no problems since then. :)