PDA

View Full Version : Iphone prl to cricket, but not prgramming?

yoyoitsevan
05-13-2011, 02:50 PM
I flashed the prl to cricket and had my meid added, but for some reason when I dial *22804 it doesnt even connect the call.. the prl is 32500, I'm running 4.2.8

when I dial #228 it says "welcome to your wireless carrier" instead of welcome to cricket...

there's been talk of mayube I have to do more than just edit my prl file? Something about changing an SID or something else in the PRI file?

I'm not sure, but I tried changing the SID to 4729 like I saw in a post... still nothing happened..

idk what to do, please help?

whitey10tc
05-13-2011, 03:13 PM
I would ask this,

Is 4729 the SID for your area?
Are you in a cricket market? <------- Are there cricket stores in your town/city?

I ask because looking at crickets coverage map, Roanoke, Virginia, is a partner coverage area. Meaning, if you do get service it could be terminated for abuse of the partner coverage. This could also explain why your not getting a connection to cricket (possibly no cricket coverage there only Sprints). Try going down to Greensboro and see if it works in the native cricket coverage. "I know it's a long drive" but it would be a good test on a theory.

yoyoitsevan
05-13-2011, 03:29 PM
There's a cricket retailer in Washington DC and in Arlington, VA.. but I'm not really in the position to drive to either of those places... is there something else I could try? I already paid to set up my account and everything. MY prl has been flashed to 32500... but if theres some other settings I should try let me know.. I don't even know anything about SID so I don't now if its the right number for my area or not..

rich hathaway
05-13-2011, 05:06 PM
check this thread for cricket sid if it is not there google it for your cricket sid

[Only registered and activated users can see links]

rich hathaway
05-13-2011, 05:15 PM
I flashed the prl to cricket and had my meid added, but for some reason when I dial *22804 it doesnt even connect the call.. the prl is 32500, I'm running 4.2.8

when I dial #228 it says "welcome to your wireless carrier" instead of welcome to cricket...

there's been talk of mayube I have to do more than just edit my prl file? Something about changing an SID or something else in the PRI file?

I'm not sure, but I tried changing the SID to 4729 like I saw in a post... still nothing happened..

idk what to do, please help?

by the way 4729 is san deigo,CA. sid for cricket

whitey10tc
05-13-2011, 05:30 PM
There's a cricket retailer in Washington DC and in Arlington, VA.. but I'm not really in the position to drive to either of those places... is there something else I could try? I already paid to set up my account and everything. MY prl has been flashed to 32500... but if theres some other settings I should try let me know.. I don't even know anything about SID so I don't now if its the right number for my area or not..I see, just an FYI Both DC and Arlington are AWS markets so a flashed phone will not function properly in those markets because it would be using partner coverage.

When you setup the account did they assign you a local phone number for your area/city?
I referred to Greensboro because it appears to be the closest cricket CDMA market to Roanoke, Virginia, take a look at the cricket coverage map.

good luck and let us know how it works out. Some have had success with flashed phones on the partner coverage.

yoyoitsevan
05-13-2011, 09:24 PM
they assigned me with a greensboro number, which I'm fine with, but when I was setting it up he was sure that there was at least talk/text coverage here.. so whats the SID for greensboro? I just kinda replaced "2004" in my .Pri file with "6523" cuz I read somewhere thats was NC, but is it the wrong one?

rich hathaway
05-13-2011, 11:05 PM
5586 i believe is the correct sid for greensboro

whitey10tc
05-13-2011, 11:36 PM
I wish you luck and please prove me wrong, but here's my take on it.

1> Yes there is talk/text coverage in you area But! It's partner coverage.
2> You most likely will not otasp in the area because it is a partner network and there are no cricket towers.
3> All of this is why I recommend you to take the long trip to Greensboro to.
4> In the end, it might take cricket 1 month or if your lucky 12 months but eventually they will catch the over use on the partner coverage and terminate your phone. I've seen it happen with a friend in Vegas with a flashed phone I sent him.

yoyoitsevan
05-14-2011, 12:57 AM
okay, I'm about to drive to greensboro which is 2 hours away just to program this phone. I really hope it works.

Just to remind yall I'm dialing *228 and *22804 (and *22807) to program ota, so I hope when I get there, I didn't waste 40 bucks in gas for nothing :(

I kept my prl at 32500 with an eri of 5, and I always get the can't activate screen on itunes. it constantly reminds me on my iphone that activation has failed and asks me to either try again or ignore.... do you guys with cdma iphone 4's have the same annoying popup? will that eventually disappear or is there something I have to do? Syncing with Itunes gave me a 0000000065 telephone number..will that change?

so please paste some info soon guys... I'm on my way on this trip, I REALLLY hope I'm not driving two hours for nothing :(

whitey10tc
05-14-2011, 01:57 AM
Just to remind yall I'm dialing *228 and *22804 (and *22807) to program ota, so I hope when I get there, I didn't waste 40 bucks in gas for nothing
I would hope not! I would also recommend waiting til tomorrow and see if anyone else has any other ideas.

yoyoitsevan
05-14-2011, 02:15 AM
I only have one chance as work schedule is limited..if this doesn't work ill at least know its not a network problem. P.s I'm just driving to greensboro downtown and I changed the pri file to the greensboro number you gave me too,so....wish me luck! :)

whitey10tc
05-14-2011, 02:51 AM
Good luck let us know how it turns out.

yoyoitsevan
05-14-2011, 07:13 AM
okay so I just got back, and its activated, it works, I can call out and people can call me... I can also send texts... but I can't receive them. oh and no data, but that was expected...for now.

anyways, any advice on the sms probs?

rich hathaway
05-14-2011, 08:50 AM
damn dont you guys ever sleep?lol.. there is no fix for sms yet,there is a improvement for it, however you should stop messing with that phone,because every time you reset or screw something up yer gonna have to drive out there to reactivate it again.

i posted a custom 4.2.6 ipsw that wil improve a litte on the text prob's,but wil not fix it.but like i said you will have to re-ota it. or start reading and learning how to write mdn,min manually to that phone.

yoyoitsevan
05-14-2011, 09:55 AM
i posted a custom 4.2.6 ipsw that wil improve a litte on the text prob's,but wil not fix it.but like i said you will have to re-ota it. or start reading and learning how to write mdn,min manually to that phone.

So.. if I reflash your custom 4.2.6 ipsw to my phone.. I'll have to drive back to north carolina again? ...but it'll slightly improve my texting? oh i dont even wanna have to think about that...

rich hathaway
05-14-2011, 10:29 AM
just wait a custom ipsw for cricket is in the works that should have all features except maybe facetime working.save your trip for that one.

whitey10tc
05-14-2011, 12:09 PM
okay so I just got back, and its activated, it works, I can call out and people can call me... I can also send texts... but I can't receive them. oh and no data, but that was expected...for now.

anyways, any advice on the sms probs?Thank you for testing a theory. It makes me feel "not so crazy" now. I would say listen to Rich for the text and data issues.

csx
05-16-2011, 09:24 PM
just had a verizon iphone 4 flashed to Cricket today, everything (call/receive call, send text only) works except for the "receiving" sms. desperately waiting for a custom firmware. Otherwise I would have to cancel cricket on iphone.

Firmware 4.2.8 jailbroken
Cannot send sms to some #'s of different carriers.
Cannot receive any incoming txt.

nocturnaltampa
05-19-2011, 12:12 AM
so you did it ota ? im on metro network and had same issue with phone # being 00000..etc , *228 gets metro i update roaming list,, but i think im missing something with ota,hats the procedure for metro?

nocturnaltampa
05-19-2011, 12:13 AM

anyways, any advice on the sms probs?
so you did it ota ? im on metro network and had same issue with phone # being 00000..etc , *228 gets metro i update roaming list,, but i think im missing something with ota,hats the procedure for metro?

yoyoitsevan
05-19-2011, 10:00 AM
yea I did it OTA... I guess I wasn't in a big enough cricket network area or something, I had to go where their towers would pick up best and then I dialed *228 and it said welcome to cricket.

..maybe look up metro's areas closest to you where the signal is the strongest.. unless something is wrong with your programming, thats what I had to do

Hope this helps :)

arvinghost
05-22-2011, 04:06 PM
how to program the phone number and MIN

yoyoitsevan
05-22-2011, 06:36 PM
Well... Assuming you've already registered with cricket and flashed ur phone the OTA should do the number programming itself... Worked for me, but like I said I had to drive 2 hours to do it.

motley28
06-09-2011, 07:47 AM
U cant receive any incoming text? Not even from someone on cricket? I can receive texts from from other cricket users but nobody else not even text from others using text app and wifi. Ive tried proramming a couple custom firmwares and no luck yet with full services. Once had to start over.

jackfalk
06-12-2011, 07:08 PM
Does Cricket have OTA capability in the East Bay (Oakland, Berkeley, etc) California? If not, what's the closest city I could drive to?

According to their coverage maps, the bay area is Cricket native coverage (dark green) not partner coverage (Sprint, light green) -- aside from a few remote areas in the regional parks. This is a bit surprising, since Cricket won't activate new accounts here.

However, after loading PRLs 42700 and 42900, dialing *228 gives me the message "your account is not authorized to make calls to this phone number" -- plugging that into google reveals that it is a Sprint message!

If I do manage to get my iPhone4 working, will I be using Sprint service here? I understand that'll get my account terminated eventually. I thought dark green meant Cricket native coverage!

rich hathaway
06-13-2011, 10:58 AM
try *22804,dark green does represent cricket coverage,and the "not opening of new accts." does represent partner coverage,so that is a bit confusing.but try the*22804 and see if that get you to the "welcome to cricket" ota message

jackfalk
06-14-2011, 02:32 PM
try *22804,dark green does represent cricket coverage,and the "not opening of new accts." does represent partner coverage,so that is a bit confusing.but try the*22804 and see if that get you to the "welcome to cricket" ota message

Thanks for helping, Rich... unfortunately no dice. The phone's MEID is in Cricket's inventory and attached to the $45/month plan (I did this at a dealer in Reno, NV). When I try to OTA in a region of Oakland, CA which is dark green on Cricket's map, here's what I get:

*228 = "your account is not authorized..."
*22801 = verizon
*22802 = sprint
*22803 = (hangs up immediately)
*22804 = metropcs
*22805 = (hangs up immediately)
*22807 = (hangs up immediately)
*22808 = (hangs up immediately)

rich hathaway
06-14-2011, 06:04 PM
ok i just checked and oakland is dark green,give me your zip and i will see what i can find for you

tsaharms
06-15-2011, 09:35 AM
Try prl 32100, i've used that on a few iphones and never had an issue

To err is human. To really screw things up, you need a computer

jackfalk
06-15-2011, 02:19 PM
@tsaharms, tried 32100 and no luck, but one interesting change: with 32100, when I dial *228 instead of Sprint's "you are not authorized" I get METROPCS's OTA programming message!

Could it be that Cricket and MetroPCS have roaming agreements, and MetroPCS doesn't charge Cricket as much as Sprint does, therefore Cricket considers the MetroPCS areas to be "primary coverage" (dark green) instead of expensive "partner coverage"? This might explain a lot. Hopefully somebody with an inside line to Cricket can comment...

jackfalk
06-15-2011, 02:20 PM
@rich, thanks, I sent you my zip in a private message.

I'm also willing to drive an hour or two if anybody knows of a location in Northern California where Cricket OTA definitely works (just being dark green on the coverage map may not be enough...).

Thanks!

jackfalk
06-15-2011, 02:28 PM
More information: with PRL 32100 loaded I dial *228 and get a greeting from MetroPCS (NOT CRICKET). I went ahead and told it to "download the latest romaing list" anyways. My iPhone then said "iPhone activation complete" (the little dialog box popped up), so SOMETHING worked!

Unfortunately now when I make phone calls I just get a message that says "MSF02 your call cannot be completed as dialed, please check the number and dial again". So I did over-the-air something or other, but it didn't actually work.

Thanks for any help guys!!

rich hathaway
06-15-2011, 05:19 PM
check yer prl again,sound like you rewrote it to metro. for cricket your gonna have to use *22804 bro and be in a good signal area for cricket

rich hathaway
06-15-2011, 10:53 PM
@rich, thanks, I sent you my zip in a private message.

I'm also willing to drive an hour or two if anybody knows of a location in Northern California where Cricket OTA definitely works (just being dark green on the coverage map may not be enough...).

Thanks!

ok here your most recent map,hot off the presses from the zip you sent me.so you can see what you gotta do bro

jackfalk
06-17-2011, 12:43 PM
ok here your most recent map,hot off the presses from the zip you sent me.so you can see what you gotta do bro

Looks like it was TOO hot off the presses, Rich -- you didn't let the webpage finish loading before you took the screenshot! Here's the coverage map after you let it fully load:

You can see that I'm definitely well within a totally dark green area already.

But like I said, if I need to drive somewhere, let me know.

rich hathaway
06-17-2011, 01:04 PM
ooppss,ya know i loaded that qiuckly and moved on,i shoulda looked it over. it was all green.dont know what happened between the upload and the post. sorry. but i ment you know what you gotta do,that part i got right lol. if yer ota isnt working right or connecting to cricket then move to a full signal area. even in the green there will be "dead zones"

your sid is still verizon .prolly 2004 ,so the phones are stubborn sometimes to connect to cricket because of this.so watch the signal bar when ota"ing and after you hang up notice it will drop signal down to a single bar,thats where you have your "window" to connect to cricket,so redial the ota quickly after that.

i have had to dial it over a dozen times to get a successfull ota on stubborn handsets. so dont try once or twice and give up.

if your sure you got the correct prl in the phone then use the *22804 or the *228 which ever one says "welcome to cricket",and make sure your esn is correct on your acct. first.
let us know how you get along.

dimitri
06-24-2011, 11:41 PM
hello guyz,

Anyone tryed OTA in Chicago ?

I have clean ESN Verizon Iphone to play with ...

Peace !

rich hathaway
06-25-2011, 09:08 AM
chicago is aws,so may or may not work.

dimitri
06-26-2011, 01:01 AM
thnx .. I'll try and post the results ....

eric4179
07-09-2011, 08:26 AM
So that i understand you correctly rich. And what i read about the AWS market does this mean that if u live in chicago there is no way to flash a verizon iphone to work with cricket period?

rich hathaway
07-09-2011, 09:17 AM
no,it will work there,but it will roam.i am not sure about the ota,and if it will work for you or not.you may hve to travel outside yer aws area to get the ota to work.

DRAMER007
07-10-2011, 01:59 AM
please use prl 30000 n not prl 32000 if u need the prl just ask. prl320000 is corrupted

eric4179
07-10-2011, 04:53 AM
no,it will work there,but it will roam.i am not sure about the ota,and if it will work for you or not.you may hve to travel outside yer aws area to get the ota to work.
Ok now my phone is already jailbroken fw 4.2.8 i have open ssh installed. Now how do u suggest i go about flashing to cricket? the phone has a bad esn so i really have no choice.
I am new to this but i want to know the best way to do it now in light of all the new info.
and in my case being in chicago!
just need a simple how to....i'm a fast learning

rich hathaway
07-10-2011, 11:10 AM
use the tut here-------> [Only registered and activated users can see links]

to write yer prl,but like i said you are still gonna need the ota to write the min,mdn.so if you have no luckthen you will have to travel outside that aws(advanced wireless service) market to gain ota.i am curious as to how that will work in yer market as well,as i am not in driving distance to an aws market,st louis is 5 hours away. and no-one has reported anyting on this from an aws market.

but if im guessing yer ota will not work and you will be forced to drive/fly or send yer phone to someone and have it programmed.but by all means let us know how it works out,it will be helpfull to others in the same situation.and i would like to know as well.

a good nationwide .prl to use is 41016 it is new within a couple of weeks. i am gonna post it today in the cricket prl thread for you.

EDIT: i cant put it up for you until tomorrow because i dont have it on this pc,i have it at the store.sorry.

riverguardian
11-28-2011, 01:46 AM
Has there been any progress on this? I'm also in the Oakland SF area and can't activate OTA - I'm with jack's problem of getting "hello hello hello MetroPCS" on *228 and *22804, but no luck for OTA programming. I used 41016.prl...