PDA

View Full Version : AVG - WHATS EVERYONES TAKE ON IT? do you know of a better antivir?

rich hathaway
05-10-2011, 11:13 AM
avg - for me it used to be a no-brainer to use it,it was better than average protection

and better than average price--free..lol

but this 2011 version makes me wish i had the 2010 back.

it constantly f's programs up and removes drivers,most of our pc's assigned ports are in the 200's now,making us have to re-assign ports to flash and we all know that screws things up.

even though we ad our softwares to exceptions it seems to ignore and blacklist or remove them anyway and screw up the com ports up.

every time i do a berry i gotta go into avg and disable it for 15 minutes or crack utility and desktop mngr wont work, putting my pc's at risk and it is just a pain in the ass.

so gurus what antivir do you use? is it pay or free and how does it "get along" with your phone and other softwares?

and do you have a link for it?

i thought we could use a thread like this here since most of us are either on our pc's alot or make our living on them. and i for one am about to be done with avg...

wthigon
05-10-2011, 12:11 PM
I just use Microsoft Security Essentials. It doesnt load up lots of services like AVG and it has a small footprint. I used to use AVG but now it feels like it has been bloated with unnecessary crap.

lp14094
05-10-2011, 12:53 PM
AVG is garbage. it corrupted my computer and couldnt even get it to turn on it would show windows login i would login and had a black screen and my mouse would move on screen i called AVG and they told me boot in safe mode so i tried and it didnt work and they told me that they have have no idea how to fix it or what caused it and basically told me i was beat and take it as a loss i then asked them who my lawyers contact and they told me they have no legal department i then told them i want a refund as i bought the program the same day and they told me they have no way to refund. i had AVG on another computer and i uninstalled it and when i uninstalled it all my drivers got deleted and all my flashing software and even some of my windows components were removed. AVG is the worse to use if you want a good free antivirus get avast ive never had problems with avast AVG is a joke

ownmart
05-10-2011, 03:14 PM
avg was a pain in the ass to get off, I just tried uninstalling it, when I restarted kept getting blue screen. had to system restore to before having avg..(I just put it on last month). moving on to kasper its only $25 for 3pcs/year on amazon

whitey10tc
05-10-2011, 05:51 PM
We use microsoft security essentials also. Haven't used AVG since last year when it failed me and allowed the salitine virus in. That's what led me to security essentials and haven't had any major problems since.

ArkieKDealer
05-11-2011, 09:56 AM
MS Security Essentials here as well.

rich hathaway
05-11-2011, 10:41 AM
well it seems to be that microsoft security essentials are the popular choice,you guys that use it dont have any compatability problems with any of your pst's or any driver issues?

cuz i havent one negative about it.

wthigon
05-11-2011, 12:37 PM
well it seems to be that microsoft security essentials are the popular choice,you guys that use it dont have any compatability problems with any of your pst's or any driver issues?

cuz i havent one negative about it.

I personally dont have any issues with anything. AVG used to change ports and some other stuff.

crmcsh01
05-11-2011, 12:49 PM
I used AVG for a good year and for the most part did not have issues, I switched to AviraFree just to see how it was, works pretty well, no problems with it. Avast is another really good free choice. Both those work very well.

ArkieKDealer
05-11-2011, 02:32 PM
I've never had any problems that I attributed to it.

rich hathaway
05-11-2011, 03:17 PM
I've never had any problems that I attributed to it.

have you updated to 2011? we were always fine until we updated to 2011 and it is just trying to take over,almost like a virus..lol

ArkieKDealer
05-11-2011, 08:16 PM
I had to get a new computer last summer and the free Trend Micro that came with it was screwing up everything. Network guy I know recommended the Sec Essentials and have used it ever since. I think it auto updates so I don't know about a 2011 version.

rich hathaway
05-11-2011, 11:03 PM
sorry bro i was thinking you meant you were using avg. im gonna dl sec essc- on one pc tomorrow maybe give it a week to check it out,thanks for the info dudes.

ElBerryKM13
05-12-2011, 10:53 AM
We use microsoft security essentials also. Haven't used AVG since last year when it failed me and allowed the salitine virus in. That's what led me to security essentials and haven't had any major problems since.

You'll be surprised as how many virii got into my computer using MSE. If you have sensitive data i recommend you to stay away from MSE. I personally use Kaspersky but its not for everybody because it kinda bog down your pc.

kirby9058
05-14-2011, 09:53 AM
I used AVG when they were still Grisoft. I know use Avast! free anti-virus. That mixed with safe browsing habits has kept me safe from viruses for years.

wchriseg
05-14-2011, 02:48 PM
i am using 2011 free have not had any problems at all NON.. i do run a comport script on start up that clears all comports from the pc.. so everytime you start your pc you have fresh ports.. always keeps them from getting past 20.. as for programs.. i have not had issues with that either...

safwat2351040
05-25-2011, 02:30 PM
I tried many virus protectors but my favorite one so far is Avast. Avg like others says ----s up things somtimes, and i hate when you buy virus protectors and they keep spamming you with subscriptions and crap. My favorite so far is avast, i have been using it for a year now and im very satisfied saved me from many viruses.

amoamare
05-25-2011, 11:28 PM
NOD32 Eset
Haha
I dont use any Antivirus. Why. Just browse smart. Most Antivirus completely suck anyway I'm two and half years virus free. :)

rich hathaway
05-26-2011, 12:16 AM
how do you keep to adwares & trackers out,you get 'em with every click,no matter where you go.they can slow you down to a crawl.

amoamare
05-26-2011, 01:50 AM
Haha, :) ill have to share later on that.
I dont get ads, popups etc.
People complain about ads on here. I see them on my work pc but ever on my own pc.
I dont have flash, i dont have javascript etc.

rich hathaway
05-26-2011, 02:41 PM
i am using 2011 free have not had any problems at all NON.. i do run a comport script on start up that clears all comports from the pc.. so everytime you start your pc you have fresh ports.. always keeps them from getting past 20.. as for programs.. i have not had issues with that either...

why dont you post the script you use

many here could use it,me included.

so it deletes ports but does not touch drivers?

i have tried a few in the past but all have issues and created a bunch of work for me.

Pac3comm1
06-09-2011, 04:12 AM
I have a solution that will solve it problem for the next 39 years no bs. Pm me. For details