PDA

View Full Version : How To Load A Radio / Baseband : EVO 4g

markymark805
04-06-2011, 01:01 AM
This is probably pretty simple and general know how to most of you vets. But in my area, I haven't had the pleasure of modding to many phones that need a new or different radio installed yet.

So after using Big Willy's solution for my first EVO to Boost flash earlier today, the biggest part was I never knew how to load a radio since I never really had a need for it. So I found a few various tuts eventually and thought I would write up a quick one for all the NOBS out there (like myself) So hopefully it will get picked up easily in a search for people who are trying to learn as well.

If something similar is already on here, then mods delete this thread, I didnt find one when I was looking.

This should work on all phones needing a new radio and running android. As far as I know.

1. Copy the radio.zip to the root of your sdcard.

2. Boot in to Recovery Agent and choose the “Flash zip from sdcard”

3. Pick your zip off the list and then hit the power button to tell it to flash.

4. Let it run. Click on “reboot” off the top of the menu when its done running.

5. After you click reboot it will say “writing radio image”.

6. Your phone will then go to a black screen and disconnect from your computer. It will then show a picture of a phone. It will stay on this picture for about 30 seconds to a minute. Just let it keep that way for a bit, becuase its really working still.

7. Then it will reboot and go to a picture of the phone with a progress bar.

8. Phone will reboot again and this time it will boot up. When your phone first boots you will be greeted with a message telling you it’s checking for a firmware update. Go ahead and click cancel.

9. If you didn't click cancel it will time out after a minute or so.

10. You will then get a message saying you successfully flashed but it doesn’t display the radio version here so it’s safe to ignore.

11. You can go to Menu < Settings < About < Software and read under baseband version to find your current radio version.

And then your done and you should be rocking your new baseband/radio

xxSLRxx
04-06-2011, 04:44 PM
Another way is to just load the official RUU that includes the radio image you need. Be aware that this would write everything (bootloader, recovery, os, etc.).

DGD
04-07-2011, 10:52 PM
Any advice for downgrading radios? Most Evos are on the latest 2.15 radio (froyo 2.2 software), and all these meid repair tutorials say to load 1.39 or 2.05 radio (eclair 2.1 software).. I've tried just flashing the radio over the current 2.15 and it just doesn't work. Also tried the official RUU containing the 1.39 radio, and nothing but errors..

Boooooommm
04-07-2011, 11:16 PM
As long as your device is not hardware version 4 you can downgrade to older radios. BUT you won't be able to downgrade unless your Evo is fully rooted or you do the full official HTC update (RUU) from scratch that'll leave your phone in factory-like condition.

You can however do it without losing your current settings by rooting your device. There's many options to achieve this but the easiest root method available is Unrevoked.

[Only registered and activated users can see links]

SUPER Easy stuff:
Download and run the EVO version of the software,
plug in your Evo in debug mode (you enable this in Settings/Applications/Developer Tools and checking the option there),
and follow the instructions.
Unrevoked takes care of the rest. ;)

Once you're fully rooted, you can boot into recovery to flash any zip file be it ROM, radio, kernel... anything! I suggest you download ROM Manager from the market to get there the easiest.

The manual way of getting into recovery is by turning your device on while holding the Volume Down button. The Bootloader should come up, try to read some zips and whatnot. Once its done finding nothing, use the volume up/down keys to select Recovery, press the Power button to choose the option and now you can flash whatever zip file you need to flash from the Recovery and properly follow the guide markymark posted. :)

DGD
04-08-2011, 01:01 AM
Rooted with unrevoked. Tried 2 different recoveries first gave me a box with an arrow coming out of the box pointing to android icon before rebooting, second gave me 6 vibration pulses before rebooting. Still on same radio. Could it be my HBOOT preventing the radio downgrade? I have HBOOT 2.10.0001

Hardware Version 003

Boooooommm
04-08-2011, 09:29 AM
When you try accessing recovery you get this icon? If the recovery is not properly installed that's basically what you get: the Android out of the box icon. I did a 003 hardware last week using unrevoked. Why don't you try downgrading the whole thing to an older RUU? That always worked. The MEID repair process doesn't require root, the downgrade through zip flashing does.

[Only registered and activated users can see links]

I do remember seeing the icon you mention at some point but I did get everything done. I flashed that RUU, rooted with unrEVOked and then did the radio downgrade through recovery. Try that and let me know how it all goes.

Mind you, after your flash the radio with Clockwork it might just sit there in the icon for a couple of minutes before it finishes updating.

xxSLRxx
04-08-2011, 03:19 PM
Rooted with unrevoked. Tried 2 different recoveries first gave me a box with an arrow coming out of the box pointing to android icon before rebooting, second gave me 6 vibration pulses before rebooting. Still on same radio. Could it be my HBOOT preventing the radio downgrade? I have HBOOT 2.10.0001

Hardware Version 003

My guess is the hboot security is on and preventing you from downgrading the radio. I'd try root and go for hboot s-off, then try downgrading to see if that helps...

DGD
04-10-2011, 03:47 AM
I downloaded and ran the RUU from the link Boooooommm posted, after rooting via unrevoked, I booted into clockworkmod recovery and tried to flash the older radio 2.05 and after the reboot is when the icon popped up with the box and arrow pointing to the android along with 6 vibration pulses. Checked, same 2.15 radio.. Did the same attempt with RA recovery..same result different icon..arrows forming a circle with a phone in the middle. No go for the radio downgrade. I did double check the S-OFF..

Boooooommm
04-10-2011, 11:57 AM
... then I guess your last resort is flashing the Eclair 2.1 official RUU that brought the radio in first place...

DGD
04-12-2011, 01:46 PM
Tried all the Eclair 2.1 RUUs and the only one that will actually complete without errors is the earliest Froyo 2.2 with 2.15 radio RUU_Supersonic_3.26.651.6_Radio_2.15.00.07.28... Im all ears if anyone has any suggestions on downgrading radios to 1.39 or 2.05 on hardware 003.. Gaining root is no problem, its just not allowing nothing before radio 2.15 to stick... appreciate all the help

overthatscreen
04-17-2011, 12:40 AM
Thanks, I'll try this tomorrow after rooting my 003 Evo. It didn't seem to work on 004 Evo, so hopefully it all goes well.

trezegol
04-17-2011, 10:56 PM
downgrading the radio on evos has nothing to do with hboot or hardware version i have done many evos on boost 90% of them with one click QMAT the other 10% had to do it the long way since theres no way to downgrade your radio if your evo has the new partions i had had some 0003 with new and old partions and some 0004 with new and old partions so if your evo comes with the new partion system you cant downgrade the radio to used qmat but if your evo comes with old partion im 100% sure you can downgrade the radio

soloeexim
05-04-2011, 01:24 AM
downgrading the radio on evos has nothing to do with hboot or hardware version i have done many evos on boost 90% of them with one click QMAT the other 10% had to do it the long way since theres no way to downgrade your radio if your evo has the new partions i had had some 0003 with new and old partions and some 0004 with new and old partions so if your evo comes with the new partion system you cant downgrade the radio to used qmat but if your evo comes with old partion im 100% sure you can downgrade the radio

this makes it clear, so not all devices can get the radio downgraded.. by the way where can i check the partition stuff?

gadgetdaddy
09-11-2011, 02:22 PM
Has anyone been able to successfully downgrade the radio, with hboot 2.10.0001 and use the radio. I was able to downgrade the radio to 2.05.00.06.10, but it won't allow me to write.

Scuba
09-11-2011, 04:02 PM
Ok yall are making this way harder than it has to be....but most of you only have a couple of posts so I dont think you have looked hard enough yet...Although most of you did join before the guides were pulled so you should know "other" methods to do what you are trying to do.

madhakin
12-28-2011, 01:48 AM
what path do i take to learn the long way? i have these damn new partitions on 2 of my evo 4gz ... and i would liike to change the radio to 2.05.00.06.10 .. and runt the qmat script to unlock the radio... what other way are u talking about? editing in RC? please help .,,,, ive been reading and trying things for 2 months now... thank u