PDA

View Full Version : Eris not showing as a COM Port

markymark805
03-28-2011, 06:32 PM
OKay, im trying to flash this eris. I have all the drivers (at least that I know of) put the phone into DIAG mode, htc sync and the computer recognize the phone and syncs up, but i can't get the blasted thing to show up as a COM so I can finish flashing the blasted thing.

I only have one computer to try it on right now too.

Ive powered up and powered off everything a million times, reloaded and uninstalled and reinstalled everything I could think of.

What am i missing here? Ive tried with usb connection setting set to charge only, sync, and mass storage drive with none of them making a difference.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

Pac3comm1
03-28-2011, 06:36 PM
are you sure you have the right drivers? To my knowledge you don't need sync to connect thru diag mode. Also which OS are you using on your pc?

whitey10tc
03-28-2011, 06:48 PM
I would start off with the drivers and OS. Then move on to checking the com ports for conflicts, could also try to open the com with QPST and see if that helps.

The known causes I know of are, driver or port conflicts, bad cables and bad ports, and custom ROMs.

ownmart
03-28-2011, 07:57 PM
you could always flash prl via sd card if needbe and at least get talk txt on that bugger if it doesn't work

markymark805
03-29-2011, 12:49 AM
are you sure you have the right drivers? To my knowledge you don't need sync to connect thru diag mode. Also which OS are you using on your pc?

I think I found the right drivers, they were on the HTC site, but thinking about it now, it told me it was drivers but thats how I got the HTC sync on my computer. Ill go back and check if there are any other ones out there. And figure i had the right ones, becuase it see's the phone as a mass stoage device, also see's it under modem devices when I look at my device manager. Maybe I'll try uninstalling just the SYNC

I would start off with the drivers and OS. Then move on to checking the com ports for conflicts, could also try to open the com with QPST and see if that helps.

The known causes I know of are, driver or port conflicts, bad cables and bad ports, and custom ROMs.

I tried using QPST and it wasnt showing at all on any of the COMs ive added to qpst in the past. Oh and Im using Windows 7 sorry left that part out. Cables good becuase I used it on a Droid 2 the same day and worked fine for all I had to do. I did find one driver conflict but I fixed it and then it was still a no go.

you could always flash prl via sd card if needbe and at least get talk txt on that bugger if it doesn't work

Thanks Own, Ill give that a try if nothing else in the mean time until I can get the COM issue situated so I can work on the data part.

rich hathaway
03-29-2011, 08:59 AM
you need to select "charge only" use these htc drivers they work.
[Only registered and activated users can see links]

put them in a folder and lable them HTC_HERO_DIAG_Drivers

have you been able to read other htc devices?

so, 1-change driver 2- check/change cable 3-change physical usb port on pc 4- clean port on phone 5-if all that doesnt work go buy a 12 pack and immediatly drown sorrows ....LOL

markymark805
03-29-2011, 10:53 AM
you need to select "charge only" use these htc drivers they work.
[Only registered and activated users can see links]

put them in a folder and lable them HTC_HERO_DIAG_Drivers

have you been able to read other htc devices?

so, 1-change driver 2- check/change cable 3-change physical usb port on pc 4- clean port on phone 5-if all that doesnt work go buy a 12 pack and immediatly drown sorrows ....LOL

Ill wipe my other drivers and try these ones.

And I've already been working on that 12 pack! hahaha

Thanks Rich!

markymark805
03-29-2011, 11:58 PM
Rich,

I downloaded those drivers, those were actually the ones I already had, but I uninstalled the ones I had, installed yours, phones in diag mode, usb charge only is sellect, i got it set as usb debugging connection, changed the port my cable is plugged into. And still not showing up as a com port yet, shows up as an android usb device under my device manager though.

thinking my 12 pack will work better right now. haha.

whitey10tc
03-30-2011, 12:07 AM
Rich,

I downloaded those drivers, those were actually the ones I already had, but I uninstalled the ones I had, installed yours, phones in diag mode, usb charge only is sellect, i got it set as usb debugging connection, changed the port my cable is plugged into. And still not showing up as a com port yet, shows up as an android usb device under my device manager though.

thinking my 12 pack will work better right now. haha.Mighty sound insane but do you by chance have HWVSP, if so uninstall it also things like usb over internet can interfere with it.

markymark805
03-30-2011, 01:48 AM
Deleted teamviewer and 2 other programs similar to that . No HWSVP's. did a restart and tried it again, no go.

Also i usted the 1 click root on my eris already, would that have anything to do with it?

whitey10tc
03-30-2011, 02:06 AM
Root shouldn't make a difference, it could be a corruption in the ROM though. I'm assuming it's a shipped ROM. Does it show in diag mode when you do the ## code?
Sent from my Hero using Tapatalk

rich hathaway
03-30-2011, 09:07 AM
i have more than one set of htc drivers,it may be beezels drivers that might get it going for you,there are so many variables and conflics with programs and softwares and getting phones to show up and be read,you will just have to play around with "stuff" to get it right, i will plug a eris when i get to the shop today and see what drivers my pc uses,if i dont forget..lol, and let you know,but in the meantime do you have another pc maybe a freinds you could plug that htc up to just to rule out a port prob?

Wrecked Johnson
03-30-2011, 10:27 AM
##3424 Send

markymark805
03-30-2011, 01:28 PM
Ya i can get the phone into DIAG mode just fine. I finally got my main pc up and running and it has windows XP on it. Tryn it on that now... Ill keep you updated.

I dinked around with all kinds of drivers last night and still no go, and turning off and on and reinstalling stuff in various combos. Ill keep it on! Thanks guys for all the help!!!

markymark805
03-30-2011, 02:20 PM
okay, i can get my XP machine to see it as a storage device only now, it gives me the question marks in the device manager, but doesnt recognize the drivers at all when I try to put it to the folder where i have them stored at and labeled

xxSLRxx
03-30-2011, 03:29 PM
Try doing ##DIAG command twice. Sometimes the phone kicks itself out of diag mode on the first try (at least that has been my experience). After the second time, it should stay on the black diagnostic screen which is what you want.

rich hathaway
03-30-2011, 05:42 PM
did you use the option to "let me pick which drivers to install" ? if not use that option and point to the drivers i put up, i just plugged a eris and those are the drivers it loads.

markymark805
03-30-2011, 07:38 PM
did you use the option to "let me pick which drivers to install" ? if not use that option and point to the drivers i put up, i just plugged a eris and those are the drivers it loads.

It was wierd Rich, i tried that, but every time i pointed it at where i put them, it kept sayn nothing in the folder when it woudl try to load them...

UPDATE: first off, thanks everyone for all the input and the help, this is why i keep coming here and i keep up my booster status!

Its finally working, and let me just say, I HATE WINDOWS 7.

secondly, I had to use XP and completely wipe it of all htc anything, then i reinstalled android sdk, along with htc sync, gave it a try and it finally worked, got my com port working, and cdma ws and qpst all see it now, so I can work on the rest of it all now, 3 days of wanting to kill myself and it finally works.

THANK YOU ALL!!!!!

So sounds like the real problem was that I needed to use a clean XP and not motherf'ing wind 7!

rich hathaway
03-30-2011, 09:39 PM
lol i used to be like that with windows 7,but really if you use 32/86 bit it works better and you can work twice as fast and twice as hard with it as you can on xp.

but glad you got it going.