PDA

View Full Version : Permanent unlock for gsm iphone4 possibly comming...

rich hathaway
03-13-2011, 05:11 PM
this is as good an explanation as i have heard of the problems with gsm iphone 4 unlock for bb 2.10 and up.

as most of us know musclenerd had an unlock and was waiting for the official realese 4.3 to give it to us,and then a few days before he realised that the unlock he discovered was only working on his specific tmobile sim card,and no one elses,so it is renderd useless.

but alas there is an exploit that george hotz discovered a long time ago and was never finished,if completed it will unlock iphone for life making it not possible to be locked again... thats frickin cool!

so i found this , it was written by lethal over at sinful i check it out. it has to do alpha,and possibly alpha-numeric unlock code,similar to an spc for cdma. here is his explanation of it....

40 bit may not sound like much but you need to consider on a base scale that there are 10 numbers and 26 alphabetical characters that this could entail. This is presuming that the string hasn't any characters which brings the base number to 36.

Now what that is telling you is that if the unlock were 1 character long in our basic assumption then there would be 36 possibilities for the unlock. What that translates to when extended to 10 characters is that the actual "key" is one of 3,656,158,440,062,976 possibilities. That"s at a 10 bit encryption without the possibility of special characters (I'm hoping they don't enter the equation). Ok so at 10 bits we're beyond whatever comes after a trillion and that's exponentially below the actual value (couldn't tell you the actual cuz my calculator told me to go f*** myself when I asked it - 1.7868991024602e+62 to be exact).

Now if you've ever tried cracking a .rar password with a brute forcer you know that even a standard 8 character pass (even if its a dictionary word) will take between several hours to days. This is where the pass is fixed. If the unlock, as it sounds is tied to the SIM, and whatever data that contains, it could ultimately amount to turning the 40 bit code into 40 bits ^n where n is the length of the some variable which could theoretically be 20+ characters longer.

Perhaps a better example is this:
Give each of the 6 billion people on the planet the same lock and 29,781,651,707,670,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 ,000,000,000,000,000 unique keys each and tell them to go at it. When the one person who has the key hits it, everyone's phone is unlocked.

Basically what this is saying is we're rhymed with trucked unless they can find the algorithm that matches each one. In layman's terms, "it's March 2011, Uh, Ya..".

I really hope something comes and for those that will say "they said it would be out" or "WTF are these lazy foks doing?", this is a bit of perspective. The best analogy I can give that hopefully people will understand is this: consider the actual unlock to be the equivelent of winning the Stanley Cup, World Series, World Cup, an Oscar, Superbowl etc.

This is no small undertaking and the unfortunate part is that many people here will have to deal with foktards coming in bitching that an unlock hasn't been released. This despite the fact that they're getting the eventual one for free and thinking that they're entitled to it.

All I can say is that if you see them and hear them bitch, refer they here and be sure to protect the sanctity of the educated community that is here to further it and not just suck on its tit.

VERY WELL PUT , THATS A PRETTY GOOD EXPLANATION.