PDA

View Full Version : The Nerds Guide to Root

leadnerd
02-05-2011, 09:42 PM
This is being put here to Just give a push in the right direction or maybe just a different way to get things done. I have had some success and pretty much do all of my rooting of droid based phones this way.

Files needed for rooting are:
z4root
APN Backup and Restore
Root Explorer
CDMA WS 2.7 (I don't have the latest and greatest either)
QPST (the latest of course)
The Correct Drivers
Android SDK

You must have some knowledge of flashing as any droid can be a headache to achieve and remember this is NOT guaranteed to root your droid. I take no responsibility if you brick your phone. I have tried this on many different ones and had success. There are many different ways to do these things but this one is overall the cheapest way I have found.

When in Doubt hire some one to do it for you. This method may or may not root your droid. Some phones are different such as removing the sprint ID from the optimus. There is a way to do that and I can show you my way. First things first.........

1.) Make sure you have all of your drivers installed. You will need them! Open Device Manager, check that Hardware tab and if you don't see your device or you see exclamation points then your drivers aren't installed.

2.) Make sure you have android sdk installed. If you don't how do you think you are going to install the apk's?

3.) Make sure unknown sources is checked in application settings. Just in case ;) you are trying to install them on your phone after all ;)

4.) For ease of use make sure the apk's you want to install are in your tools folder. I use c:\android\tools for mine.

5.) Make sure your phone is plugged in and you open up a command prompt. If you have yours set up like mine type in cd c:\android\tools and hit enter...... BAM you are where you need to be.

Next then in that command prompt window type the following that corresponds to your apk file names:

adb install z4root.apk
adb install apnbackup.apk
adb install rootexplorer.apk
etc untill all the files you need/want are installed.

6.) ok here you go now disconnect the phone and tap your menu icon and scroll to the bottom. tap z4root and agree and in a few minutes you have root. After it reboots of course.

7.) now do an apn back up

8.) now cruise to root explorer and check out your sd card and go to apnbackuprestore folder and do a long tap on the file in their and choose to edit it. You can find out the settings all over this forum for your carrier and that should get you going with mms. if not check out the search feature. I have gotten this way to work on the moto droid, the eris, hero and evo.

9.) Plug your phone back in and fire up qpst. if qpst can't find it you may need to enable usb debugging.

10.) Head over to the ppp and amke sure the username and password are correct. click roaming and find your prl and then click write to phone.

After it reboots you should have 3g data and mms on your phone. you may need to *22804 your phone to OTA it if you didn't write you mdn/min sid with qpst or cdma workshop.

The sprint ID removal and usage of the NV items will come here later I just got a rush of customers.

Mr._Pseudonym
02-06-2011, 11:59 AM
;^) This is way good stuff, LeadNerd... I like it.

leadnerd
02-07-2011, 10:04 PM
Now a continuation:::........ Ok so you wanna know something? Try out white rabbit's NV items on other droids ;) It works on the optimus for 3G :) Try it on the Ally and see what happens ;) I do it for all of the droids I come across as it is just a habit and doesn't seem to affect anything negativly.

So now I just use those methods to root and just use the stock roms on cricket. Now for a fun bit........

On the optimus you don't need to type in all of those lovely commands to get rid of the sprint ID. Instead install via android sdk root explorer (after you have root of course)

Hold send to bring up the voice dialer say root explorer and then select mount R/W. Surf through to /system/app/W_Installer.apk
and long press W_Installer.apk and select delete. Remount back to write only and reboot. no more sprint ID.

[Only registered and activated users can see links]

whitey10tc
02-07-2011, 10:58 PM
I can confirm the NV's work on all HTC's, both Android and WM. Also on BlackBerries, Samsung Moment. Although they sometimes only write 7, 11, NV's to the phone depending on the model. Also used them on NV Touch, Sanyo Katana, and some other lower end phones.

leadnerd
03-03-2011, 06:02 PM
Yet more of a continuation. I know from experience that z4 works on....... Drum roll please.......

Ascend
Zio
Optimus S
Cliq
Droid
EVO
Hero
Incredible

I did it for shit n giggles with the Ascend and was plesantly suprised I even got Barnacle to work on it as well as setCPU.

The Android OS is a wonderful light OS and will make it's way into other markets soon. Others have tried to successfully bring Linux into the mainstream publics eye and it finally has been done. If you do get a chance to try out an android tablet I say do so.