PDA

View Full Version : Getting data working on a Sprint-flashed V3m... OUTSIDE Sprint

dilworks
01-14-2011, 10:19 PM
(Mods: If this is not the correct place for this thread, feel free to move it to the correct section. Thanks!)

Well, the title says it all. Normally, data services setup on Sprint phones are vastly different from almost all other carriers, so when you take a Sprint V3m to any other network (or if you're dumb/curious, take any V3c/m and flash it to Sprint), data of course will not work (and on a freshly-flashed phone, anything that attemps to use data services will trigger the "Power Vision" provisioning crap, preventing you to open the browser or something like that).

The classic solution to this problem has been simple: pray, flash a gazillon of times to any MotoUI-based firmware (while you're stuck in that dreaded bootloader brawl), and use that to get data working on your phone. But i have other needs in mind: i'm a J2ME developer, and, having used the Sprint V3m firmware on my V3c a long time ago, i've noticed that their Java virtual machine is way much faster than the well-known Esmertec JBED present on Canadian firmwares, plus feature-wise it's a decent JVM. So i want to test my programs there. And here comes the problem: i'm not on Sprint. Hell, i'm not even in the United States! So if i ever try to test any MIDlet that requires network access on such firmware... well, you know how this story ends: "GO AND FLASH TO TELUS" :P

Searching in Google reveals me that Cricket Mafia guys have somewhat got WAP/data working on some Sprint phones on Cricket WITHOUT flashing away to another firmware, but i can find only stuff for Samsungs - nothing for the good ol' V3m. Soooo... has anyone EVER bothered to hack the supposedly "hardcoded-in-stone" Power Vision crap in Moto phones? Or everyone just called "meh, this is unpossible", and prefered to take the red pill and flash away to the lame-o BREW-enabled MotoUI firmwares? My goal here is to get a Sprint-flashed V3m working with data services (i don't care about MMS AT ALL, just want WAP) on a non-Sprint network (FYI, mine is Movilnet, in Venezuela, but such solution would be generic enough to work on VZW/Cricket/Telus/Iusacell/whatever - after all, most foreign firmwares work fine over here...)

Any hints? Help? Am I not crazy enough? No, i don't want no stinkin' Droid, thanks :P

tsaharms
01-15-2011, 02:41 AM
The solution you are looking for is rather simple. Just flash another carriers firmware to the phone, then edit your wap/mms settings.

Sent from a Galaxy far, far away, using Tapatalk Pro

Wrecked Johnson
01-15-2011, 01:06 PM
Download RSD Lite, download a Cricket V3*(c preferable) monsterpack, hook phone up via usb and make sure you have drivers installed and the open the monsterpack in RSD Lite and flash away. Change the ESN on your account and dial *288, if *228 doesn't work, then manually program : 74663# clr clr

If u need more assistance google is super smart on this topic.

dilworks
01-15-2011, 01:30 PM
You didn't understood the purpose of my post :D

I don't want to flash the phone to another firmware - i would look to get data working on this firmware. Yes, i know, the usual fix is to flash away from Sprint to anything else, but my goal here is to "fix" the Sprint firmware settings to somewhat get data working. Sounds like a useless/stupid project, but i need a good Java VM for my software development stuff :)

[Only registered and activated users can see links]

Is this firmware actually so braindead that can't be fixed no way how you try?

Wrecked Johnson
01-15-2011, 02:21 PM
You didn't understood the purpose of my post :D

I don't want to flash the phone to another firmware - i would look to get data working on this firmware. Yes, i know, the usual fix is to flash away from Sprint to anything else, but my goal here is to "fix" the Sprint firmware settings to somewhat get data working. Sounds like a useless/stupid project, but i need a good Java VM for my software development stuff :)

[Only registered and activated users can see links]

Is this firmware actually so braindead that can't be fixed no way how you try?

Best of luck

rich hathaway
01-15-2011, 03:21 PM
if you gotta do that with the sprint firmware,may i suggest you start with p2k,and/or p2k commader and start reading/editing seams.if you can find your way through about 3000 seams and edit the right ones you should be able to accomplish what you are trying to do with the exception of no mms this way.

but i am curious why you gotta stick with the sprint firmware ?? enlighten us if you would.

dilworks
01-15-2011, 03:25 PM
Oh well, seem edit looks like it's the way to go (i know that upper 2axx seems do have Power Vision settings). The first thing that i would like to try is to remove the stupid Power Vision activation crap.

Does anyone has a filesystem dump of a Sprint-activated V3m? This would be a good place to start looking into.

rich hathaway
01-15-2011, 03:39 PM
i dont have it but i would suggest startingin 2800 and 2900's that is where you will find data and mms seams,and some of those seams that you would think pertain to mms also pertain to data,so even though you will not be able to get mms working with this method you should still edit those seams accordingly... ust a suggestion brother. good luck.

dilworks
01-15-2011, 04:29 PM
I'm not looking for MMS (feature which is pretty much broken on Venezuelan carriers), so don't worry :)

Already taking a look on these...

rich hathaway
01-15-2011, 04:58 PM
no brother you misunderstand what i am saying, i was just telling you that you will still need to edit some of the seems that one would generally think would only pertain to mms,when in fact they will pertain to data as well,even though it appears to be a mms seem. it is not always as it may appear so go ahead and change those seems anyway to cricket or whomever you are flashing to.

dilworks
01-15-2011, 05:14 PM
Oh, all right, thanks for that tip :) I've already messed up with some of the MMS programming.