PDA

View Full Version : Broken Menu Files (Is This A Flash Fix?)

xkcd42
01-02-2011, 07:09 PM
As I tend to do with most everything, I jumped into phone modification without enough research and dorked something up. Thankfully my phone is still functioning as much so as I really need it to, so I am hesitant to proceed without asking the right questions first. My phone is a functioning W385 currently linked with the Verizon network and is on a solid plan that has enough minutes and plenty (unlimited) texts. Sorry if that's too much rambling.

If I flash my phone with the Verizon file, will all of the information that my phone needs to call and text still function properly? or would I need to reactivate the phone with Verizon?

I've searched and searched and realized that this was a stupid error that I made and nobody that I have found on the forums has experienced a similar issue. So that's all.

thesmitty68521
01-02-2011, 07:20 PM
If you flash your phone, it will pretty much reset it like it came right out of the box. It is just like formatting your hard drive and installing a new OS. However, also note that you will also lose all your contacts, pictures, texts, etc. just like when you format your hard drive on your PC.

The good news is you won't have to even go into Verizon to activate it again. All you need to do is dial *228 on your phone and it will activate and be ready to use.

I hope this is of use to you. Welcome to Gurus.

rich hathaway
01-02-2011, 07:55 PM
i reflashed a storm back from cricket to verizon last week and did the over the air programming,it did ask me for a password,the guy was standing there waiting so i had it. so you will problebly have to have your acct. password , i am assuming they will always ask for it but i am not sure that was the first time i had done that with verizon. took a long time to,about 5 min. not quick like cricket.

ljay67
01-02-2011, 07:56 PM
yeah like smitty said, and of course if that doesn't work out you may have to reload the firmware onto the phone manually my reloading a monster file (Motorola phone firmware) file onto the phone using RSD Lite

welcome to the forums :)

rich hathaway
01-02-2011, 08:04 PM
ya know i should have ask you to tell us what is wrong specifically with your phone,maybe there is a better way or another way to fix it that you may want to consider. so if you would tell us some specifics....who knows....

ljay67
01-02-2011, 08:06 PM
true, I thought that my phone being in a bootloop would be fixed by "flashing" it which is what brought me to this site originally. I was wrong :p

xkcd42
01-02-2011, 08:55 PM
If my assumptions are correct the mainmenu.bar file has been corrupted. I can still call, access my alarms, calendar, and texts (thanks to the shortcut keys I set up), but the menu is completely inaccessible.
I assumed that, since flashing is like reformatting a hard drive (thanks for this description smitty), a flash would restore the corrupt file(s) to their original state.
It seems that this means I was right, but any other way to replace the corrupt files should work.

By the wayside,
Sorry for posting this in the wrong section originally.

rich hathaway
01-02-2011, 09:54 PM
use this link for the w385 monster file,and use rsd lite to install it. if you need more details ask us.

this will wipe all personal data out,pics and numbers, ect. there is another way but it is more work and more complicated,so if you can stand to lose your personal stuff about 5 min. is all it will take after you install the software and use the file to get it restored.this is a good first phone to flash for ya if your interested in flashing that is. there is a tutorial or 2 here for installing and running rsd lite.

[Only registered and activated users can see links]

xkcd42
01-03-2011, 10:26 PM
I fixed my phone last night and forgot to mention it here.
Thanks everyone for helping me to get a bit better of an understanding of how flashing works.
I hope to continue delving into this new, exciting technological stream.