PDA

View Full Version : possible to put gsm firmware on cdma phone?

silky28
12-30-2010, 07:50 PM
hey all,

new to this stuff!

I purchased a CDMA Sprint Galaxy Tab on ebay. I managed to unlock it to all 0's and put on Bell mobility PRL version 31402.

I am wondering if I would be able to flash Bell's Galay Tab firmware on the phone even thouogh Bell's version is GSM?

When I go into the Tab's system it shows the PRL version as 31402. I am wondering if there is a way to verify that everything is fine. I was told to call 611 and if Bell's system comes up then I am fine but I cannot do this because I cannot make a call on the Tab.

thanks,
John.

xxSLRxx
12-31-2010, 08:58 PM
I'd be very hesitant to flash GSM software to a CDMA device or vice versa. My question is how did you "unlock" a Sprint Galaxy Tab. I'm assuming you mean flash being that Sprint is a CDMA network.

I'm not familiar with Bell Mobility. Are they a CDMA or GSM network? I'm assuming they are CDMA being that you were able to flash your tab to their network so would they have GSM firmware for a tab?

As for testing the device, you could disable the wifi and check if the data connection works.

thesmitty68521
12-31-2010, 09:29 PM
GSM Firmware won't work on a CDMA phone. The hardware on the two phones is totally different. Therefore, the firmware will also be totally different.

silky28
01-01-2011, 12:11 AM
Thanks guys I appreciate the responses. I didn't think I would be able to flash the firmware but doesn't hurt to ask!

SLR: When I wrote that I unlocked it what I meant was that I was able to break the Sprint SPC code and change it to all 6 zeros. Bell is a CDMA provider (in Canada) but they have started to switch to GSM. Their version of the Galaxy Tab is GSM, but my Blackberry Storm, for isntance, is CDMA.

Update: I took the Tab into a Bell store. The salesman said the PRL is fine, managed to enter the ESN into their system and gave me MIN and device numbers. I entered the numbers but I cannot get a connection. I called a technician but she said the number and ESN is registered to another user and that she could not help me because of this. So I have to go to a store on Sunday and get it straightened out. Long story short they both said since the system recognizes the ESN I will have no problem connecting. The problem is finding a data plan that is not GSM based. I am going to ask them if they can hook me up with a voice and data plan (say $50) and give me a $15/month credit. That would put me at $35 which is what the data plan costs.

Wrecked Johnson
01-01-2011, 02:14 PM
Port the ROM over and try that, you wouldnt persay need to flash the gsm ROM just pull what you like from it