PDA

View Full Version : Hero Old FuLL Flash Guide

leadnerd
11-26-2010, 05:38 PM
All props to brandonharrison over on HOFO.

How To: HTC Hero Flash to Cricket with Talk, Text, Wap and MMS
So I have had a Hero for a few months now and had wap working within a few days, but the problem for me was that much of what I read takes for granted that people know a lot about phone flashing. I have learned a lot so here is a tutorial for Talk, Text Web and MMS that I have written and dumbed down for people like me, and I am giving names of all the files/programs you will need. I would post links, but I guess that is a no-no here, so Google it!

I have done a lot of reading on many different forums about different phones, different carriers and different problems so it would be impossible to credit everyone with the knowledge contained here, but it sufficeth to say that while some of what is here I learned on my own, much ofit is owed to other people. The only original work here is my modified telephony.db file used to make mms work.

So, without further Adieu, here is how I got everything working:

Step 1: Talk and Text
What you need:
a. CDMA Workshop
b. QPST
c. HTC Diagnostic drivers for the Hero
d. A Windows PC with either XP or Vista running in 32 bit mode (64 bit will not work)
e. Cricket's 01039.prl -- get it here
f. Your HTC hero and USB Cable -- get it here

These can be found on Google, if any of these links quit working.

1. Once you have all of the items above installed, go to your number pad on your HERO and dial ##3424# and hit Call. You will see a screen come up on the HERO called the "DM Command Service."
2. Now, plug in your phone via the USB and your computer should install the necessary drivers. These will be the drivers mentioned above.
3. Once they are installed, open QPST Configuration, Listed under the QPST Folder on your start menu.
4. Click Ports, then click "Add New Port". You should see a port in the left part of the window. If not, unselect the button that says "Show Serial And USB/QC Diagnostic Ports Only".
5. Select the port and Click OK. There may be several ports, so repeat this process until you see a port where it says "Surf..."
6. Take not of which port says Surf, then open CDMA Workshop. Do not close QPST Configuration yet.
7. On the right side of the window select the same port as was in QPST with the word "Surf..." next to it and click "connect".
8. Click on the Security Tab on the top of the screen and click "Read" under the SPC/User Lock, ensuring that the default setting is listed in the drop-down menu.
9. Select the 6 digit number it generates and copy it.
10. Go back to the QPST Configuration and click on "Start Clients" and click on "Service Programming".
11. It will come up with a window displaying active phones. You should see one, the Surf....(whatever). Select it and click OK.
12. Click "read from phone". It will ask you for an MSL/SPC Code. Paste the 6 digit code you copied earlier and click Ok. In the settings tab you will see a box for the MSL/SPC code. Replace whatever is written in it with six zeros (000000). Click "write to phone". Ignore any errors that occur.
13. Click The CDMA Tab. Under Directory Number enter your 10 digit cricket number.
14. Click The Display Tab and type "Cricket" in the Banner.
15. Click the Roaming Tab and click "Browse" under the Preferred Roaming box.
16. Find and select the 01039.prl that you downloaded.
17. Click Write to Phone on the bottom. Ignore any errors that occur.
18. Unplug phone and dial *228.

Voila! You have a Hero Flashed for Cricket for Talk and Text! The *228 may not work the first time but try it two or three times.

Step 2. Setting up Web
What you need:
The same programs and drivers listed above
Anycut.apk-- get it in the android market place VIA Wifi.No longer needed if you are on the android plan.
1. Connect Phone Via QPST and open Service Programming. (See steps 1-3, 10 above)
2. Once you have begun Programming, click "Read From Phone". It will ask you for an SPC/MSL code. That code should now be six zeros (000000) -see step 12 above.
3. Click M.IP (may be M.IPv6 and set Mobile IP Behavior as MOB + Simp...
4. Select any profiles (there should be 1 or 2) listed under User Profiles, and click edit. Do the following for all profiles.
5. Make sure that "Profile enabled" is checked and enter in the following:

[Only registered and activated users can see links]

6. Change home address, primary ha, and secondary HA to all zeros.
7. On both HA Shared and AAA Shared Secret, click enter text string and type in the following password (all lower case): cricket
8. click ok
9. Set active user as 0.
10. Click PPP Config
11. The "Um" Button
13.Click "AN" Button and repeat step 12.
14. Click "write to phone". Ignore any errors that occur.
15. Install the anycut.apk mentioned above on your HTC Hero. If you need help with that, pm me and I will explain a few ways to do it.
16. Open Anycut and click New Short Cut.
17. Click Activity and scroll down to Proxy Settings. Select it and Click Ok on the window that comes up.
18. Go to The home screen on your Hero and find the Proxy Settings on your hero.
19. For Hostname enter: wap.mycricket.com and for port enter 8080.
This step is no longer needed for web with the android plan :) YAY
Voila! You now have web! I am doing this from memory as I am not at a 32 bit computer right now, so I cannot connect my phone, so let me know if I need to fix anything there....

Step 3: MMS!
What you need:
a. Android SDK--- get it here
b. My Modified Telephony.db -- see file attached to this thread
c. Have Hero phone flashed for talk text and web (see above if you have not done this).

1. Unzip android sdk to a place where you can find it (the shorter the directory name the better as you will soon see. Mine is saved in C:\android
Also unzip the telephony.db into a folder where you can find it. Mine is saved in C:\android
2. In windows xp click start, then run, then type cmd and hit enter. In Vista or windows 7 click start and type cmd in the search and hit enter.
3. Navigate to the folder where you unzipped the Android SDK. If you are not familiar with the commmand prompt, I will make a list of the commands I enter in blue. The rest you see will be the text that will be generated by the command prompt:

-------------------------------------------------------------------
Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
(C) Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.

C:\Documents and Settings\brandonh>cd ..

C:\Documents and Settings>cd ..

C:\>cd android

C:\android>cd tools
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

4. Type the Following command in blue:

C:\android\tools>adb root
* daemon started successfully *
adbd is running as root
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

5. Send the Modified telephony.db to the phone with the following command (keep in mind that you will need to substitute the directory I am using for the one where your telephony.db file is located

C:\android\tools> adb push c:\android\telephony.db /data/data/com.android.providers.telephony/databases/telephony.db
85 KB/s (4096 bytes in 0.046s)

6. Unplug your Phone and hold the power button to turn it off. Turn it back on and there you go!

So there it is. If you have some experience with phones you may find this tutorial slow paced and boring, but at least the MMS might be intriguing to you. If, however, you are new to this, like me, I hope that this is helpful. Let me know if you see any errors. I think some things may be a little overkill but if you follow step by step all three things should be working!

Also, this is bittersweet. Even though WAP is working, many apps don't work with it like voice search, Google Maps and others, but it's better than nothing. If anyone knows of any miracles on how to make these work, add it to this thread, and also, let me know if this has worked for you! Just reply to this thread!

I am trying this with CM right now to see if it is possible to get MMS on anything other than damagecontrol. Wish me luck but will post more about my issues with the fickle bitch we call the Hero.