PDA

View Full Version : help with reading/connecting treo 600

rich hathaway
11-10-2010, 08:26 PM
so this sprint treo 600 is proving to be a pain. i have the hot sync cable for it and here is what i have tried.

hot syncing,diag mode,just plugin it in,i also tried to load the prl with sd card,but i believe i need to have a rom with that prl loaded to accomplish it that way,and i cant seem to find a rom for this old phone.

i need to put it to cricket. it is for a customer,however i have about 10 or 12 of these in a box,and just never tried them before,but now i have an excuse.

any help would be appreciated.

thanks gurus.

thesmitty68521
11-10-2010, 08:45 PM
I think you have to put those in diag mode. Something like #*#3424, ##3424#, or some combination like that. And I also think those require a serial cable that Beezle sells. If he ever decides to answer, you can get one form him.

rich hathaway
11-10-2010, 10:02 PM
thanks for the reply smitty. i tried diag/passthru mode on 2 of them this morning and it does'nt assign a port,it has them listed as "palm handheld" under "other device"

and i have the serial cable for the 650 and higher,but the 600 takes a different cable than the rest of the treo's,and i am reasonably sure that it connects with the hot sync cable like some of the centro's do. i have the hotsync cable for it and it sync's but doesnt show up under porsts in device mngr. was there ever a chipset serial cable like the one for the 650 made for the old 600 treo? i have'nt ever heard of one. i will be lookin for one.

I keep thinking that there must be a different driver than the one i am using,but what is throwing me off is that it recognises it as a palm device,but isnt assigning it to a diagnostic port ??

doesnt that sound like a driver prob?

thesmitty68521
11-10-2010, 11:33 PM
It does sound like a driver deal to me. I have dealt with that phone in two years so I'm not up to speed on it anymore

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

rich hathaway
11-11-2010, 10:10 AM
looked all over the net last night,and from what i can gather there is no serial cable needed for it,just the hotsync cable.but no one actually tell how they are connecting it. i found some posts on palmsupport.com from mr. psuedonym from way back in 2004 where he was messin with the palms and helpin folks with the 600,he may be able to shed some light on this. i will see if i can get ahold of him. thanks for the help smitty.

Mr._Pseudonym
11-11-2010, 09:53 PM
:^/ Actually, my first Palm was my Treo 755p, which I still use today, so I've never played with a 600. Still, I'd guess that the codes would be the same. The Sprint one would be ##3424# for ##DIAG#. QPST Configuration has a button for Add New Port, which should show all of the available ports.

I don't know that a custom cable is needed, but it cannot hurt. If Beezlewaxin isn't selling them, RandomWit might still be. I don't know whether he's still active on Howard Forums, but he might be reachable on other hacking sites.

There is a cable-less flashing method that essentially abuses Palm's own upgrade techniques, substituting a Cricket PRL for the intended one. However, that requires an upgrade file meant for the 600. It might be possible to use one meant for a later phone, but you'd want to test that on your own before risking a customer's hardware.

;^) Sayyyy, that reminds me; HoFo user TheMobileNoble uses that technique in his shop in Beaverton, not far from me. Perhaps he's done it with the 600. It's worth a quick PM on HoFo to find out....

rich hathaway
11-12-2010, 12:02 AM
Thanks Pseudo, your awesome. I appreciate the help brother.

Mr._Pseudonym
11-13-2010, 12:06 PM
:^/ Well, TheNobleMobile says that the 600 uses the standard serial cable that comes with the phone. There is no upgrade via SD card that he knows of for that model, either.

rich hathaway
11-13-2010, 01:24 PM
wel that answers that question of a serial cable. i did not think there was one needed for the 600. but now onto the next task, how to connect and read the 600....

i will keep trying and post results if i get any.

please gurus add to this thread any insight you may have on this subject.

many thanks for the help thus far ( smitty, MR.Psuedonym)