PDA

View Full Version : LG UX840 unlockable??

testu
10-27-2010, 10:17 PM
Hi guys,

I want to buy a used LG UX840 Tritan. I found several on ebay but they were mostly locked to US Cellular.

Is there a possibility to unlock the Tritan so that I can use it with Verizon??

Thank you.

Greetings,
testu

McNugget
10-28-2010, 12:06 AM
Doable? Yes.. Simple? No. I believe even the creator of this forum had troubles with this phone. lol Search around here and google. The answer your looking for is out there. Somewhere in the vast deeps of the web. ;)

thesmitty68521
10-28-2010, 10:06 AM
When you refer to "unlockable", you are referring to a lock code for the GSM phones so you can insert your SIM card from another carrier and it works.

What you are referring to is flashing. The answer to your question is yes, you can flash that to Verizon. Now, whether or not they actually activate it is another story since Verizon didn't offer that phone. Getting it fully flashed will be fairly easy if you know the settings for Verizon and, as I said are actually willing to activate it.

I did get it figured out as far as flashing it to Cricket. However, I don't flash phones to Verizon so I have no idea if it will work.

rich hathaway
10-28-2010, 10:29 AM
listen to smitty, dont waste your time as verizon wont accept any non verizon esn's other than altell.and changing of esn's or burning a new esn to a phone is a fcc violation and is highly illegal,in theory it is the same as an illegal wire tap,since when someone calls it it will ring 2 different phones. save your time and look for a clean esn phone from verizon if that is your carrier of choice.

whitey10tc
10-28-2010, 12:43 PM
Both Verizon and Sprint will accept foriegn r am esn's. It just takes time and alot of calls.
Verizon is the easier of the two.

Sent from my cricKet flashed Hero using Tapatalk

testu
10-28-2010, 03:33 PM
Firstly, thank you very much for your answers.

When you refer to "unlockable", you are referring to a lock code for the GSM phones so you can insert your SIM card from another carrier and it works.

What you are referring to is flashing. The answer to your question is yes, you can flash that to Verizon. Now, whether or not they actually activate it is another story since Verizon didn't offer that phone. Getting it fully flashed will be fairly easy if you know the settings for Verizon and, as I said are actually willing to activate it.

Do I unterstand it right that to unlock a phone is just putting the unlock code in so that you can use the sim card from another carrier and to flash a phone is to change the lock from one carrier to another??
Can't you use unlocked phone for every carrier or does each carrier require a phone that has their "settings"?

Thank you.

thesmitty68521
10-28-2010, 03:51 PM
Unlock phones= GSM carriers such as ATT, TMobile, etc.
Flashing phones= CDMA Carriers such as Verizon, Sprint, Cricket, etc.

There is some posts about this in the breakroom in the beginner section that will better explain these terms

testu
10-28-2010, 04:03 PM
OK.

GSM: Global System for Mobile Communications- This is the network that uses Sim cards

So does CDMA use sim cards?? I saw somebody with a Verizon phone who had a sim card in his phone.

At the moment I am looking for an used phone because I want to change my carrier, adding myself to the family plan (so there is no yearly contract). Is it better to look for an used Verizon phone instead of trying to flash phones??

McNugget
10-28-2010, 04:49 PM
So does CDMA use sim cards?? I saw somebody with a Verizon phone who had a sim card in his phone.

^^^ No, CDMA based companies do not use SIM cards. (with very few phone model exxceptions ie. Blackberry world) What you probably saw and confused for a SIM card was a Micro SD card used to store photos, music, videos etc.

thesmitty68521
10-28-2010, 05:15 PM
^^^ No, CDMA based companies do not use SIM cards. (with very few phone model exxceptions ie. Blackberry world) What you probably saw and confused for a SIM card was a Micro SD card used to store photos, music, videos etc.

There are some phones that are both CDMA and GSM. For example Blackberry Storm's, Tours, etc. have a place for a SIM card as well as an option to go to GSM mode. They are called global phones.

You can unlock these to work on AT&T and TMobile. This is mostly done for people who travel abroad. They can continue to use their phone while overseas.

testu
10-28-2010, 05:33 PM
Yeah it was a Blackberry. The Blackberry tour. (I dont know which model is was exactly but it was the one which the "scrollball")

Are Blackberries the only phones which worked with GSM and CDMA??

What do you think should I do?? Should I rather just buy a verizon phone or not?

testu
10-31-2010, 08:44 PM
Please close. I got a Nokia Twist.

Check this thread out please:
[Only registered and activated users can see links]