PDA

View Full Version : Huawei vs. Zio

ArkieKDealer
10-13-2010, 06:04 PM
Just order my 1st M860s. Price point is $149 so it will sell considerably better than the Zio. Zio started off hot at my store but now I haven't sold one in about 3 weeks.

Anyone got one yet and want to give input?

rich hathaway
10-13-2010, 06:15 PM
we just ordered ours yesterday.i am curious myself,although i would think if they will just stay on and not randomly shut off like most all of the kyoceras do they will do better.but the flashed droids still will outsell them 10 to 1 here in kansas city. but good luck in your market!

adrianrodriguez
10-13-2010, 06:36 PM
I agree with Rich on the flashed droids now the zio is better than the m860 I previewed one yesterday its nice but not great quality but for the price is a gread deal for a droid.

ArkieKDealer
10-15-2010, 02:31 PM
Just got mine in. I like it better than the Zio. Doesn't feel as cheap, IMO. It's heavier than the Zio and has a bigger display.

At $150...these things should sell well, but why would anyone buy a Mess Touch or any of the other phones that are priced higher than this one?

Dex
10-18-2010, 07:19 PM
Well after activating and goin over the features of the Ascend with a Custy HANDS DOWN it pwns the Kyocera first off 100 difference in price huge screen better cam Droid 2.1 STOCK and Swype PREINSTALLED by far the best fone cricket has ever released

ArkieKDealer
10-18-2010, 09:02 PM
Agree, Dex. I sold 5 of them today.

I have noticed the earpiece volume has a bit of a rattle sound at the level out of the box. I've been kicking down the volume a couple of notches before I give it to the customer so it's not as noticeable.

Wrecked Johnson
10-19-2010, 10:03 AM
Agree with Dex on this one, the Huawei is much nicer IMO than any other cricKet phone to date.

Denver
10-23-2010, 11:52 AM
Zio has a subproccessor for graphics where the Ascend does not, reason ascend feels better atm is because it is running 2.1 which everyone knows runs smoother then 1.6.. but update for zio to 2.1 should be around this week if everything goes well in testing, if not then another week or two, but I would really hold off making the comparison till I see the Zio with 2.1 on it. That way we get an apples to apples comparison..

I will agree that at 149, they are flying off my shelves pretty fast, was definately a good pickup for cricket.

ArkieKDealer
10-29-2010, 02:02 PM
I switched my line to one yesterday. The swype text input is interesting. Downloaded a few apps. Had a couple of little buggy things pop up (nothing pressing an end button to return to home screen didn't fix, though) and it doesn't seem to like after-market chargers. Battery life isn't as good as some reported. I was down to 20% battery 9am from a full charge at 5:30pm yesterday. The door over the charging port is a pain and is my biggest gripe.

I'm impressed and think I might keep it unless I run out of allocation. Then it's gone!

leadnerd
10-29-2010, 02:12 PM
We ordered our allotment and didn't even have the order yet before they were gone. They seem to be a pretty good phone. I will know more when our next order gets in. It is my sole purpose to break it :)

jlopez
12-17-2010, 09:21 PM
hi everyone im new here, i have a M860 my self and i have trouble with the touch it takes a while to get to my txt menu and when i try to txt it kind off skips the letters is it just mine or does anyone have this problem... but i been selling alot of them

lj27416
12-18-2010, 03:11 AM
they're both a piece of crap, but if you had to choose i would go with huawei, look and feel is better, still a piece of garbage though lol

LJ

rich hathaway
12-18-2010, 12:25 PM
ok since no-one has put up a real comparison,i will. here it is,a comprhensive comparison of specs for these 2 phones,that until i got it could'nt understand why the zio's pricepoint was so much higher.

but i still think the ascend is a much nicer phone all around {by crickets standards}

[Only registered and activated users can see links]

please be patient,i am working on getting this image up,but am having a few probs.

here is a link to the image with the specs.

WildCat
12-31-2010, 02:20 AM
I'm looking to purchase one of these phones. Was trying to find differences between the two. That's how I ran across your forums/site. Wanted to say a thanks to Rich for the info and if he doesn't mind my asking where he got it? I've been looking at various tech/droid/phone forums for a few days now trying to make my decision between these two phones. Here's what I've been able to find out...

Technical Specifications of Huawei Ascend M860
Brand: Huawei
Manufacturer: Huawei Technologies
Hardware Designer: Huawei Technologies
Release Date: October, 2010

Physical Attributes
Dimensions
(width x height x depth): 62.5 x 116 x 14 millimeters / 2.5 x 4.6 x 0.6 inches
Bounding Volume: 101.5 cubic centimeters
Mass: 130 grams (battery included)

Software Environment
Embedded Operating System: Google Android 2.1
Operating System Kernel: Linux 2.6.29

Microprocessor, Chipset
CPU Clock: 600 MHz
CPU: Qualcomm MSM7627
Width of Machine Word: 32 bit
CPU Core: ARM1136EJ-S
Level 1 cache: 16KiB data cache / 16 KiB instruction cache
Instruction Set: ARMv6

Memory,Storage capacity
RAM type: SDRAM
RAM capacity: 256 MiB
ROM type: Flash EEPROM
ROM capacity: 512 MiB

Graphical subsystem
3.5 inch HVGA resistive(?) touchscreen display
Display Type: color transflective TFT display
Display Color Depth: 18 bit/pixel (262144 scales)
Display Diagonal: 3.5 " (89 millimeters)
Display Resolution: 320 x 480 (153600 pixels)
Viewable Display Size: 1.94 " x 2.92 " (49.37 x 74.05 millimeters)
Pixel density(dot pitch): 164.6 pixel/inch (0.15428 millimeter/pixel)

Audio Subsystem
Audio Channel(s) : stereo sound
Microphone(s) : mono sound
Loudspeaker(s) : mono sound
Audio Output: 2.5mm plug

Cellular Phone
Cellular Networks: CDMA800, CDMA1900
Cellular Data Links: cdmaOne, CDMA2000 1xRTT, CDMA2000 1xEV-DO Rel. 0, CDMA2000 1xEV-DO Rev A
Cellular Antenna: Internal antenna
Call Alert: 40 -chord melody (polyphonic)
Vibrating Alert: Supported
Speakerphone: Supported

Control Peripherals
Positioning Device: Multi-touch screen & TouchPad/TrackPad
Primary Keyboard: Not supported
Directional Pad: Not supported
Scroll Wheel: Not supported

Interfaces
Expansion Interfaces: microSD, microSDHC, TransFlash
Supports High Capacity (SD 2.0/HC) memory cards with capacity of up to 32GB
USB: USB 2.0 client, Hi-Speed (480Mbit/s) USB Series Micro-B (Micro-USB) connector
Bluetooth (802.15) : Bluetooth 2.0, Internal antenna
Wireless LAN/Wi-Fi (802.11): IEEE 802.11b, IEEE 802.11g, 54 Mbit/s Internal antenna
Infrared Gate: Not supported

Multimedia Broadcast
Analog Radio: Not supported
Digital Media Broadcast: Not supported

Built-in Digital Camera
Sensor Type: CMOS sensor
Resolution: 2048 x1536 pixels (3.15MP)
Autofocus(AF) : Not supported
Optical Zoom: 1 x
Macro Mode: Not supported
Built-in Flash: Not supported
Camcorder: 352x288 pixels
Recordable Image Formats: JPG
Recordable Video Formats: 3GP, MPEG4

Power Supply
Battery Technology: Lithium-ion polymer battery
Battery Build: removable
Battery Capacity: 1500 mAh

Additional Details
Built-in accelerometer: Supported
Additional Features:

* Bluetooth stereo audio profile (A2DP, AVRCP)
* Gmail
* Google Maps
* Google Calendar
* YouTube
* Android Market

Technical Specifications of Sanyo ZIO M6000
Brand: Sanyo
Manufacturer: Kyocera Communications
Hardware Designer: Kyocera Communications
Release Date: October, 2010

Physical Attributes
Dimensions
(width x height x depth): 58.6 x 116 x 12.2 millimeters / 2.3 x 4.6 x 0.5 inches
Bounding Volume: 82.9 cubic centimeters
Mass: 105 grams (battery included)

Software Environment
Embedded+Operating:System: Google Android 1.6
Operating+System_Kernel: Linux 2.6.27

Microprocessor, Chipset
CPU-Clock: 600 MHz
CPU: Qualcomm MSM7627
Width of Machine Word: 32 bit
CPU Core: ARM1136EJ-S
Level 1 cache: 16KiB data cache / 16KiB instruction cache
Instruction Set: ARMv6

Memory,Storage capacity
RAM type: SDRAM
RAM capacity: 256 MiB
ROM type: Flash EEPROM
ROM capacity: 512 MiB, including 256MiB user-accessible non-volatile storage

Graphical subsystem
3.5 inch WVGA capacitive touchscreen display
Display Type: color transflective TFT display
Display Color Depth: 18 bit/pixel (262144 scales)
Display Diagonal: 3.5 " (89 millimeters)
Display Resolution: 480 x 800 (384000 pixels)
Viewable Display Size: 1.8 " x 3 " (45.79 x 76.32 millimeters)
Pixel density-(dot pitch): 266.3 pixel/inch (0.0954 millimeter/pixel)

Audio Subsystem
Audio Channel(s): stereo sound
Analog/Digital Converter(Recording) : 16 bit nominal quantization 48000 Hz sampling frequency
Digital/Analog Converter(Playing) : 16 bit resolution 48000 Hz holding frequency
Microphone(s) : mono sound
Loudspeaker(s) : mono sound
Audio Output: 3.5mm plug

Cellular Phone
Cellular Networks: CDMA800, CDMA1900, CDMA2100
Cellular Data Links: cdmaOne, CDMA2000 1xRTT,CDMA2000 1xEV-DO Rel. 0, CDMA2000 1xEV-DO Rev A
Cellular Antenna: Internal antenna
Call Alert: 40 -chord melody (polyphonic)
Vibrating Alert: Supported
Phone Controller: Qualcomm MSM7627

Control Peripherals
Positioning Device: Touchscreen & TrackBall
Primary Keyboard: Not supported
Directional Pad: Not supported
Scroll Wheel: Not supported

Interfaces
Expansion Interfaces: microSD, microSDHC, TransFlash Supports High Capacity(SD 2.0/HC) memory cards with capacity of up to 32GB
USB: USB 2.0 client, Hi-Speed (480Mbit/s)
Bluetooth;(802.15): Supported, Internal antenna
Wireless LAN/Wi-Fi (802.11) : IEEE 802.11b, IEEE 802.11g, 54 Mbit/s Internal antenna
Infrared Gate: Not supported

Multimedia Broadcast
Analog Radio: Not supported
Digital Media Broadcast: Not supported

Built-in Digital Camera
Sensor Type: CMOS sensor
Resolution: 2048 x1536 pixels (3.15MP)
Autofocus;(AF) : Not supported
Optical Zoom: 1 x
Macro Mode: Not supported
Built-in Flash: Not supported
Camcorder: camcorder shoots clips in four resolutions, from 2,048x1,536 down to 640x480, 30frame/sec
Recordable:Image_Formats: JPG
Recordable Video:Formats: 3GP, MPEG4

Power Supply
Battery Technology: Lithium-ion battery
Battery Build: removable
Battery Capacity: 1130 mAh

Additional Details
Built-in accelerometer: Supported
Additional Features:

* Bluetooth stereo audio profile (A2DP, AVCRP)
* PhotoVault
* Google Search
* Google Maps
* Gmail
* Google Calendar
* Google Talk
* Android Market
* HAC (M4/T4)-hearing aid compatible
* 1GB microSD

1st question is this, if more mAh = a "stronger" battery, then why does the Huawei have less talk time and standby time? (Huawei=1500mAh Zio=1130mAh)
2nd - Differences in Ram/Rom: Zio's-512 MiB, including 256MiB user-accessible non-volatile storage and Huawei is 512 MiB. Can anyone here clear this up or explain the difference?
3rd- Does the Zio actually have an autofocus camera? I've seen one review where they scan a barcode by moving the phone/camera in close up. So that would "seem" to me that it has an autofocus camera. But all the tech sites say no, even though Cricket's site has "YES" to both Zio and Huawei. And of course a call to their (non)tech support didn't get me any answers either.
4th- Have heard you can take Zio in now to a Cricket Corporate store and they will install/flash with Android 2.1 now. Is this true and if so, then is the Zio operating faster, or as fast, as the Huawei is?
5th-Pages- Zio has 3, Huawei has 9. But from what I've seen, the Zio's pagers are "longer", can scroll down them further. Whereas the Huawei pages are only the size of the screen. So do they both hold the same amount of "icons/widgets"?

An early thank you to whoever has answers to these questions. They will be most appreciated. I missed out on the extra $20 off on both of these phones a few days ago since I was still "searching" and BOTH phones were only $109. Now I'm trying to get some answers so that I can still get one or the other phone while their price is still the same with the $50 rebate on the Zio, which ends Jan. 3rd. Thanks again for any help or info...

rich hathaway
12-31-2010, 09:53 AM
the zio has auto focus the ascend does not,at least when powered on you cant tell. as others have said (and i agree) the ascend is a more desirable phone. however i/we flashed a sprint zio(sanyo) the other day,it was our first one we have seen,we took it in trade,and it (i think) might have been more desirable than both,or at least even with ascend (to me).
there will be an update released early summer for ascend to upgrade it;s os to 2.2 that will definately push ascend over the top ,at least in comparison,even though the processesor is inferior to the zio. ascend lags (a little) with 1.2 but that update should take care of that. make no mistake neither of these phones are even in the same league as there predecessors,the evo, any of the moto's or most of the other droids that are out there.but as i said before 149 bucks for ascend is a steal for this phone that is definetely a step in the right direction for cricket from the junk they have previously relesed and expected us to pedal to the public. oh, and that comparison was a technical bulletin that was released by cricket to dealers standard and non,to help with understanding and explaining to custy's why zio, the less desirable than ascend phone's price point was so much higher.hope this assists you in your desicion

WildCat
12-31-2010, 05:38 PM
Thanks for the info. Or as we say in the South... PRESHEADIT! :) After the update, you said the Zio was equal to, or maybe a bit faster than, the ascend? If the ascend is going to be getting an update to droid 2.2 then will the Zio possibly get the same update down the road? Thanks again for the quick reply and here's hoping you have a Happy New Year!

rich hathaway
12-31-2010, 09:07 PM
i have heard nothing about plans for zio with regaurds to an update. remember android is uncharted territory for cricket and they wont/cant put out upgrades like the sprints or verizons. thats why there service and phones are cheaper,they have'nt spent the millions on making customer service and tech support available for there custy's.