PDA

View Full Version : Repair ESN Motorola Devour

pityonu
10-01-2010, 12:54 PM
Hi all,

I was looking to see if there was a way to repair the ESN/MEID on my new Motorola Devour. It seems to have got all messed up when I was rooting and messing with the phone.

Is there even a way to do this, or am I just screwed? I (sadly) voided the warranty by rooting, so I can't just go get another one.

It seems as though it's just my luck that Motorola phones are the hardest to repair :/

Thanks in advance for your time, knowledge, and assistance.

Pac3comm1
10-01-2010, 04:31 PM
I have not seen a solution for this nor do i think there will be one. Usually with motorola devices you have to have a smart clip box or a repair device of that nature to do such. From what Ive seen they are pretty expensive especially if you are only repairing one device.

Wrecked Johnson
10-02-2010, 12:51 PM
wont the monsterfile fix this?

pityonu
10-03-2010, 12:37 PM
I have not seen a solution for this nor do i think there will be one. Usually with motorola devices you have to have a smart clip box or a repair device of that nature to do such. From what Ive seen they are pretty expensive especially if you are only repairing one device.

Ah. I figured as much.

Well, I am kind of interested in learning about cell phones, as they are rather prevalent in today's society. It was actually the reason I was messing with the thing in the first place.

Is there a "smart clip" device that supports the Devour A555? It seems if i really want to get into this kind of thing I'm going to need one anyway.

wont the monsterfile fix this?

Sorry if this is a dumb question, but what exactly is a "monster file"? From reading around the forum, it looks as if it's a firmware file. Is a "monster file" customized to allow for different types of functionalities or something?

thesmitty68521
10-03-2010, 12:44 PM
Nope. A monster file is simply a Motorola Bin file. It is created by the carrier for a specific Motorola Phone.

Motorolas are the only phones that have Monster files.

[Only registered and activated users can see links] is a link that will tell you more about the basics of flashing as well as answer a lot of questions.

Welcome to Gurus.

pityonu
10-03-2010, 03:45 PM
Nope. A monster file is simply a Motorola Bin file. It is created by the carrier for a specific Motorola Phone.

Motorolas are the only phones that have Monster files.

[Only registered and activated users can see links] is a link that will tell you more about the basics of flashing as well as answer a lot of questions.

Welcome to Gurus.

Thank you very much for the pointers!

It does seem that I need some sort of hardware for what I want to do. Where can I start looking for that? The Smart-Clip doesn't have *documented* support for the phone :/

thesmitty68521
10-03-2010, 04:22 PM
Thank you very much for the pointers!

It does seem that I need some sort of hardware for what I want to do. Where can I start looking for that? The Smart-Clip doesn't have *documented* support for the phone :/

I would give up on this. It isn't going to happen. I've been doing this for 4 years and came to the conclusion a long time ago that the only way to change the ESN on any motorola is to have a Dongle or a smart clip. And those are so ridiculously expensive, you might as well buy a new phone. And since I've never encountered this problem, it will likely never be a priority.

My advice would be to use this one for parts and get a new Devour. I'm just curious to see how you managed to zero out the ESN. I have never heard of this happening to a Motorola.

whitey10tc
10-03-2010, 04:31 PM
I'm just curious to see how you managed to zero out the ESN. I have never heard of this happening to a Motorola. I've seen it happen a few times, when someone is playing around CDMA WS or other PST's and don't know what their doing. I had a Droid that came in with a Zero MEID, the guy claimed he was trying to change it using CDMA WS and the phone rebooted with no MEID.... I baught it for $20 for parts, and used the screen on another one and made my $ back.

pityonu
10-03-2010, 07:05 PM
I would give up on this. It isn't going to happen. I've been doing this for 4 years and came to the conclusion a long time ago that the only way to change the ESN on any motorola is to have a Dongle or a smart clip. And those are so ridiculously expensive, you might as well buy a new phone. And since I've never encountered this problem, it will likely never be a priority.

My advice would be to use this one for parts and get a new Devour. I'm just curious to see how you managed to zero out the ESN. I have never heard of this happening to a Motorola.

For this one, I probably will.

However, as I said, I'm trying to get into this stuff, and as Verizon has the numerous and popular Droid models (by Motorola), I might as well get a good dongle now so I have it for down the road. I doubt I will have trouble getting the money back.

Has anyone used any of those dongles for Motorola phones that could recommend one?

dilworks
10-04-2010, 02:46 PM
The full Smart-Clip kit (with the required box+dongles+firmware archive access) costs $250, plus S&H.

I think that you could just get a sane, used Devour for much less than that ammount :)

If you plan to learn and fix a bunch of phones for a fee, well, it's a worthy investment, but it needs a lot of practice. But for a single phone and litte experience, better find a new Devour, or take it to a experienced technician that already has such box...

ESN/MEID repair is basically the one and only thing that is not only insanely hard on Motorolas, but for the few models where it's doable, it requires that hellish expensive box with their "please don't pirate me" security dongle - in other words it will co$t you anyways :( All other things on (almost all) Motorola CDMA phones (from reading SPCs to full Cricket conversions) are doable with free tools and some effort.

pityonu
10-05-2010, 11:32 AM
The full Smart-Clip kit (with the required box+dongles+firmware archive access) costs $250, plus S&H.

I think that you could just get a sane, used Devour for much less than that ammount :)

If you plan to learn and fix a bunch of phones for a fee, well, it's a worthy investment, but it needs a lot of practice. But for a single phone and litte experience, better find a new Devour, or take it to a experienced technician that already has such box...

ESN/MEID repair is basically the one and only thing that is not only insanely hard on Motorolas, but for the few models where it's doable, it requires that hellish expensive box with their "please don't pirate me" security dongle - in other words it will co$t you anyways :( All other things on (almost all) Motorola CDMA phones (from reading SPCs to full Cricket conversions) are doable with free tools and some effort.

Thanks for the advice man!

I'll see if I can find someone who can do this via craigslist or something. If anyone here on the forums thinks they can do it, don't hesitate to PM me!

Thanks again guys!

drkcobra
10-31-2010, 03:47 PM
The Smart-Clip, MSSBOX2 and GM-Box are all the boxes that do Motorola ESN/MEID repairs, but none of them will work for any of the Droids.

maclos
11-16-2011, 02:22 PM
I too am (as we speak) trying to "repair" my meid/esn on my cousin's a555 devour! These are some things that i have tried to do with cdma ws and ***. 1st, theres a file that has the meid written on it called pvmeid and you have to be rooted and use a file browser like root explorer to find it. Now i dont know if you would have to delete that file of modify it with your new meid. 2nd, i have read the ram with *** and found that the ESN was in these locations.
0F4A:3A18
0F4B:DAA8
0F48:CDA4
0F60:A9C8
0F6A:FC9C
0F97:E16C
0FA0:3D64
0FA0:41B0
0FA0:A748
0FA0:3E3C
0FA2:2D7C
0FB0:1354
You could scan again (like i'm doing right now) and probably find even more locations! The MEID was found at these locations.
0FA0:A4F0
0FA0:41F7
0FBC:1AC7
0FBC:AC37
3rd, you could take the :'s out of the adresses and add 0x to the front of them, and use qxdm's memory viewer to find and modify your meid and esn. I'm pretty sure there are more locations. I've been just zeroing out these, and then rescaning to find more. This'll probably take forever using ***, and IMHO, I think *** more thoughly scan ram. Plus, this link -> [Only registered and activated users can see links](and-other-moto-droids)-ESN-and-MEID-correction-repair-SOLVED <- proves that not all motos are locked. So if anyone here wants to help me find more locations to zero out or modify, we could probably get something going here! So let's get it! I'll post back more locations as i find them, but it would be a lot easier if more people helped out as *** takes a very long time to scan memory. Good luck to all of us. I am also trying to repair the numbers on the Samsung Precedent which shows nothing but zeros on ram scans.

drkcobra
11-16-2011, 03:03 PM
I too am (as we speak) trying to "repair" my meid/esn on my cousin's a555 devour! These are some things that i have tried to do with cdma ws and ***. 1st, theres a file that has the meid written on it called pvmeid and you have to be rooted and use a file browser like root explorer to find it. Now i dont know if you would have to delete that file of modify it with your new meid. 2nd, i have read the ram with *** and found that the ESN was in these locations.
0F4A:3A18
0F4B:DAA8
0F48:CDA4
0F60:A9C8
0F6A:FC9C
0F97:E16C
0FA0:3D64
0FA0:A748
0FA0:3E3C
0FA2:2D7C
0FB0:1354
You could scan again (like i'm doing right now) and probably find even more locations! The MEID was found at these locations.
0FA0:A4F0
0FA0:41F7
0FBC:1AC7
0FBC:AC37
3rd, you could take the :'s out of the adresses and add 0x to the front of them, and use qxdm's memory viewer to find and modify your meid and esn. I'm pretty sure there are more locations. I've been just zeroing out these, and then rescaning to find more. This'll probably take forever using ***, and IMHO, I think *** more thoughly scan ram. Plus, this link -> [Only registered and activated users can see links](and-other-moto-droids)-ESN-and-MEID-correction-repair-SOLVED <- proves that not all motos are locked. So if anyone here wants to help me find more locations to zero out or modify, we could probably get something going here! So let's get it! I'll post back more locations as i find them, but it would be a lot easier if more people helped out as *** takes a very long time to scan memory. Good luck to all of us. I am also trying to repair the numbers on the Samsung Precedent which shows nothing but zeros on ram scans.

Just to forewarn you, the Devour may very likely be the one Droid that you won't be able to do this on. The reason I come to this conclusion is when you flash it, you will notice that it simply has a RAMloader and CG2 not all the different ones like other Droids. This imfers to me that they are using the same technique as their standard phones which will make a repair impossible without patching the firmware like boxes do or wiping the OTP and rewriting it which is beyond our ability at present. I hope I am mistaken for you sake, but I seriously doubt that I am.

rich hathaway
11-16-2011, 07:20 PM
when this thread started (way back when) this subject was ok for discussion,however alot has happened since then,we have had cease and decist papers served as well as fines for this same content and now today this subject is not allowed (thank you fcc).

this thread somehow slipped thru the cracks when we were removing them from the site.

so i am sorry to say thread closed!