PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] How to Unlock the LG Rumor Touch - VM510 from Virgin Mobile (possibly others)

Crogon
09-09-2010, 07:41 PM
After about a month and a half of blood, sweat and tears with this phone, I proudly present.. a solution!!

Preface: Yes, this will get you the crown jewel, the SPC code to unlock your phone, which Virgin Mobile says they don't have, and LG says their contract won't allow them to give out. No, your phone doesn't have an MSL code. That's the same thing on a different type of phone. No, I don't care where you read it, trust me.
[hide-thanks]
Step 1) Download and install the 'LGMobile Support Tool'. Next, follow the instructions, also found on the link below, to install the USB Modem Drivers:
[Only registered and activated users can see links]

Step 2) Download 'LG Download Pro' version1.6.0, then install it.

Step 3) Download the file 'LG Download DLLs MSI.rar' from the link below. (hint: You have to click the Thank You buttons before it will show you the Hidden Content) You might also want to download the file in the first post, if you plan on using this program for different phones.

Step 4) You will need to send a PM to Dex [Only registered and activated users can see links] or Eric [Only registered and activated users can see links] to get the password for 'LG Download DLLs MSI.rar'.

Step 4a) ALTERNATIVELY: Thanks to PxToro, you can download and install JUST the 9100 dll in an msi file here:

Note that if you end up needing the other dll files, you will need to download the archives in step 3.

Step 5) Extract LG Download DLLs MSI.rar then install the 9100 dll using 'VX9100 DLL.msi'. I found information to indicate that the 9900 dll would also work with this phone, but that didn't work for me. Install the other dll's at your prerogative, it certainly won't hurt anything.

Step 6) Just to make sure everything is properly installed, go ahead and reboot your computer now.

Step 7) Go to your Start Menu >> Programs and double-click on 'LGDownload'. Next, Click on the 'Select DLL' button. After the popup window appears, click on 'Tri Mode', then double click on the VX9100 dll. Click 'Ok' on the popup. Now, click on the 'NV Edit' button on the left hand side. LGDownload is now ready to do it's job.

Step 8) Plug the USB data cable for the phone into the computer (NOT into the phone, yet).

Step 9) You may find it useful to open up the Windows 'Device Manager' and expand the 'Ports' section. This will allow you to see when and for how long the USB modem port is actually connected (you will also notice the GPS port connecting, but don't try to use this port for our purposes here). ;) Simply drag Device Manager down to the bottom corner while you are using the other programs in the top corner. I found conflicting information saying that you may need to set the port speed (Bits per Second) in the Device Manager AND the program to either 9600 or 115200. Mine worked set at 115200. Either way, it is DEFINITELY a good idea to make sure both are set to the same port speed (which is technically called the Baud Rate.)

Step 10) Now to prep the phone. We'll only have about 1 minute flat to do the next few steps, so be sure you have everything laid out and ready before you proceed. We are now going to 'time out' the phone, but it only lasts for about a minute at a time.

Method 1) Some folks recommend copying 999 or fewer mp3 files to your SD card then opening the built in Media Player. Some people just copy the same mp3 file over and over again until they have 999 of them. (If you have 1000 or more mp3s on this phone, it will ignore you. If you already have a dozen ringtones and etc. on the phone, best stick with 900 or so.) This will 'time out' this phone for a minute or two.

Method 2) Another method I discovered is to download a nice big World Map pdf file, then open it with the Document Viewer and zoom in on it repeatedly. Once you zoom in far enough, the phone will 'time out' for about 1 1/2 minutes. These first two methods really drag the phone to a grinding halt though, and you may or may not have enough 'horsepower' left over to complete the tasks below. I recommend the third method:

Method 3) The third method I use, is to add about a hundred or so txt and pdf files under a folder named 'eBooks' on the SD card. Next, simply open the 'Document Viewer' under the Tools menu. The phone will ignore everything else you do for about a minute or so, but the phone isn't actually doing much at all, so you'll have plenty of 'horsepower' to finish up.Pick one of the three methods and proceed immediately to the next step.

Step 11) Now, plug the USB cable into your phone.

Step 12) After a few seconds, you will notice the 'Phone Status' bar in the LGDownload program start to fill up with information (if you've done everything properly up to this point). Once that is finished, you will notice the big 'NV Edit Start' button in the center switch from being 'grayed out' to being black and selectable. Click it!

Step 13a) A pop up window will appear asking for the Service Program Code. Of course, we don't have it yet, because that is what we are trying to get. DON'T TYPE ANYTHING! Simply click the 'Ok' button, and cross your fingers. You should see a brief popup saying that it is 'Enabling DM Mode', immediately followed by saying that it is 'Reading NV RAM'. If you picked the third method above, it should proceed very quickly and finish in a few seconds. If you picked one of the other two methods, it may take a while, and may not finish at all. You may need to repeat steps 10-13 a MINIMUM of 20 times or more before it completes.

Step 13b) Ta-Da! You should see a new popup window. In the 'Security Information' screen, SEC_CODE should have your 6 digit SPC code listed. You can double check on the 'System' tab, find the entry listed as 'Service Programming Code'. This should also list your SPC Code. You rock! Stick your finger in the air and curse at Virgin Mobile! Now, proceed to step 16.

Step 14a) ONLY IF you get stuck after clicking 'Ok' for the SPC code, you may need to reset the 'Password'. The recommended way to do this is to download and install the cracked 2.7 version of CDMA Workshop:

Note that if you are doing this professionally, or need more flexibility and features, you should pay for and download the full current version here:

Note that the 'Crack' for CDMA Workshop 2.7 sets off some virus scanners. It's perfectly safe, just tell your virus scanner to ignore it, or shut it off until you're done. Either way, restart your computer (once it's installed) then go to Start Menu >> Programs and double click on 'CMDA Workshop' (note: If you do NOT restart your computer, you WILL need to close LGDownload in order to disconnect it from the USB Modem port). Repeat steps 10-11 above to 'time out' the phone again and keep the modem port open for about 1 minute. Immediately click on the 'Port' selector and select the port the phone is using (probably around port 5-9, mine uses port 7 for the USB modem, and port 8 for the GPS port) Click the 'Connect' button, then the 'Read' button. If everything is working properly, the 'Phone Information' bar will fill itself in shortly. Now click on the 'Security' tab, then click on the 'Custom Password' selector. Type '0000000000000000' (sixteen zeros) into the field, then click the 'Send' button.

Step 14b) If you are feeling lucky (this next bit didn't work for me), still using CDMA Workshop, click the drop-down box under SPC, then select 'LG Method' and click the 'Read' button. If that gives you your SPC code, skip to step 16 below. If not, close CDMA Workshop (or at least click the 'Disconnect button on the 'Main' tab), then go back to step 7 and proceed through step 13 to give it another shot.

Step 15) Still no luck? Go back to step 7 and this time select VX9900 dll (of course, you need to have installed it earlier). It didn't work for me, but good luck. Still no luck? I dunno, hit up Google for 'SPC Calculator'. Supposedly there's an LG one, but I never found an SPC calc that worked for me (for this phone). You could try any of the other dll files, but none of the other ones were recommended. On the far-fetched end of the spectrum, you could find and try either the Qualcomm Phone Support Tool package, (QPST) or the LG version, LGNPST. I had limited success even getting these to talk to the phone, but best of luck! There's a wealth of information right here in this forum, so don't ignore the little search box up at the top if you decide to investigate any of these methods. ;)

Step 16) Once your phone decides to stop ignoring you, click 'No' and close whatever other programs you had running. Once you're back to the stupid red 'Home' screen, push the little 'Phone' button to bring up the dial pad. Dial ##port# (##7678#) Ooo!! Cool secret stuff.. Now, type in your SPC Code (the phone says 'Enter Service Code'). Almost done. Click where it says 'DM Mode Enable' This will switch the USB port from being used to connect the phone as a removable hard drive, to using the USB modem port and GPS port whenever you plug the phone into your computer. If you want to switch your phone back to being a removable hard drive, simply repeat this step, except this time select 'UMS Mode Enable'.
[/hide-thanks]
You're done!! Good job! Now you can change settings, view your file system, tether your phone to your computer as a modem, unlock the phones firewall.. The possibilities are endless!! At least until you do something STUPID and crash your phone like a computer with a nasty virus. This is commonly known as 'bricking' your phone. After that point your phone is not useful for anything other than being a paperweight, or possibly as a brick in a wall. So.. do NOT go doing a bunch of crazy stuff on your phone until you find specific instructions on how to do it, and read up on other people who followed those instructions without turning their phone into a brick!

I just opened the seashell, it's up to you guys to go out there and dig for pearls!

*** Feeling especially Generous, Thankful or Ecstatic? Quick! Click my paypal link below, and throw me a few bucks before you change your mind! ;)

(Hope that last bit isn't against forum rules, just giving them a chance to donate, not demanding money. Feel free to delete it if it's a No-No Whitey or Dex or..?)

**EDIT** 9/15/2010 per Dex

IF YOU ARE AT ZERO POSTS DO NOT PM ME OR ERIC303 for the password to the RAR file it will not happen you need to contribute to the community first

wthigon
09-10-2010, 12:07 AM
Wow, this is the most detailed tutorial I have ever read. Good Job!!

DankOfOwnage
09-10-2010, 12:42 AM
Very nice...a Virgin Mobile phone?...wow
I personally don't even mess with em, but a thanks all the same for a good find!

Alex F450
09-10-2010, 08:23 AM
Very nice. Even though i was able to get my SPC / MSL from virgin mobile this is a great way to do it if you can't. I'll be writing something up here in the next few days on how to completely unlock 3rd partys apps so that they are able to get full network use as well as customizing the brew os that virgin locked down.

Very nice though!

PxTORO
09-10-2010, 11:39 AM
I have tried this method and have confirmed that it works on another forum, thanks for your hard work and dedication! I have sprint users wanting to switch to version mobile now because of all the success, the abilities, service and prices that they don't have.

I have a problem with having to PM someone for a dll that can be acquired by googling for a few minutes so I give it freely to anyone who wants it. This 9100 dll works 100% as I have tried it on 3 phones now. Also, if you take the 1000 mp3's method, fake or not, it works perfectly without having to complicate things. Just start the media player and hit all songs, plug it in, and follow the directions.

Thank you so much once again!!

Here is the dll.... [Only registered and activated users can see links]

Crogon
09-10-2010, 12:11 PM
I'll be writing something up here in the next few days on how to completely unlock 3rd partys apps so that they are able to get full network use as well as customizing the brew os that virgin locked down.

Brilliant!! I was looking for just that feature myself! I've got a dozen or so favorite applets that are currently pigeon-holed in the 'Needs Internet' category. I'll try REALLY hard to wait patiently!

Everyone else.. I can't tell you how pleased I am, across the board all the forums are reporting 100% success! :D
(..knock on wood!)

whitey10tc
09-10-2010, 12:27 PM
Crogon,
I applaud you on what you have accomplished here and for the excellent work. Good job and welcome fellow Guru!!!

thecromers
09-10-2010, 04:11 PM
Thanks ever so much for this!

rileyper
09-10-2010, 08:42 PM
omg thank you so much :D

bpear96
09-10-2010, 10:56 PM
ok i have my spc code how to i tether?

Crogon
09-11-2010, 03:13 AM
ok i have my spc code how to i tether?

There are no proven methods yet (that I know of) Now that we can unlock the phone, we can start looking for a method to make it happen.

My first suggestion would be to Google 'LG Touch tether'.. it might help to add in -env3 and -env. Next suggestion would be to dig through these two threads at howards and take note of all the useful info for tethering:

Third suggestion, and possibly the most useful, would be to adapt this info:

Just a couple of gems I've been hanging on to until I get around to looking into it. Good luck!

P.S. Somebody (hint-hint!) should start a thread here specifically related to tethering the Rumor Touch! :D

Crogon
09-11-2010, 03:20 AM
I notice Whitey hid the main content of the solution. That confused the CRAP out of me when I first joined. For those of you coming into the forum for the first time, you'll need to join the forum real quick, then click the 'Thanks' button in the bottom right corner of that post. Then you will be able to see the hidden content. :D

Peace out!

mobilefreedom
09-11-2010, 04:43 AM
If a Virgin Mobile phone can be felled, anything can!

Cannon
09-12-2010, 10:10 PM
KUDOS! This worked. Took me a while, but it finally worked.

For the method of making your phone 'time out' long enough for the NV Edit to get to 100%, I took the mp3 method and twisted it a little. Rather than using actual mp3's, I took a 1mb file and changed the extension to .mp3. This way, I could fit as many (fake) mp3's onto my card (which is only 2gb, so using actual mp3 files didn't make it time out long enough). Just keep adjusting the amount of mp3's until it hits 100%.

Now to figure out how to do the other things I need to do since I've come this far. Thanks again!

x4gvnferdi
09-13-2010, 01:47 PM
Using Bitpim, looking at everything, but not sure what I'm looking for, tried renaming my custom ringtones but they just disappeared, glad we got this far, hopefully we can get a bit further. I don't wanna mess with it too much so I ruin something, but maybe if I knew what I was looking for I might be able to assist further in helping crack this nutshell which is the VM LG Rumor Touch!

bpear96
09-13-2010, 04:39 PM
Oh and btw if anybody wants apps and games on there lg vm rumor touch check out my site vmtouch.com ([Only registered and activated users can see links])

mattcarpenter
09-14-2010, 12:23 PM
Can someone please help me?

I followed these instructions and the phone to show up on a com port. However. Whenever I try to upload the prl, it keeps going back to Virgin Mobile. I check the prl on the phone and it doesn't change.

Everytime I try to make a call it keeps saying "the number or code you have dialed is not valid"..

Any suggestions???

Please help.

Thanks

cdtatum
09-15-2010, 10:13 AM
Thank You! This is Awesome. I have been waiting for someone to tame the beast that is virgin mobile!

captainkirks
09-15-2010, 06:41 PM

I followed these instructions and the phone to show up on a com port. However. Whenever I try to upload the prl, it keeps going back to Virgin Mobile. I check the prl on the phone and it doesn't change.

Everytime I try to make a call it keeps saying "the number or code you have dialed is not valid"..

Any suggestions???

Please help.

Thanks

We are playing around with trying to make the prl stick. Dose anybody have the dll or firmware for the sprint version?

captainkirks
09-15-2010, 07:20 PM
Here is a file that will slow down the phone to read the spc everytime. Its just a copy of a pdf ad we did but its 192 mb size.

[Only registered and activated users can see links] (MD5: B83B12C21E0498B4B56858EAE1ABB6D7)

cdtatum
09-15-2010, 09:52 PM
I actually found it easier to do add a lot of music and go through the media player. Going through the document viewer didn't give enough time. So if anyone is having trouble with the suggested method try through the media player

Crogon
09-16-2010, 03:13 AM
Greetings everybody! Happy to see everything is green across the board!

My apologies for being offline for a couple of days. Something freaky happened with my laptops power. I suspect my munchkin knocked it over or something and didn't tell me. Anyway, I tore it apart and hotwired it, so I'm good to go now. :)

You guys are burning PRL'S?? Isn't that a little risky considering we're not actually using the proper dll files for the phone? Anyway, I have heard on other forums that people are having a bit better luck using LGNPST and the 9200 dll. I saw one reference to using the 10000 and one using the 11000, but I don't even recall which prog they were using.. if you want to experiment. Somewhere in Howards 60ish post long thread, there's some instructions on how to see the hidden files and folders and stuff:

Good luck with that. I plan on going through and extracting all the data and posting it into a wiki at some point. Tons of good info in there, but it does tend to meander.

For those trying to tether the phone, it appears the sprint phones use an applet of some sort to accomplish it, so we may need to rip the applet and associated settings out of the Sprint Rumor Touch, and hack it into our VM Rumor Touch phones before we succeed in that effort. I've seen it done more than a few times on Windoze Mobile phones. You buy the unlocked version, and you get a snazzy little app that hooks everything up for you, but if you buy the at&t or t-mobile version, you just get a hyper-link or something that tells you to piss off until you shell out extra money for the 'feature'. :P &^#%$!! So yeah, you can blame this crap on Micro$ofts marketing model.

Peace out!

Crogon
09-16-2010, 11:06 AM
Not exactly firmware, but some guy at Howards extracted a bunch of stuff off of his phone. I haven't looked at it yet, so I'm not sure exactly what it is. It's in the 'opened ports' thread.

Possibly a bit closer to firmware, apparently, someone has extracted the cab files for the update. I'm waiting to hear back about that. :)

EDIT: NEED SOMEONE TO CONFIRM THIS! From what I read earlier, the Security Code is NOT in the NV RAM until after it has been entered in the phone for the first time. Of course, I already have my code, so I can't double check this and verify it. I'm hoping someone will take the time to read through the thread and get this far BEFORE they extract the code from their phone and use it for the first time.

This would be useful for people who can't seem to 'time out' their phone long enough to do the steps I outlined. According to count-dooku from Howards, if you can read the memory at least to the RX 105 block, you will have the security code. Previous reports claimed it was in 85 somewhere, so I'm not sure whats going on here.

Thanks so much for any help!

If LGDownload fails to complete 'Reading NV RAM' (in my case it always stops at about 35% and quits), you may still be able retrieve the SPC code from the partial output. Go to C:\LG Electronics\LGDownload\Model\VX9100\LOG and open one of the error log files (the larger the file size, the more likely it will contain the SPC code). Search for NV_SEC_CODE_I in the file. You may see something like this:

Reading NV_SEC_CODE_I 85 (0x55) ----------------------------------------

TX. 105 : 26 55 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 &U..............................
00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 ................................
00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 ................................
00 00 00 00 00 A5 34 7E ......4.

RX. 105 : 26 55 00 33 39 35 39 34 37 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 &U.395947.......................
00 00 00 00 00 .....

Success Reading NV_SEC_CODE_I

Pay attention to the "RX. 105" line, the last 6 digit number is the SPC code.

dareed56
09-16-2010, 01:20 PM
thank you for this information

Crogon
09-16-2010, 06:18 PM
In other news, I got my first donation! :D Woo-Hoo!! Every little bit helps, so thanks so much! :)

chinam4n
09-19-2010, 05:45 PM
thannks great works

zone_driver
09-21-2010, 07:35 PM
Keep up the Good work! Cant wait to try this out, and it will sure be great being able to use my phone as a modem.
-Thanks again

zone_driver
09-22-2010, 01:31 AM
Thanks for sharing the vmtouch.com link. It has alot of great stuff and links.

rex
09-25-2010, 02:27 PM
thank you so much for the contribution u did to our community

bigsupersquid
09-27-2010, 11:24 AM
Well, worked great for me.
Actually, thanks so much to Crogon, if not for having filesystem access available on this beast I wouldn't have bought it!
I followed his instructions from the beginning of the thread as follows:
step 1 no prob, I also captured the driver "LGUSBModemDriver_WHQL_Eng_Ver_4.9.7_All_Win7.exe" after it was downloaded by the LGMobile support Tool... i'd attach it here but :confused: i can't figure out how to attach files other than sound or pics. Tell me how and i'll post it. With the driver itself, no need for the support tool! Saves a bit of time.
did step 2, then skipped to step 5 (just couldn't wait for password required for step 3 even though i'd like the full set of DLLs)
did steps 6,7,8. skipped step 9.
for step 10:
I used the pdf from this post #20 in this thread pdf file ([Only registered and activated users can see links]) to 'freeze' the phone. Put it in eBooks folder in root of my SD card. opened the file with built-in doc viewer, and POOF! apparent phone lockup, ports exposed.
steps 11-14 went flawlessly. LGDownload pulls SPC on first try. Beautiful!
then step 16 works fine as well. Loving it!
Only had the phone a day and i already whacked the phone filesystem once with bitpim (using lg9100 as phone) and had to do a ##rtn# full reset to the phone to get critical files restored (it copies everything back to the internal memory from the ROM [or NVRAM now, i guess] on a hard reset).
I had cleared the wrong files out trying to get the phone to rebuild its program list (my other cell handsets i've messed with would all rebuild their menus after deleting the file[s] which held the apps info) after deleting out the stupid 'social networking' stuff and the things that cost money to use (contact vault, navigator). They deleted all right, but their selection buttons remained (pressing those buttons would reboot the phone,) and trying to get rid of those messed up my phone on the first try. No longer were JAD files recognized as installable! eek. turns out bitpim won't save a whole tree from this thing, just individual folders which don't contain other folders. so, i'm now backing up my restored filesystem by hand, one folder at a time, through bitpim, before i go hacking around more (which I certainly will be doing!!!)
Anyway, i'm into it now up to my elbows, and thanks again Crogon for this LOVELY tutorial!
I'll add info here on CDMAgurus as I figure it out. Someone point me to the right thread, or I can start a new one if neccesary (don't wanna clutter up the forum, though.) For instance, if you wanna look at the java progs built in the phone (and the ones you've installed manually or ..shudder.. bought OTA from VMobile as well,) they're under /ams/[10-21] folders using bitpim (or QPST or whatever.) open the JAR archive for one of the built-in apps with something like 7zip ([Only registered and activated users can see links] ([Only registered and activated users can see links])) after extracting one of those numbered folders to your computer and you can see the required size for icons and tons more info, and the JAD's for the built-ins contain the required permisson lines to access the network, &etc.
Fun, fun, fun!

jpflanigan
09-28-2010, 06:56 PM
Very nice! I'm trying it out...more later.

mobilefreedom
09-29-2010, 02:48 AM
Let's knock down ALL of VM's phones, then All of Tracfones, then Net10...then...lol

captainkirks
09-29-2010, 06:36 AM

Any suggestions???

Please help.

Thanks

Has anybody had any luck with making this stick?

dmb
09-30-2010, 03:48 PM

Any suggestions???

Please help.

Thanks

Matt,

I didn't see that anyone suggested anything to get your phone back into operation, but I believe the same thing happened to me. To get mine working again, I dialed up ##786# then selected "Reset Default". Enter the security number and proceed. This will bring the phone back to it's factory settings, but you'll probably have to reactivate the phone too. Unfortunately, you'll lose all contact info, etc.

Good luck,

dmb

jpflanigan
09-30-2010, 07:55 PM
I got the method to work! (DM Mode at will now), but haven't been able to do anything useful...#777 returns "invalid number".

Crogon
10-01-2010, 11:55 AM
Greetings everybody!! Sorry I've been offline for a bit, a friend got a couple of new laptops I had to tweak the crap out of. For the record, Windows 7 blows! Think I'll be getting one of these quad-core laptops myself soon as I can. Assuming OpenSUSE or Ubuntu or something supports them. :) Anyway, it seems no one quite knows why this thread got hidden. Apparently it's stickied now, so woo-hoo!!

Thank you to everybody, and you are all very welcome!

bigsupersquid - Good stuff!! I would LOVE to see a thread about all the new stuff you've discovered! If you are taking the time to back up all of your folders, you might want to look into the hidden folder issue. I'm not quite sure if anyone has solved that yet or not. I keep dishing out the info I've got at hand, but not too many people report back what they've discovered. :( I would LOVE to get my hands on a copy of the complete file system, if you're taking the time to back it all up.

Sparky
10-01-2010, 02:42 PM
Great information!

I struggled a bit with the LG Download program <<Not Responding>>. Changing the sequence a bit made it easier.

Begin by performing Method 1 of step 10 in post #1. I found it easier to follow Cannon's suggestion (post #14) and renamed a random 500K file to .mp3. Then I copied it into a blank directory on my computer. Then I multiple copied and pasted it several times until I got about ten copies with automatically progressive names. Then I "Select All" copy, paste, select all, copy, paste, etc (each select all, copy, paste doubles the number of files in the folder) until I had about 200 copies (which goes fast). Then I copied those 200 files to the LG phone. Perform a trial run on the phone's media player. Time how long it takes to finish initializing. You need at least a minute. Add more .mp3s if necessary.

Now do steps 1 and 2 in post #1. The LG Download program wants to see the device drivers already installed, I think. To make it happy, start the media player on your phone and connect the USB cable while it is initializing. Four USB drivers will load. After you have confirmation that the USB drivers have loaded, unplug the USB cable (while the media player is still initializing).

Now you can do steps 3 through 8. If you reboot the computer you will have to repeat the above paragraph after any reboot.

Now you are ready for steps 10 through 13. When LG Download shows me what I want, I press the PrintScreen key on my computer to save the display (backup copy) to the clipboard. Later, I can paste it into Paint if the information I want somehow disappears from the LG Download screen.

That is what I remember about what I did. You might have to adjust the procedure to your tastes. Having the four USB drivers loaded before trying to run LG Download made the whole process much simpler for me.

Have fun.

And A Huge Thanks to Crogon!

Sparky
10-02-2010, 09:58 PM
Here is a bit of inspiration for anyone who speaks java ...

When I loaded Books from GetJar ([Only registered and activated users can see links]) and ran it, I see the following directories in "Open File":
+ MemoryCard/
+ shared/
+ fs/
+ Dcam_Review/

which sort of implies that the bottom three are not on the card which further implies they might be on the phone device.

Alas, Books reports only the TXT files it sees, but a fluent Java speaker might ...

Crogon
10-03-2010, 11:35 PM
I'll have to look into that, I THINK 'shared' and 'Dcam_Review' are hotlinks to their respective folders the the 'fs' folder, but it could prove interesting. I've tryed a couple of java file managers and didn't see that, so it could be a good find! Thanks so much!

bigsupersquid
10-05-2010, 02:34 PM
...bigsupersquid - Good stuff!! I would LOVE to see a thread about all the new stuff you've discovered! If you are taking the time to back up all of your folders, you might want to look into the hidden folder issue. I'm not quite sure if anyone has solved that yet or not. I keep dishing out the info I've got at hand, but not too many people report back what they've discovered. :( I would LOVE to get my hands on a copy of the complete file system, if you're taking the time to back it all up.

I'll upload the accessible parts of the filesystem (fresh from the ##rtn# <reset default>, except I deleted all the trial games and loaded in resistor calc and scribpad before backing up) to rapidshare or something when I've got more time, maybe later tonight. It took a couple hours to back up because bitpim won't back up folders containing other folders on this phone (think it's got something to do with the driver, using the lgvx9200 setting to access the filesystem currently,) so you have to start at the inside and work out in folder trees. ugh. it's complete as it gets, though.
the inaccessible parts of the FS are locked tight just like on my old Palm Centro. qpst shows those folders with a red circle/slash on 'em and no software I've got will open them.
the only real progress I've made is:
found a character set
figured out how to get visible icons on the menus for new java
and, my favorite, replaced the built-in software I don't want to open by accident (butterfingers syndrome) and won't ever use with innocuous software I like. The only shortcoming yet is that the original names are still on the menu, but the icons are replaceable to hint at the real programs under the false names.
This gets rid of the 'social networking' crud and the costly VM Navigator&Contact Vault stuff. I'd rather have straight up deleted all that, but deleting without replacing causes lockups and reboots of the phone when you try to open the non-existent softwares. Better to replace it.
I'll put up a new thread later when I get the upload done.
<edit> ok, the new thread is at:
LG-VM510-filesystem-innards-tricks-and-treats ([Only registered and activated users can see links])
and, in keeping with the theme of this thread, if anyone wants to try dodging the step of installing and using the LG Mobile Support Tool to get the driver, I captured the vm510 driver when it downloaded for installation. here it is:
LGUSBModemDriver_WHQL_Eng_Ver_4.9.7_All_Win7.exe ([Only registered and activated users can see links])

lessthansix
10-08-2010, 04:52 PM
I've searched everywhere for Lg Download Pro 1.6 (or any version available) and all of the links have been deadends. I have everything necessary dl'd except this software. Does anyone know where it can currently be found?

whitey10tc
10-08-2010, 05:03 PM
I've searched everywhere for Lg Download Pro 1.6 (or any version available) and all of the links have been deadends. I have everything necessary dl'd except this software. Does anyone know where it can currently be found?There is a working link in post 1 step 2 of this thread. I just tested it and it is a fully functional link.

lessthansix
10-08-2010, 06:49 PM
I can download it but it's a very small file (147 kb's, I think) and when I try to open it, winzip says it's an unknown format or damaged.

MarkD426
10-09-2010, 03:01 AM
I have tried the pdf viewing to make the phone unresponsive but it seems that the phone loads them all up fine. There is no delay

lessthansix
10-12-2010, 09:14 AM
I found lg download pro 1.6 on vuze... followed all the instructions but when I freeze my phone it searches for drivers and then says that they didn't install correctly and I may have problems using the device. Anyone else have this issue?

captainkirks
10-12-2010, 09:22 AM
I have tried the pdf viewing to make the phone unresponsive but it seems that the phone loads them all up fine. There is no delay

You need to use a big pdf I use a 192 mb file it takes for ever to open.

bigsupersquid
10-12-2010, 09:40 AM
I found lg download pro 1.6 on vuze... followed all the instructions but when I freeze my phone it searches for drivers and then says that they didn't install correctly and I may have problems using the device. Anyone else have this issue?
nope, but like I said in an earlier post in this thread, I captured the driver downloaded on my system by the 'LG Mobile Support Tool' utility and posted a filesharing link to it.
...and, in keeping with the theme of this thread, if anyone wants to try dodging the step of installing and using the LG Mobile Support Tool to get the driver, I captured the vm510 driver when it downloaded for installation. here it is:
LGUSBModemDriver_WHQL_Eng_Ver_4.9.7_All_Win7.exe ([Only registered and activated users can see links])
that post is about 7 posts older than this one.
I suggest installing that driver without the phone plugged in, rebooting your computer and trying LGDownload again. I'm not aware if anyone has tried that driver yet, lemme know if it works for you.

bigsupersquid
10-12-2010, 09:45 AM

here's captainkirk's original post of the .pdf he suggested. it worked great for me.

Here is a file that will slow down the phone to read the spc everytime. Its just a copy of a pdf ad we did but its 192 mb size.

[Only registered and activated users can see links] (MD5: B83B12C21E0498B4B56858EAE1ABB6D7)

<edit> If anyone wants to tell me how to link to a specific post rather than a whole thread, I'll stop reposting file links and link direct to the originals instead. </edit>

Crogon
10-13-2010, 12:48 AM
If anyone wants to tell me how to link to a specific post rather than a whole thread, I'll stop reposting file links and link direct to the originals instead.

You can get the post link from the number in the upper right hand corner of the post. For example, your last post says #48 and if you point at the #48 you will see it is a link, to your post. :)

Thanks for helping out! :D

jrtran
10-24-2010, 07:14 PM
It works!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Thanks for sharing.

tmwmott
10-26-2010, 12:50 PM
re: How to Unlock the LG Rumor Touch - VM510 from Virgin Mobile (possibly others) #1

Thanks so much for this thread.

I hope I can contribute. I am going through this post, trying to get "connected" to my VM510. Somethings in the process provided remain unclear to me. I hope to help out by providing "clarifications" to the information I didn't understand. I don't mean to suggest the information is unclear to anyone else, "It's not you, it's me", just that there are places where I am not satisfied with going by rote, I want to understand, and other places I don't see the behavior I expect. When I figure it out, I may be able to help make it clearer for people like me. I will post more notes in subsequent replies.

Crogon
10-27-2010, 11:34 AM
tmwmott - Absolutely! I would be more than happy to try to clarify things for you. :)

tmwmott
10-27-2010, 03:30 PM
re: How to Unlock the LG Rumor Touch - VM510 from Virgin Mobile (possibly others) #1

... Somethings in the process provided remain unclear to me ... I am not satisfied with going by rote, I want to understand, and other places I don't see the behavior I expect. ...

Ultimately, once I have timeout working, one additional reboot solved my problems. Previous efforts, including change COM port numbers and speeds, left LG Download getting errors on all COM ports. A reboot fixed this.

Step 1) <This step provides "Install USB Drivers", which installs a number of things, the obviously needed one is the CDMA Modem driver.>
Step 10) <toughest only because it took so long. My effort using Method 3 did not work. Method 1, with 953 files, 2+Gb, worked best with a timeout length of 2:20. Getting those files on to the phone took a while.>

Now that I've succeeded I am SOOO THANKFUL.

testu
10-27-2010, 06:09 PM
I wanted to go to Verizon. Now I can finally do it. I will buy that phone used on Ebay and then unlock it. Thank you very much.

thekidd11
10-28-2010, 12:40 AM
Thanks alot i got my spc. Anyone know how turn of or disable evdo on this phone? Ive looked everywhere tried ##program510 and nothing.

tmwmott
10-28-2010, 02:44 PM
I am playing with AT commands at the modem's OK prompt. Don't know much about CDMA modems, but I can't get it to dial my home phone number with ATD. Anyone else tried any command prompt stuff? Is it at all relevant?

mobilefreedom
11-02-2010, 07:25 AM
I wanted to go to Verizon. Now I can finally do it. I will buy that phone used on Ebay and then unlock it. Thank you very much.

Verizon won't take the meid/esn. You can try one of the few Verizon mvnos left like Page Plus or H20 Cdma (no data though on H20 just mms). They had a Verizon mvno massacre month in September. Three of them went down like that. All had byod capability. Air Voice Express, Mingo /MyPayGo and Lucky Wireless will all be missed.

Of course, if someone brings up the ollllllllld cliche of "change the esn" . Whatever.

And if anyone knocks down another Virgin Mobile phone, please list.

chdwk
11-02-2010, 05:31 PM
Got it on the first try...Thanks!!!

inertlife
11-03-2010, 04:32 PM
Great guide! I just need to get the pass for the dlls and I'll get it all going. This is a massive breakthrough for me and a huge money saver! Huge thanks!

bobbyj
11-04-2010, 06:01 PM
Everything installs perfect, but the computer can not connect to the internet thought the phone??? Can anyone help?

Crogon
11-07-2010, 05:11 AM
bobbyj - That is commonly known as 'Tethering' your phone. I'm not sure if anyone on this forum is working on that or not, but I do know that some folks over on HowardForums are looking into it, you might want to check there. I told them they should come here to get more technical help, but I'm not sure if they ever did. good luck!

Everyone else - You are very welcome! :D

Rodgman15
11-22-2010, 02:31 AM
After unlocking a Vm510 is it possible/recommended to update the firmware from pv5 to pv7 If anyone knows Or has any idea please let me know!

texasboy
11-26-2010, 07:54 PM
i got com4 error message entering dm mode error what did i do wrong please help

squealyhelium
11-28-2010, 11:55 PM
Hi new to this board as of today. I followed Crogon's steps and got the SPC entered and can now enter ##PORT# and ##DEBUG#. What I noticed reading the debug menu is that the bluetooth chip is a BCM 2070 and it is limited to these profiles only: HSP/HFP/OPP/A2DP/AVRCP/PBAP/HID/MAP. So no DUN or FTP.

It also says that that the main chipset is a QSC6075T (Qualcomm Single Chipset). I looked on google and found out that the Sanyo Innuendo also uses this chipset.

My goal is to use the RT to tether. So is knowing what kind of chipset is has going to tell us anything about tethering? Will tethering be similar to the Innuendo - can the the Innuendo even do it?

squealyhelium
11-29-2010, 10:59 PM
For those of us who are trying to determine why nobody (it seems) has been able to tether on the Rumor Touch (RT), let's be systematic.

I am trying to see whether people just haven't been able to get the proper configurations on the PC once the phone is in DM mode or if there are some more complicated reasons such as the phone itself.

1. We know that if you follow crogon's steps you can get the phone in DM mode. The phone can be seen in the device mananger with 3 ports: Serial, GPS and Modem. So obviously the drivers have been installed. The Modem com port can also be changed if needed.

2. If you query the modem it *seems* to be communicating with computer giving responses to commands. 3 of the "AT..." commands are not supported - this may or may not be important. The modem query log is in the next post:

Now I have questions:

3. Are other VMO phones able to tether by using the "Dial-up connection" in windows? If so what are the username password and dialing number? If this works with other vmo phones does it NOT work with the RT?

4. Has anyone used QPST (I am using 2.7 build 3.55) to change the tethered NAI to be the same as the normal NAI? I have done this and it makes no difference.

5. are there 3rd party software programs that can tried given that the modem can be seen by the computer?

I feel that we are close and would it would be terrible if the way to tether was not found now.

Can someone put up a log of a phone that can work as a modem for VM? From an layman point of view it sort of looks like the modem is jus not dialing at all.

Basically the thrust of this attempt is to look ONLY at the computer side (except changing tethered NAI on the phone) to rule out something that would be easier than fiddling with the innards of the phone. Once it has been ruled out then it would make sense to look at the phone itself.

I wish this were more organized, but it is a bit beyond my technical ability. If this tethering is going to happen we need to be organized. Someone tell me what to do and test, I am willing to be a foot soldier in this fight! I can be able to put a few more hours into this part of the project.

P.S.

Below are two small programs that can monitor the network adapters and attached USB devices. This makes troubleshooting easier:

I wish this were more organized, but it is a bit beyond my technical ability. If this tethering is going to happen we need to be organized. Someone tell me what to do and test, I am willing to be a foot soldier in this fight! I can be able to put a few more hours into this part of the project.

P.S.

Below are two small programs that can monitor the network adapters and attached USB devices. This makes troubleshooting easier.

squealyhelium
11-29-2010, 11:03 PM
This is what I got in from the device manager after running a query on the modem:

Model: +GMI: LG Electronics Inc.+GMM: Model:LG-VM510
Revision: +GMR: VM510PV7, 61006
ESN: +GSN: 0x80726BA9
+GCAP: +CIS707-A, CIS-856, +MS, +ES, +DS, +FCLASS
ATI6 - Manufacturer: +GMI: LG Electronics Inc.
ATI7 - Manufacturer: +GMI: LG Electronics Inc.
11-29-2010 01:26:00.500 - File: C:\Windows\system32\tapisrv.dll, Version 6.1.7600
11-29-2010 01:26:00.501 - File: C:\Windows\system32\unimdm.tsp, Version 6.1.7600
11-29-2010 01:26:00.501 - File: C:\Windows\system32\unimdmat.dll, Version 6.1.7600
11-29-2010 01:26:00.502 - File: C:\Windows\system32\uniplat.dll, Version 6.1.7600
11-29-2010 01:26:00.504 - File: C:\Windows\system32\drivers\modem.sys, Version 6.1.7600
11-29-2010 01:26:00.504 - File: C:\Windows\system32\modemui.dll, Version 6.1.7600
11-29-2010 01:26:00.505 - File: C:\Windows\system32\mdminst.dll, Version 6.1.7600
11-29-2010 01:26:00.506 - Modem type: LGE CDMA USB Modem
11-29-2010 01:26:00.506 - Modem inf path: oem64.inf
11-29-2010 01:26:00.506 - Modem inf section: LGSI.Install
11-29-2010 01:26:00.506 - Matching hardware ID: usb\vid_1004&pid_6000_modeminterface
11-29-2010 01:26:00.531 - Opening Modem
11-29-2010 01:26:00.531 - 460800,8,N,1, ctsfl=0, rtsctl=1
11-29-2010 01:26:00.548 - Initializing modem.
11-29-2010 01:26:00.548 - CTS is low while initializing modem.
11-29-2010 01:26:00.558 - Send: AT<cr>
11-29-2010 01:26:00.560 - Recv: <cr><lf>OK<cr><lf>
11-29-2010 01:26:00.560 - Interpreted response: OK
11-29-2010 01:26:00.570 - Send: ATE0V1&D2&C1S0=0<cr>
11-29-2010 01:26:00.572 - Recv: <cr><lf>OK<cr><lf>
11-29-2010 01:26:00.572 - Interpreted response: OK
11-29-2010 01:26:00.582 - Send: ATS7=60<cr>
11-29-2010 01:26:00.584 - TSP(0000): Making Call
11-29-2010 01:26:00.584 - Recv: <cr><lf>OK<cr><lf>
11-29-2010 01:26:00.584 - Interpreted response: OK
11-29-2010 01:26:00.585 - Waiting for a call.
11-29-2010 01:26:00.598 - Send: ATS0=0<cr>
11-29-2010 01:26:00.600 - Recv: <cr><lf>OK<cr><lf>
11-29-2010 01:26:00.600 - Interpreted response: OK
11-29-2010 01:26:00.600 - 460800,8,N,1, ctsfl=0, rtsctl=1
11-29-2010 01:26:00.617 - Initializing modem.
11-29-2010 01:26:00.617 - CTS is low while initializing modem.
11-29-2010 01:26:00.627 - Send: AT<cr>
11-29-2010 01:26:00.629 - Recv: <cr><lf>OK<cr><lf>
11-29-2010 01:26:00.629 - Interpreted response: OK
11-29-2010 01:26:00.639 - Send: ATE0V1&D2&C1S0=0<cr>
11-29-2010 01:26:00.641 - Recv: <cr><lf>OK<cr><lf>
11-29-2010 01:26:00.641 - Interpreted response: OK
11-29-2010 01:26:00.651 - Send: ATS7=60<cr>
11-29-2010 01:26:00.653 - Recv: <cr><lf>OK<cr><lf>
11-29-2010 01:26:00.653 - Interpreted response: OK
11-29-2010 01:26:00.653 - Dialing.
11-29-2010 01:26:00.653 - TSP Completing Async Operation(0x00010259) Status 0x00000000
11-29-2010 01:26:00.653 - TSP(0000): LINEEVENT: LINECALLSTATE_DIALING
11-29-2010 01:26:00.654 - TSP(0000): LINEEVENT: LINECALLSTATE_PROCEEDING
11-29-2010 01:26:00.663 - Send: ATDT####<cr>
11-29-2010 01:26:00.665 - Recv: <cr><lf>ERROR<cr><lf>
11-29-2010 01:26:00.665 - Interpreted response: Error
11-29-2010 01:26:00.665 - Hanging up the modem.
11-29-2010 01:26:00.675 - Send: ATHE1<cr>
11-29-2010 01:26:00.677 - Recv: <cr><lf>OK<cr><lf>
11-29-2010 01:26:00.677 - Interpreted response: OK
11-29-2010 01:26:00.677 - 460800,8,N,1, ctsfl=0, rtsctl=1
11-29-2010 01:26:00.694 - Initializing modem.
11-29-2010 01:26:00.694 - CTS is low while initializing modem.
11-29-2010 01:26:00.704 - Send: AT<cr>
11-29-2010 01:26:00.706 - Command Echo
11-29-2010 01:26:00.707 - Recv: <cr><lf>OK<cr><lf>
11-29-2010 01:26:00.707 - Interpreted response: OK
11-29-2010 01:26:00.717 - Send: ATE0V1&D2&C1S0=0<cr>
11-29-2010 01:26:00.719 - Command Echo
11-29-2010 01:26:00.720 - Recv: <cr><lf>OK<cr><lf>
11-29-2010 01:26:00.720 - Interpreted response: OK
11-29-2010 01:26:00.730 - Send: ATS7=60<cr>
11-29-2010 01:26:00.732 - Recv: <cr><lf>OK<cr><lf>
11-29-2010 01:26:00.732 - Interpreted response: OK
11-29-2010 01:26:00.732 - Waiting for a call.
11-29-2010 01:26:00.742 - Send: ATS0=0<cr>
11-29-2010 01:26:00.746 - Recv: <cr><lf>OK<cr><lf>
11-29-2010 01:26:00.746 - Interpreted response: OK
11-29-2010 01:26:00.746 - TSP(0000): LINEEVENT: LINECALLSTATE_DISCONNECTED(0x4000)
11-29-2010 01:26:00.747 - TSP(0000): LINEEVENT: LINECALLSTATE_IDLE
11-29-2010 01:26:00.773 - TSP(0000): Dropping Call
11-29-2010 01:26:00.773 - TSP Completing Async Operation(0x00010215) Status 0x00000000
11-29-2010 01:26:00.777 - TSP(0000): Closing Call
11-29-2010 01:26:00.780 - Session Statistics:
11-29-2010 01:26:00.780 - Reads : 44 bytes
11-29-2010 01:26:00.780 - Writes: 35 bytes

squealyhelium
11-29-2010, 11:26 PM
Ok,

I finally got a uploading account on mediafire.

This is a link to the "Remote Access Diagnostic Report" generate as the RT tried and failed to tether via windows7:

what other boards will be able to do anything with this information? Howard Forums is the only one that comes to mind.

EthanPU
12-07-2010, 07:53 PM
I've just found this site [Only registered and activated users can see links] ([Only registered and activated users can see links]), could I just borrow the technical
data from the web site or do I need some kind of permission?. I'm writing a project for school.

Ethan

sharpe351
12-07-2010, 08:35 PM
I think I am doing something wrong. I can get the phone to stall as described, but before I can download, the phone resets. I essentially am getting to step 13a. Is there any help anyone can offer? I have tried this process about 40 times, so, I think I'm getting pretty good at it.
-Mike

**edit** scratch that... just cracked it!!! Thanks to Crogon for the thread and Captain Kirks pdf file. both mine and my wife's phones are now accessible.

mdogg5
12-09-2010, 12:32 PM
Thanks bro!!! I just unlocked my phone.. Your Awesome!!!!!

Plutoniumrings
12-12-2010, 01:07 AM
If this works, I will be so freakin happy! >.> I just recently got my phone and I have been rinniing into alot of the "unlock code" for my phone,...

Crogon
12-15-2010, 01:56 AM
I am so glad everyone is getting through this and making it work!

Sorry I can't help you figure out how to tether it. Obviously once you've got it this far, it shouldn't be too hard. Here's what I would suggest:

1) Read up on all things VM, RT and tether related (well.. this last year or two). This will give you a concept of the hows and why's. I can tell you right now that you're missing the big picture. For one, you can FTP over bluetooth, it's been done. I think the program is called BlueFTP or something like that, you just put it on the phone and it works. So, read up first, so you aren't making silly mistakes.

2) Start a new thread, ask questions and pick peoples brains. The vast majority of people who MIGHT be able to help you figure this out are NOT looking in this thread. Start a new one with a good clear title asking for help, and maybe you'll get it. :) Be sure you are crystal clear on the concepts if people start asking you stuff (see step 1).

3) Dig around and don't give up. About a dozen guys got part of the way there to unlocking this phone. I read everything I could find, figured out everything that didn't work and why, figured what should work, then planned a way to do it. After a lot of hard work and trial and error, I finally got from point A to point B and unlocked the phone. Then I reset it a couple of times to make sure it worked from ground zero, then did it a couple of more times to write out all the steps as clear as possible, for you guys to follow.

Best of luck! I'm certain it can be done, it's simply a matter of putting the pieces together, and having the determination to see it through. :)

EDIT: Yep, BlueFTP: [Only registered and activated users can see links]

Timothy Sanford
12-18-2010, 12:26 AM
i dont know anything about computer programming so i'm reading to see how to unlock my virgin mobile rumor touch so please YES YES help me to get the password. thanks.

Timothy Sanford
12-18-2010, 02:22 AM
i tried EVERYTHING and nothing haapens so i think i need the expert to come to Ga with his/her laptop and meet me inside chickfila to unlock the phone for me, because to me, teaching this programming is like teaching a baby, a baby cant do anything and thats the category of my programmi ng skills so i guess i'll just have to deal with limited use

whitey10tc
12-18-2010, 02:42 AM
i tried EVERYTHING and nothing haapens so i think i need the expert to come to Ga with his/her laptop and meet me inside chickfila to unlock the phone for me, because to me, teaching this programming is like teaching a baby, a baby cant do anything and thats the category of my programmi ng skills so i guess i'll just have to deal with limited useWe might have a guru in Georgia that can do that. Sit tight and maybe one of them will pick up on this post.

DYNET
12-18-2010, 07:47 AM
hello i am really surprised here i did it after continues 48 hour
gone 18 cup coffee and 24 cigarette stick yuuuuu peeeeeee

use ebook method it will work fast i recommended it :D

It's not so easy just take time and don't lose your hope

Regards
Advance cdma Team

tmwmott
12-18-2010, 03:28 PM
Timothy, Remember what I told you on facebook. You will probably not get what you want (contact and calendar sync'ing and others) even after you unlock the phone. There is a lot yet to be discovered about how VM's RT implements those things. -Peter

blackes56
12-20-2010, 06:05 AM
I have been able find the MSL for LG ln510 (Rumor touch) in a very easy way.
Using LG Download Program 1.6 (lgdp 1.6) and select DLLs for vx9800
NV Edit without the MSL code.
Ignore the error.
A windows will appear with SEC_CODE as your MSL.

pankakes
12-24-2010, 05:38 AM
much thnx crogan. Nice work!

loukin
01-03-2011, 07:30 PM
After unlocking the phone and activating dm_mode and installing drivers how do I use the phone as a modem? I tried the #777 and I get an error.

dreamgoat
01-05-2011, 04:39 PM
wow nice work, I can't believe how detailed this is thanks a lot!!!

Jacob Stonewall Pack
01-17-2011, 05:46 PM
I'm sorry to bother, first i want to say I've been waiting a long time for some awesomeness like this to come along. I was able to get my code out of virgin mobile once and then they got smart :P (and then i changed phones :l) I've put something like 300 (totaling 227 mb) .pdf and .txt files in my eBooks file. Then ill run opera, google maps, and some games in the background. I'll click on the document view and wallah! Its timed out for like 5 minutes. But my lg download is not exactly working smoothly (not to say its not my fault, it might be) i downloaded all the drivers, etc. Before i time out my phone, I'll prep lg download, load the .dll, click on "NV Edit" then i plug in my now timed out phone and the time when lg download dosen't freeze, it still dosent do anything. I can see the connecting bar in the bottom right but it does nothing. I have also tried cdma workshop on port 6 (which is my serial port, the only one i can get to work) and it tells me the software name, the date it was compiled and released, the ESN sais :: failed::, the SCM ox3A, CAI Rev. 6, the number and the lock code failed. and the chipsets failed as well. And anytime i try the spc, or anything else really, it just says "Failed, phone does not answer" I would really appreciate some help if at all possible, I've tried multiple times and i'm just stumped :/

protow
01-19-2011, 05:19 PM
i know this tut will work. but my issue is my ports only stay open for less than 3 secs. then disapear.

captainkirks
01-20-2011, 12:54 AM
your file not big enough, I posted one on here that is 192 mb the port stays open for long time. Also this is just to open the port long enough to read the spc not to flash or edit the nv items.

skullangel17
01-24-2011, 03:09 PM
Well I know it's an older thread, but thank you for the hard work you two have put in for the tutorial. I'm very new to this particular phone, and I am looking forward to attempting this. I do have a question however, does it matter what size the sd card is?

kALAL2005
02-01-2011, 10:39 PM
Thanks Crogan.... I was able to unlock my lg rumor but now it will not work on my local carrier (i live in american samoa, off the coast of hawaii). I was told that i need to change the frequency on my phone in order to run on their system....they run on 850GHz....i think that is the right term. Thanks again.

tsaharms
02-03-2011, 02:05 AM
I'm sorry to bother, first i want to say I've been waiting a long time for some awesomeness like this to come along. I was able to get my code out of virgin mobile once and then they got smart :P (and then i changed phones :l) I've put something like 300 (totaling 227 mb) .pdf and .txt files in my eBooks file. Then ill run opera, google maps, and some games in the background. I'll click on the document view and wallah! Its timed out for like 5 minutes. But my lg download is not exactly working smoothly (not to say its not my fault, it might be) i downloaded all the drivers, etc. Before i time out my phone, I'll prep lg download, load the .dll, click on "NV Edit" then i plug in my now timed out phone and the time when lg download dosen't freeze, it still dosent do anything. I can see the connecting bar in the bottom right but it does nothing. I have also tried cdma workshop on port 6 (which is my serial port, the only one i can get to work) and it tells me the software name, the date it was compiled and released, the ESN sais :: failed::, the SCM ox3A, CAI Rev. 6, the number and the lock code failed. and the chipsets failed as well. And anytime i try the spc, or anything else really, it just says "Failed, phone does not answer" I would really appreciate some help if at all possible, I've tried multiple times and i'm just stumped :/

You are using the wrong program. You need to use lgnpst not lg download. The dll for this phone is only for lgnpst. Also, you will need the components

Sent from a Galaxy far, far away, using Tapatalk Pro

clc130
02-04-2011, 09:27 AM
Wow, I have been looking for this forever. Was almost considering just switching to one of the android phones and rooting it for tethering (might still do that since the newest one has wi-fi).

rich hathaway
02-04-2011, 10:26 AM
Wow, I have been looking for this forever. Was almost considering just switching to one of the android phones and rooting it for tethering (might still do that since the newest one has wi-fi).

pretty much all the droids have wi-fi dude. they are nice phones.they gotta be to compete with those dang iphones..lol.

clc130
02-04-2011, 10:35 AM
pretty much all the droids have wi-fi dude. they are nice phones.they gotta be to compete with those dang iphones..lol.

If I recall correctly, the first droid they got on VM, the samsung intercept, did not have wi-fi (if it does, they did not advertise it in the specs). The new LG Optimus V they have is advertised as having wi-fi.

tsaharms
02-04-2011, 10:41 AM
The intercept has wifi. Also, compare all the android devices before you buy. The optimus really isn't a great device, imho. Check out the Evo, or the epic.

Jo.
02-05-2011, 11:06 AM
Do I need a certain number of posts in order to see a solution to unlock lg rumor 2 (virgin mobile)?

rich hathaway
02-05-2011, 11:22 AM
Do I need a certain number of posts in order to see a solution to unlock lg rumor 2 (virgin mobile)?

push the thanks button and you will see it.

Jo.
02-05-2011, 11:44 AM
I did pushed the thanks button (on the bottom left). That's gone now and I still don't see anything but the original message - the one that doesn't give the information and just says push the thanks button.

? ? ?

whitey10tc
02-05-2011, 01:32 PM
I did pushed the thanks button (on the bottom left). That's gone now and I still don't see anything but the original message - the one that doesn't give the information and just says push the thanks button.

? ? ?If you use the report post button in the future, this bug would have been addressed 2 hrs ago. It is fully functional now.

mezzie911
02-12-2011, 07:17 PM

I have been trying to solve this for a few days now w/ no luck. I have used 2 comps, both of which said the same thing, unfortunately. Also, after I get them to show up, how do I locate which one to use?

tsaharms
02-13-2011, 10:31 AM
Try using lgnpst. Lg download won't work with this phone

mezzie911
02-13-2011, 01:05 PM
what is lgnpst?

tsaharms
02-13-2011, 02:57 PM
what is lgnpst?

You can get it Here ([Only registered and activated users can see links])

mezzie911
02-13-2011, 10:52 PM
omg thank you so much! you really helped me out a lot.

LYFSUXXX
03-04-2011, 07:25 AM
I got the method to work! (DM Mode at will now), but haven't been able to do anything useful...#777 returns "invalid number".

i tried *99# and recieved the 777 error

darkjoker1231
03-20-2011, 01:27 AM
does this realy work or is it away to make money.

whitey10tc
03-20-2011, 10:01 PM
does this realy work or is it away to make money.Read through the thread, you'll find a lot of helpful info. If it was a solution for sale it would be in the market place forums not in the LG forums, so there's nothing for sale in this thread.

Xc1uSiv3
03-22-2011, 08:25 PM
Wow :D

Virtual genius!

Thank you,oo muchh!!

amoamare
03-22-2011, 11:16 PM
Now, Full Flash It hahah :)

Tassadaar
03-31-2011, 10:38 AM
Scratch That. Trying Lgnpst. I read earlier someone said I would need all the "components" Not sure what those are?

Tassadaar
03-31-2011, 11:23 AM
Im sure it's something completely stupid but I cant get LGNPST to Work I have the 1.1 store version and when I hit file and select DLL it gives me an error: Connect handset device(s) or select model(s) on the list. But I cant find a list that I can select any model off of. Honestly I kinda have no clue what im doing right now >.< Any help would be appreciated

Tassadaar
03-31-2011, 12:36 PM
Bah ive messed it up even more, went and tried to install the lab version instead and its all muffed up = ( If Virgin Mobile/Sprint had ANY coverage here id just go with them but I love this phone and they dont >.<

gary23548
03-31-2011, 07:36 PM
I was looking all over the internet for a guide on doing this, and here it is I found it. Thanks a lot!

Crogon
04-02-2011, 01:20 AM
Tassaadar - I'm not at all sure where you're at in the process.

My first advise? Start over. Uninstall whatever you've done, and reboot your computer. This time ONLY download and install the items I've linked and discussed.

Take it one step at a time. This solution is old enough now, I think it's fair to call it bulletproof. :)

enixidfrag
04-03-2011, 11:10 AM
Hoping to try this soon. Do you know if this will work for LG Lotus it won't recognize in LGDownload under windows 7

bpear96
04-05-2011, 07:07 PM
The intercept has wifi i have one

ICU
04-10-2011, 07:20 PM
Hello everyone!
I'm feeling pretty stupid right now, I've run the gauntlet with my LG R/touch.... For some reason my USB will not see my phone.It connects & charges i can down load photos & videos... I have tried to run the installs did all the VX9900 business, When i bring up the start Updating set up box it keeps telling me my phone is disconected.... I don't clam to be the sharpest tack in the box... Note the executer don't exe? what am i not doing right? thanks

captainkirks
04-10-2011, 08:55 PM
your usb is block from virgin mobile. It is only allowing the two charging tips on the usb to work the two other date tips are block. You will need the spc to open the port. The instruction on the first page work great. One you get the spc you can than open the usb port.

scminh99
04-13-2011, 10:19 PM
Big thanks to Crogon for the information in this thread. With post #1 and #23 I was able to unlock my VM510. I've had the phone for a few months now but haven't really messed with it since it basically does what I need, not necessarily the way I'd like though.

LYFSUXXX
04-15-2011, 04:12 AM
Iv'e been away for awhile tell me someone finally actually tethered the vm r\touch i have updated myself on service codes etc. have yet to find or see the phone as a modem tethered

thesmitty68521
04-15-2011, 10:08 AM
Iv'e been away for awhile tell me someone finally actually tethered the vm r\touch i have updated myself on service codes etc. have yet to find or see the phone as a modem tethered

Congratulations. You just hijacked a thread. Your post has nothing to do with what the subject of the thread is about. Perhaps you can start your own thread and then you question might be answered.

derock420
04-23-2011, 06:01 PM
thanks alot

jackrussell
05-14-2011, 02:02 PM
I have the same phone from sprint which is on the same network, it should work right?

blazit08
05-17-2011, 11:21 PM
aaaasome! ive been wanting to tether my phone forever!

915_P5
05-25-2011, 12:35 AM
Wut can i do to view this ive been on here for awhile and still unadle to view the tutorial. Can some pls help

ArielleJL
05-25-2011, 01:04 PM
thanks ever so much...appreciate it

Silent7x
07-06-2011, 06:45 PM
This is great! Thanks

fknrockstar
07-20-2011, 04:36 AM
im hopin to fix my fone been messin with it for a day or so now either way thanks for the dl

dirtyneedlz
07-25-2011, 07:13 AM
thanks a bunch...Ez, J

CamelCalvery
07-25-2011, 03:10 PM
Thank you sooo much for this!

carlin2323
08-06-2011, 09:08 AM
Thanks, This is exacly what I was looking for.

empihab
08-07-2011, 03:58 PM
Greatest Post Ever.... Works tooo Easy.... THANKS A BUNCH.....

ralph
09-01-2011, 12:09 PM
I'm wanting to tether my Rumor-Touch to my laptop for internet usage (I have a data plan). Internet access works on the RT.

I have the MSL code for my RT and I've used QPST to modify the second "profile" under the MIP tab so that the phone is SUPPOSE to (I think. . . .) use the same ID to access the internet regardless if it's from the phone itself or for tethering.

Now, when my laptop dials out it gets a connection MOMENTARILY (phones shows a data-connection screen and TX/RX blink a bit) and then the phone disconnects and displays an error #678 and the laptop displays an error #67.

Can someone help be out? Anybody have any success with actually getting the RT to work for tethering? Can you share your QPST file so I can duplicate your settings?

Thanks in advance!

ayshplaysh
09-03-2011, 04:21 PM
Thanks a bunch for this.

seeker954
09-05-2011, 12:43 PM
Thanks a lot for this

kristina86
09-13-2011, 03:40 AM
I am not able to see any codes posted..please help

esteele78259
09-16-2011, 06:11 AM
thank u very much

magicpants
01-15-2012, 12:18 PM
So I am entirely new to this but I find it rather fascinating. My theory on phones until recently was that if I could easily find a charger for it, it was good enough. An Android changed all of that for me but it went into the Snake River along with what was left of my last relationship. The droid broke the camels back... Back to my VM510. I've tried so many variations of this that by now I think I'm dedicating at least a gig to LG software parts. I'm running XP. It's device manager "tree" doesn't want to let me dedicate any driver to any port for any length of time.I've tried every order of installing and uninstalling the driver software and it still says No Port. AND regardless of the size of Pda file I try to open (I added ninety copies of a 197 Mg pdf file to my Ebooks) the phone immediately asks if I want to disallow voice calls while it connects to my PC.... I've yet to see anything change on the LG edit screen. I WILL PROSPER. ..... with a little help? anyone? I even used the Modem helper to open the driver addition 3.6 where it has taken up residency. I'm sure I sound like 100% Noob to you all but I'm not quite to the point where I drop that N in exchange for a B...

jordonccc
02-01-2012, 01:44 PM
thank you for showing a way to do this.

reydesel
02-13-2012, 04:14 PM
muchas gracias carnal

123456&
02-13-2012, 04:31 PM
muchas gracias carnal

reydesel just use the thanks button
Solo usa el boton de thanks para decir gracias.

danr76
03-22-2012, 03:29 AM
Re: How to Unlock the LG Rumor Touch - VM510 from Virgin Mobile (possibly others)

thankyou

michaeljr
06-26-2012, 11:47 PM
funciona todavia donde esta la descarga?

Marc Applebee
08-29-2012, 08:53 PM
Does this work with UsCellular one?

Chenn2
01-29-2013, 07:44 PM
Okay, I read through as much of this thread as I could, but didn't find anything to shed light on an aspect of this that remains unclear to me.

I have an LG LN510 Rumor Touch, branded for Sprint. What I would like to do is unlock it for use with Virgin Mobile.

I followed the steps in the tutorial but was unable to time out my phone at all. I decided to give CDMA Workshop a try.
I simply connected my phone to the PC in modem mode, synced the baud rate in CDMA Workshop as well as the Device Manager, connected to the port, and (under the security tab) tried the LG Method for reading the SPC code.

It worked and gave me a 6 digit code immediately.. Then I did the SPC Send to send the code to the phone. It then reported:
Code Accepted. Phone is unlocked.

After this, the phone would not get a signal at all. I rebooted the phone, and it says "Entering Sprint service area".
I am not sure if I will have to try to unlock it again, or how that all works.. for instance, will I need to upload a compatible Virgin Mobile PRL to the phone in order to call them to have them activate it on their network, or will the Sprint one work?

Basically I dont understand how you go from "unlocked" to "lets go activate this phone with another carrier". Is there a critical middle component I am unaware of? TIA.

rich hathaway
01-29-2013, 08:00 PM
check out that link it will help. you should first have the phone put on your account with vm to be sure you can get it on there.

CDMA Flashing Basics ([Only registered and activated users can see links])

Chenn2
01-30-2013, 05:02 PM
Thank you sir! Some dots have definitely been connected upstairs.
It appears there was a VERY critical middle component(s) which I was missing lol.

I found that I can reprogram the MIN and MDN of the Rumor Touch by keying ##SPCSPC# on the phone (substituting SPCSPC for you actual 6 digit code of course). So with that taken care of, all I need now is to locate a valid Virgin Mobile PRL file and SID code, and get those onto the phone. And of course, give Virgin Mobile a call and see if I can't get someone to add a foreign ESN to their network. Which, yes, I should probably do that before I flash the PRL etc, that way if they say no, I can go through Cricket, as I've read they are very happy to do so.

But I did wonder if it would be possible to take an active Virgin Mobile phone, copy its PRL, SID code, ESN, MDR, MIN, etc... and flash it all to another phone, and have the new one work with no problems? Assuming of course that you either destroy the old phone or change its values, as I think that could be considered phone cloning, which is illegal if I'm not mistaken.

rich hathaway
01-30-2013, 05:47 PM
it is possible to do it but that is against forum rules to discuss anywhere here but the premium forums.

Chenn2
01-30-2013, 06:45 PM
Thanks for the heads up! I did not know that.
I will see what I can come up with O.o

Gapple89
02-11-2013, 04:15 AM
Thank you so much for the info

- - - Updated - - -

Thank you so much for the info

repaccell
03-18-2013, 01:39 AM
SOLUTION?
you need download flash file, of LGtool support for LN510 SPRINT model, flashing with Setool LGtool
and you solved all problems of this model
Good work

ronkimboo
07-26-2013, 09:20 AM
finally open the rumor touch port and using cdma workshop i think i have everything but the spc can someone give any help

123456&
07-26-2013, 10:37 AM
Send me the meid and i will generate for you.

KingKlang
10-08-2014, 09:54 AM
Agreed, this is excellent work!

hmason73
10-29-2014, 02:21 PM
Thanks i am looking forward to finals knowing

- - - Updated - - -

Thank you now i only need to figure out how to see the code.

123456&
10-29-2014, 02:42 PM
if you don't want to have hard time you can buy from me lg spc.