PDA

View Full Version : ‘Modular’ smartphones are 2016’s dumb trend

Wireless News
05-27-2016, 06:16 PM
The LG G5 has them. Google's first consumer phone will have them. The iPhone has some, thanks to this butt-ugly case . And now, it would appear that Motorola's upcoming smartphone-will have modules. But don't let the trends deceive you: modular smartphones are not here to stay. DON'T MISS: - Axon 7 is a flagship Android phone with killer specs that you never saw coming According to ever-reliable mobile leaker Evan Blass , Motorola's next handset will come with three "MotoMods," which is brand-speak for cases that do things. The cases will reportedly feature a projector, speakers, and a fancy Hasselblad camera. On the surface, these kinds of "modules" seem to make sense -- people sometimes want a better camera (or, apparently the ability to put a crappy projection on a wall), and these cases give them that functionality when they need it. https://twitter.com/evleaks/status/735862741127155713 But I don't buy into the module idea, and I suspect the vast majority of people don't either. Pricing hasn't been revealed for the Hasselblad-branded camera module, but you can expect it to be a couple-hundred dollars. Smartphones are already heinously expensive to buy every two years, and I can't see consumers sinking hundreds of dollars into mods, which are going to become outdated and useless in two years' time when they upgrade to a different smartphone. It's not just the cost, either. People who want a really good camera will just get a phone with a kick-ass camera to begin with. If that's not enough camera -- and remember, smartphone cameras are already insanely good these days -- then chances are you need a mirrorless camera or a DSLR, not an overpriced branded add-on. It's the same story with pretty much everything else. Why buy a chunky speaker module, when you could spend $50 on a Bluetooth speaker that will absolutely be better? Modules provide a marginal bump in performance, but they're expensive, only work with one device, and are normally outclassed by buying a standalone camera, speaker, or projector. On the surface, Google's Project Ara looks like it could be the difference. With Ara, you're not sticking on attachments if you feel like it -- modules are a fairly critical part of the phone's construction, so you're not adding extra bulk by trading out a big speaker for an extra battery. https://youtu.be/aWW5mQadZAY But even there, things aren't perfect. In order for the phone to be modular, it has to be thick and unattractive. We've spent a decade getting accustomed to smartphones as sleek devices crafted from steel and glass, and most people don't want to go back to something the size of a deck of cards, made from plastic. Modules aren't being driven by consumers wanting more features from their phones. It's Motorola, LG and Google trying to differentiate their devices from a sea of black rectangles. That's a good goal -- smartphones have been standing still for the last few years -- but modules aren't going to be the way to do it. Now, if I could just have my interchangeable batteries back, all will be well in the world.

More... (http://news.yahoo.com/modular-smartphones-2016-dumb-trend-220038711.html)