PDA

View Full Version : Apple applies for patent to kill jailbroken devices!

Pac3comm1
08-23-2010, 09:43 PM
Apple is apparently ramping up its battle to prevent iPhone and iPod owners from jailbreaking their devices.
The company has applied for a patent, titled "Systems and Methods for Identifying Unauthorized Users of an Electronic Device," that covers a series of security measures to automatically protect devices from thieves and other "unauthorized users." Unauthorized users apparently applies to those who engage in jailbreaking, which allows devices to run apps not approved by the company producing the operating system--such as Apple, the main target of such bypasses.
The application, which was filed in February 2009 and published Thursday, describes measures to identify "particular activities that may indicate suspicious behavior," so that "safety measures" can be taken to restrict the device's functions. Those activities include the "hacking, jailbreaking, unlocking, or removal of a SIM card," according to the application. Apple also intends to send warnings to owners via e-mail or text message when such activity is detected.
The application also describes a variety of measures that could be used to help identify the unauthorized user, including the activation of a camera that could capture and geotag the device's surroundings, and perhaps current user, and transmit that information to a remote device:
In some embodiments, an unauthorized user can be detected by comparing the identity of the current user to the identities of authorized users of the electronic device. For example, a photograph of the current user can be taken, a recording of the current user's voice can be recorded, the heartbeat of the current user can be recorded, or any combination of the above. The photograph, recording, or heartbeat can be compared, respectively, to a photograph, recording, or heartbeat of authorized users of the electronic device to determine whether they match. If they do not match, the current user can be detected as an unauthorized user.
When unauthorized use has been detected, "access to particular applications can be restricted, access to sensitive information can be restricted, sensitive information can be erased from the electronic device...," the application states, effectively wiping and bricking the device.
Apple representatives did not immediately respond to a request for comment.
In July, U.S. Copyright Office ruled that bypassing a manufacturer's protection mechanisms to allow "handsets to execute software applications" no longer violates federal copyright law. However, while the U.S. Copyright Office has declared the software legal, Apple has repeatedly discouraged users from loading such a bypass, reminding them that doing so will void their device's warranty.
"As we've said before, the vast majority of customers do not jailbreak their iPhones as this can violate the warranty and can cause the iPhone to become unstable and not work reliably," Apple had said in a statement in response to the ruling.

08-23-2010, 10:04 PM
I think Apple is going too far when just jail breaking the idevice can void the warranty on the hardware.

So, they can brick a device remotely... I wonder if they mention what they will do to remedy the matter if this happens accidentally? Probably nothing, because they will force you to agree to such risks or buy a different device.

Caveat emptor!

Pac3comm1
08-23-2010, 10:06 PM
Oh they will just issue you another leather brick holder and a dunce cap!

08-23-2010, 10:22 PM
"hacking, jailbreaking, unlocking, or removal of a SIM card,"

This part bothers me too,... if they don't want you to be able to remove the SIM, then don't use one. Build that info right into the device and have an added check if some magic math spits out the expected answer before allowing complete power on. I mean, COME ONE. I'm going to receive an email because the SIM was removed? I need to build an app that makes the device think the SIM has been removed/inserted as many times per second as possible!

Apple representatives did not immediately respond to a request for comment.

I'm getting tired of hearing this statement too. This seems to be a total cop-out by journalists lately. It allows them to weed out 'non-immediate' comments that they may not want to publish.

Pac3comm1
08-23-2010, 10:34 PM
Thats no different than taking the bill clinton defense and saying "I had no sexual relations with that woman"

DankOfOwnage
08-24-2010, 03:21 AM
The way to avoid this is to not buy a crappy Apple product of any kind...problem solved

Pac3comm1
08-24-2010, 09:26 AM
Ultimately, that is the result Apple will end up with if they insist on pursuing these measures. What they fail to realize is jailbreaking has made their device more popular than ever. What they need to do is embrace the idea and be thankful!

eric303
08-24-2010, 12:12 PM
lol if this is really true, Android here I come! I've always wanted to try an Android device but I've been so used to my iphone i am lazy to switch. But this will give me some motivation

Pac3comm1
08-24-2010, 02:21 PM
In my opinon, Android blows Apple to pieces. This should be all the motivation you need!

DankOfOwnage
08-24-2010, 04:37 PM
In my opinon, Android blows Apple to pieces. This should be all the motivation you need!

Truth rings true with this one o.O

ten0rplaya04
08-24-2010, 05:36 PM
Let's say I'm tired of my iPhone, I wipe it clean and go through the install prompts and sell it to you. You have a working iPhone that you never agreed to any terms because you weren't the person who installed it. You jailbreak the phone and get everything the way you like it and then Apple lowers the hammer and kills your phone and all you've done to it.

You never agreed to any contract with Apple and once the device is out of Apple's hands, they don't own it. They can't force you to use a device in the manner they deem correct unless you've signed a contract with them that specifically states you're bound to these terms. In this case, the phone was received in a working manner with no TOS to agree to. Apple is wrong and you sue because they have damaged your property.
======

Anywho, it's nothing to worry about...they won't connect to your iphone and brick it unless you're under contract with the att iphone plan. If they do they risk being sued because you didn't have a TOS to agree to when you received the device.

Pac3comm1
08-24-2010, 05:44 PM
Right again. They just have their panties in a wad because they botched the release of what was supposed to be the best Iphone yet. Steve-O better be careful before he ends up looking for his last name.

08-24-2010, 08:52 PM
Anywho, it's nothing to worry about...they won't connect to your iphone and brick it unless you're under contract with the att iphone plan. If they do they risk being sued because you didn't have a TOS to agree to when you received the device.

I don't know how the full agreement works, but it probably has something along the lines that YOU can't sell the device without including all agreements with it. That's how most items are. If that's the same in this case, it would be YOU that the person would be able to legally go after. I don't think anyone would attempt this though. If someone went after anyone, it would probably be APPLE. It probably depends on who the judge was in that discovery hearing as to if they allow the case to proceed and determine that if APPLE should lose, then APPLE would have to come after you as what you would have done is secondary to what APPLE did. I definitely doubt anyone would be able to make a case anyhow.

"You see, your honor, I put my full faith and trust in the storage capacity and reliability of this used iPhone I bought without reading any documentation..."

Help
08-26-2010, 02:12 PM
I dont get it. Apple is an American company. A very anti-freedom American company(at least in some ways).
I dont know why anyone would want to support and encourage this type of bussiness practice. I thought if you intentionally damaged someone elses property, "You are responsible of all resonable damages". Is this not a principal of Justice (certianly American Justice).
American companies think that they do not have to meet American standards of justice, honesty or anything else. We still support them buying thier CRAP. We seem to be more interested in the advertising and staying up with the Jones's. I think many american bussiness no longer respect the American consumer, nor does that seem to effect the secuess of thier bussiness.
Microsoft is moving towards the sucessful bussiness practices of Apple. (I feel infringing on My Rights. - ITS MY PHONE)
It just makes me want an android phone even more...

Pac3comm1
08-27-2010, 06:23 PM
I got a new name for their devices. CRAPPLE PIEPHONE!!!! ahahahahahahahaha lol

ipeverywhere
10-08-2010, 06:34 PM
Ultimately, that is the result Apple will end up with if they insist on pursuing these measures. What they fail to realize is jailbreaking has made their device more popular than ever. What they need to do is embrace the idea and be thankful!

You're absolutely right. They should embrace the idea. It's what I like to call embracism. If phones didn't pay all the bills, I would walk away from them in a heartbeat. Fascist ****s!!!