PDA

View Full Version : How to make a complete NVRAM backup - Recover bricked phone

datafirm
08-06-2010, 10:25 AM
Hello,

I have a few Pre available who's modems and ESN are in good shape. I was attempting to repair one, but seem to have destroyed the modem. Is there a way to dump the ram from one of my working pres and restore it back into the broken one? After which I can try to repair it again.

Let me know what you guys think, I know there must be a way to salvage this modem, as I can still talk to it in DIAG mode.

Thanks!

Dex
08-06-2010, 10:41 AM
webos doctor restores the modem firmware

datafirm
08-06-2010, 11:26 AM
webos doctor restores the modem firmware

Sure, but only partially. If you've modified NV Ram, and some other NV Items will not be restored. I've tried manually flashing the AMSS already and it does not restore the modem to it's factory settings. Nor does ##786, which Im not able to use because the Phone is in offline mode.

Dex
08-06-2010, 12:17 PM
i have a full NV dump that was provided from a palm pixi so i dont think they will work i may be able to pull them from a pre when i get to work

whitey10tc
08-06-2010, 10:59 PM
I had a similar problem with an old Sanyo and I did just that dumped it from a phone with a bad screen loaded it on the good phone repaired it and now my mom uses it for talk and text. But it works. You may get a ESN mismatch alert though just ignore it.

datafirm
08-09-2010, 04:17 PM
I had a similar problem with an old Sanyo and I did just that dumped it from a phone with a bad screen loaded it on the good phone repaired it and now my mom uses it for talk and text. But it works. You may get a ESN mismatch alert though just ignore it.

Are you using QPST do to the dump/backup? I've tried it this way, but was not successful.

datafirm
08-09-2010, 04:19 PM
i have a full NV dump that was provided from a palm pixi so i dont think they will work i may be able to pull them from a pre when i get to work

That would be great.. which tool are you using to pull/restore?

whitey10tc
08-09-2010, 05:18 PM
Are you using QPST do to the dump/backup? I've tried it this way, but was not successful.Nope, using CDMA WS 3.5.5. I very seldom use QPST.
But I always do a NV dump on every phone so I can go back to it if there's a problem.

datafirm
08-10-2010, 11:51 PM
Nope, using CDMA WS 3.5.5. I very seldom use QPST.
But I always do a NV dump on every phone so I can go back to it if there's a problem.

I was very new to this when I was trying, now I've learned a lot! Still using CWS 2.7 or QPST/QXDM.. is there a way to restore a NVRAM backup with those tools? This is just a hobby for a 1 time use.. so I have not purchased CWS 3.5 yet..

whitey10tc
08-10-2010, 11:56 PM
I was very new to this when I was trying, now I've learned a lot! Still using CWS 2.7 or QPST/QXDM.. is there a way to restore a NVRAM backup with those tools? This is just a hobby for a 1 time use.. so I have not purchased CWS 3.5 yet..
Bro I started with CDMA WS 2.7 The biggest thing with 2.7 is you need the dumped files to be dumped with 2.7, so you will dump from device with 2.7 and write to the other with 2.7. Otherwise you need to subtract the leading 0 off each address.

Hope I didn't confuses you there.