PDA

View Full Version : Buying in used phones off the street

thesmitty68521
07-28-2010, 03:58 PM
I, like everyone, else likes to buy in cell phones from people who come in to my store and just wants to get rid of their phone. 99% are honest and don't attempt to sell you stolen goods.

However, that 1% sure can be costly. I had the police in my shop today that said two phones were reported stolen I had in my display case. I did some more investigating and sure enough the dirtbag sold me phones he stole. I lost the phones and $75.

Now, for the question... What do you all do to prevent this from happening? This is the first time it has happened to me in three years of doing this so, it isn't a terrible problem. But since it did happen, I want to prevent it from happening again.

love2sin
07-28-2010, 04:09 PM
It coulda been worse. I,m pretty sure they could have busted you for receiving stolen property.

whitey10tc
07-28-2010, 04:09 PM
I've never had it happen, but I know that one of the Pawn brokers I flash for lives by this rule. If it's reported lost or stolen with the original carrier, he turns it over to the police and pass on the "great deal". Although he is pretty good at spotting them when people walk in the door.

thesmitty68521
07-28-2010, 04:13 PM
It coulda been worse. I,m pretty sure they could have busted you for receiving stolen property.

True that. It is a grey area on that. If I didn't know it was stolen then I really can't be charged. I did cooperate and because I do ID people who I buy from, it makes it much easier on the police. I am more cooperative than most of the dealers here in town. That helps my case quite a bit.

Pac3comm1
07-28-2010, 04:31 PM
The best thing for you to is when they bring you a the device in question you need to call the carrier the phone is originally on and check the ESN or MEID. All of them will tell you whether or not it is reported lost or stolen. Well all of them except for sprint. they will only release that information unless you are a customer. if you need help finding customer service numbers to the carriers just let me know.

ArkieKDealer
07-28-2010, 04:40 PM
True that. It is a grey area on that. If I didn't know it was stolen then I really can't be charged. I did cooperate and because I do ID people who I buy from, it makes it much easier on the police. I am more cooperative than most of the dealers here in town. That helps my case quite a bit.

Not true. I had a phone shoplifted from my shop and activated on a Cricket account. I found who had it and the prosecuting attorney charged her with theft by receiving. PA said since I couldn't prove that she was the one who stole it that they could get her on that charge.

It's a slippery slope for sure and the reason I don't buy from people off the street unless I know them. I think if I did, I would go your route and get a copy or their ID or get name, address, birthday like pawn shops do.

Cappii
07-28-2010, 04:40 PM
Generally speaking, for Verizon phones, I make sure that it can be activated with Page Plus before I even offer a buy price. You can always pull the number off and put it on a dummy ESN if necessary. If it's able to be activated, then you can buy it. If it later comes up stolen, then you may qualify for victim's compensation. You would be compensated for the amount you are out by a fund set up by the city / county. The county is reimbursed if the person is found guilty of stealing / selling the phone, and are ordered to pay restitution. Check into it.

captainkirks
07-28-2010, 06:38 PM
We ask for ID that scares away most of the bad ones, unless its like a droid for $50 than I look the other way lol

thesmitty68521
07-28-2010, 07:33 PM
We ask for ID that scares away most of the bad ones, unless its like a droid for $50 than I look the other way lol

That's a good idea until the cops show up and take it away because it is stolen.

leadnerd
07-28-2010, 07:37 PM
We ID, Also Photo Copy it, Get a phone number and write a check. This way we get a current picture via cameras here AND at the Bank since it is across the street. Suprisingly enough since we started doing that we get more people selling us their phones.

Pac3comm1
07-28-2010, 08:40 PM
Basically, the brass tax is this, remember the procedure a pawn shop will put you through to cover their John Brown hind parts. You should pull out all the stops as well to do the same.

love2sin
07-28-2010, 11:22 PM

I would NEVER buy a Droid for 50 Bucks ................... I'd offer $30

RIP MOBILE-FILES
07-28-2010, 11:33 PM
Lol i have a dont give a fucc attitude on backgrounds on phones never have police came. Always remember take off all custom cases wipe the phone put into airplane mode reload software or restore to factory settings to get rid of any tracing software put a cricket prl on it. Turn location off on droids phones. I buy all phones at a cheap price passwords on them whatever lol. I dont ask question i trust my customers. :) i tell the officer it was a false report. Cause i could sell a phone then report it stolen. So who to say who is lying.

Cappii
07-29-2010, 02:49 PM
I would certainly suspect that IDing potential sellers would generally be enough to scare away most would-be criminals. However, this is not going to stop all of them. There is always the potential of the "third-party" transactions. Inasmuch, there is little that you can do to prevent it 100% if you buy used phones. One of the companies for which I work doesn't ID customers, instead they check the phone's ESN on Verizon's website. The other is a pawn show / cell phone provider, so they not only ID, but also enter the information from that ID into the computer catalog where it will be stored permanently. In both cases, we've ended up with stolen phones.

Killgorian
07-29-2010, 04:54 PM
I always check with the provider. I have a deal with a local verizon store where they work with me. Also a photo copy of thier id will go along way in preventing people from selling stolen phones. Lastly I have extensive camera's and a big ass hard drive. lol

CellsMan
03-15-2011, 05:14 AM
Just thought I'd share what we do at my store and how effective my strictness is with purchasing used phones:

Right from the start we inform the customer if the phone is lost or stolen WE WILL CALL THE POLICE, also we will take a photo copy of your drivers license. (We copy the customers I.D. onto a pre-typed selling agreement) This agreement is the best thing I could EVER advise you to do. It states basically, if the phone is reported lost or stolen, insurance claim, fraud, etc. You will basically have all but a swat team at your door. I even put in the agreement that the phone will not be available after the conclusion of the deal, as well as a disclaimer about their personal information left on the phone. We are not held responsible for any data left on the device, etc. etc. Customer has a line to date, sign, and put contact number. Employee signature is also required. DO THIS! Keep records of all of this, and be known for running a straight-laced business. My competitors don't do anything close to what I enforce to my knowledge, clearly that is why we have a different reputation and have the respect from corp stores, indirect dealers, and individuals.

I've got to let you all know that when you put fear into someone, ask a few questions about is this your phone or a "friends phone" etc. etc. and talk about the underlined text above, it's amazing how many people walk away with that same phone in their hand BEFORE YOU EVEN RUN THE ESN. Avoid conflict and stay legit. If your not involved with a non legit phone, your hands are clean, so keep them that way.

Open accounts with all the providers you sell for, get the lowest rate plans you possibly can. You can always call in to customer service for free but time is money, utilize these accounts and get your answer in less than 3 minutes yourself, if that. You get what you pay for, the cheap route will only cost you valuable time. $250 a month for 4 main carriers, get burned on 2 or 3 androids it easily paid for itself. Just wanted to share with anyone that wanted to read up on staying legit and running a honest business. Issues with lost or theft phones reported and not reported....... 5 years there has been ZERO!!!!! Thanks