PDA

View Full Version : WiMax Flashing/Subsidy Unlocking? (Sprint -> Clear)

gcheddar
07-17-2010, 05:34 PM
Anyone know how subsidy locking/unlocking works on WiMax?

Namely, I got a cheap-o Sprint Overdrive (a.k.a Sierra Wireless W801) - which Clear sells under the name "Clear Spot 4G+".

Now Sprint's monthly fees for 4G/3G mobile broadband is $60/mo with a 2 year contract. Clear is $55 with *No Contract*. Hence, I'd like to activate it on Clear.

WiMax seems to operate like Ethernet - there's a MAC ID that the carrier uses to authorize the device. But there's also a number called the "WiMax HFSN" - don't know what that is.

Since Sprint 4G *is* actually the Clear 4G network, I'm guessing this should be possible.

Any thoughts on how to do this? How do carriers network lock a WiMax device? Is there an equivalent to the CDMA MSL/SPC unlock code?

aph
09-05-2010, 11:49 AM
I'm not sure what the WiMax HFSN is, but I wanted to add that there's also a third component (unless it's the same thing as the HFSN of course). It's the RSA key that's does the handshake authorization after the WiMax MAC ID allows the connection. On my Evo it's stored in a separate partition called "wimax". The MAC ID for the Evo is on the back behind the battery so it's easy to recover, but there are many people on xda-developers with broken 4G because of they flashed over their partition and lost their RSA keys. Just a heads up.

09-05-2010, 12:44 PM
Can you provide a sample of the HFSN?

Not that it helps much, but the IEEE information on WiMax (802.16) is available Here ([Only registered and activated users can see links])

clubdana
03-09-2011, 03:41 PM
Did you ever figure out if this is possible? I too have a sprint branded device I would like to activate on Clear?

Anyone know how subsidy locking/unlocking works on WiMax?

Namely, I got a cheap-o Sprint Overdrive (a.k.a Sierra Wireless W801) - which Clear sells under the name "Clear Spot 4G+".

Now Sprint's monthly fees for 4G/3G mobile broadband is $60/mo with a 2 year contract. Clear is $55 with *No Contract*. Hence, I'd like to activate it on Clear.

WiMax seems to operate like Ethernet - there's a MAC ID that the carrier uses to authorize the device. But there's also a number called the "WiMax HFSN" - don't know what that is.

Since Sprint 4G *is* actually the Clear 4G network, I'm guessing this should be possible.

Any thoughts on how to do this? How do carriers network lock a WiMax device? Is there an equivalent to the CDMA MSL/SPC unlock code?

null0
03-20-2011, 05:58 PM
Not sure if you guys know about the hacked iSpots but the guy that works on those seems to have set his attention on the OverDrive. [Only registered and activated users can see links]

Maybe this will help do what you want?

abangeko
04-22-2011, 05:13 AM
I'm in Indonesia. A guy on eBay had been wrong to give my order that should be MiFi 2200 and he gave me TWC OverDrive. I opened the case and found SierraWireless MC5728V mini pci. I'm still working on it just to work with Indonesian EVDO. New Indonesian WiMax network is about 25 miles from my location and I can not help you right now.