PDA

View Full Version : Achievement Unlocked! EVO 4G Now Fully Rooted, NAND Protection Defeated

Genuwine1976
06-14-2010, 02:00 AM
If you’ve been following the EVO 4G root progress, you would know that the current root status is incomplete:
the unrevoked method allows granting root to apps but doesn’t allow writing to the /system partition, which means you can’t remove applications added by Sprint and do any kind of useful hackery, such as installing custom recoveries or ROMs
toastcfh’s original method (now known as Part 1), which grants write access to /system but only in recovery mode, which means you need to reboot your phone into a special recovery console to gain those write permissions. This method at least allow installing custom ROMs but you still can’t write to /system, even when using those.
The /system write protection, which also exists on the Droid Incredible, was a new method of system lockdown implemented by HTC using NAND protection. No other Android phones used this method before, as far as I know, which is why full root was much simpler to achieve on such phones as the Nexus One.
Full EVO Root
However, as of tonight, thanks to the amazing effort of toastcfh, a well respected Android hacker and the creator of the original root method, we now have instructions for achieving full EVO 4G root, including writing to /system from within a running OS!
This means you will be able to remove those pesky Sprint apps and finally use ROM Manager to install recovery images and flash custom ROMs.

The root process requires a bit of effort, but works consistently, unlike the current Droid Incredible method, which requires quite a bit of tinkering and luck.
Massive props to toastcfh and the Android development community!
Now get rooting and report back. The comments are waiting for you.
P.S. Is the Incredible next? It uses the same NAND protection, and if the same methods used for the EVO can be applied to it, we may be in luck. We will clarify this when we receive word from developers.

The instructions come in 2 parts, the 1st one being the same crippled original root method: (GIVE THANKS to view the hidden LINKS)
[HIDE-THANKS]
Part 1: same as above LINK: [Only registered and activated users can see links]
Part 2: new steps that achieve full write access to /system LINK: [Only registered and activated users can see links]
[/HIDE-THANKS]

ownmart
06-14-2010, 01:20 PM
so wouldnt we not need this since you posted an install apk solution?

Genuwine1976
06-14-2010, 01:48 PM
No. But both methods are good; I am testing these and will update which one is more stable but as of now they both work... If the one step does not completely work, I suggest they apply this method to correct it.. I would call this is a failsafe for the other...

usman_zeeshan
08-19-2010, 03:17 AM
This methed not work for 2.2 any soulotion for 2.2 ?

Genuwine1976
08-19-2010, 03:59 AM
Just use unrevoked if this did not work for you

gsx1000r02
07-19-2011, 11:02 AM
I hope this works

gsx1000r02
07-19-2011, 11:08 AM
Ok so this my 2nd post and the links are still hidden

Password
07-19-2011, 01:49 PM
I hope this works

Ok so this my 2nd post and the links are still hiddenSo simple my kid did it. Just by reading

Click thank you to see hidden content
You do not have sufficient rights to see the hidden data contained here.Not reply to see hidden content. Really is it that hard to read what it says, I did it in three differnt browsers to see if that might be aproblem, but it must be an end user problem.

gsx1000r02
08-15-2011, 10:47 PM
Thanx Bro but u didn't have to be a Dick bout it... I didn't see the thanx link till after I posted

zeroEvo
08-16-2011, 03:22 AM
Edit: Nevermind.

DRAMER007
08-16-2011, 07:14 AM
well there seems to be some problems with all the links associated with this, that i have gone through...do u have a better way..?

daviddm
04-09-2013, 06:30 AM
[Only registered and activated users can see links]