PDA

View Full Version : Novatel firmwares

ryantdean1
12-11-2014, 11:24 AM
Does anyone have firmwares for novatel devices? specifically v139 and v135 for the 2200

here is a link to a few duu s for most novotel units

[Only registered and activated users can see links]

rich hathaway
12-11-2014, 11:34 AM
Hi I have but cannot find the stock version to send you,I probably have stock one on external drive when I find it ill post it for you, but just fyi the cheat engine trick I dont think works anymore if you are updated to 167 already, I may be wrong I haven't tried it but I think I remember some members saying that.Anyway will be interesting to see if it does if that is what you are doing, I hope you will let us know.

ryantdean1
12-11-2014, 11:39 AM
I have been working on some firmwares for a while and its a very slow process. Does anyone out there have any tips
and programs and any progress you would like to share to speed up the process.

rich hathaway
12-11-2014, 12:53 PM
I merged your 2 threads together that were both about novatel firmware to help keep the forum uncluttered, so both are here now in this single thread.

ryantdean1
12-11-2014, 04:19 PM
I am mainly just looking for older duus at this point. I can downgrade easily to V139 or v135 with dfs. I use pe explorer for my modding and others I really need the duu to make the process easier and edit some stuff so i can simply click and execute . I have found when downgrade
to v139 with dfs (amssmodem) only i get locked out of the admin page (192.168.1.1) it just says "hello world" at the top of the page any ideas?
anyone try to edit a .dmf file from dfs and add it back?

rich hathaway
12-11-2014, 05:10 PM
you can load cross platform firms with dfs but it almost always will cause problems, I made some posts on this in the novatel forum some time back and posted all firms and the correct device for which they were made for, they should not be loaded cross platform like that or they will likely crash soon after and be stuck in dl mode with a fubar'd efs.
those dmf files are obfusticated are you able to de-obfusticate them?

JaiFar1996
12-12-2014, 12:26 PM
Does loading the AMSS modem only upgrade the fw PLUS zero out ES*?

rich hathaway
12-12-2014, 01:07 PM
no it doesnt do either it only upgrades the modem

Wrecked Johnson
12-12-2014, 03:21 PM
I learned a long time ago that reality was much weirder than anyone's imagination

rich hathaway
12-12-2014, 03:24 PM
now that is a quality post

ryantdean1
12-12-2014, 07:40 PM
dfs downgrading firmware for mifi 2200 (warning advanced users only)or if your mifi has a death wish)
this is not a solution its just how i have done it.(dfs firmware kinda sucks)
(do not try if you have the demo version)dfs)
I have bricked(dead no lights) 4 mifis to figure this out the hard way. Dfs firmware breakdown
for the 2200 (please note this is for informational use only) I have confirmed
all this info to be correct with dfs team as well.If your device gets stuck in download mode or fails
any of the checked boxes do not restart or unplug it just wait a few seconds and run the amssmodem again
or which ever failed option you checked off to write.

once your connected to your device with dfs go to the download then server tab and download the firmware for your devce
you want to downgrade to in my case the 2200v135.dmf (i was on v167) from the duu upgrade. after the dmf is downloaded click local
then the amssmodem box to the left and click write, if it fails wait a sec then click write again and it will pass the second time.
next check the nw_router and write if it fails wait a sec then click write again and it will pass the second time.

this part is not tested due to me not having the v139 duu if someone can please give it to me i will test it

(Then if you want you can load the verizon v139duu and it will now except the upgrade to v139.)

QCSBLH \
QCSBL ) these are part of the bootloader and other stuff no need to check
OEMSBL /
AMSSMODEM- This is the firmware (mob sw rev)
CEFS2 - This is the memory (esn min imsi mdn and so on)
NW_ROUTER - this is the UI (admin page basicly)

do not cry to me in the comments if you brick your unit please , If you do rich has a fix for you im sure :)

rich hathaway
12-12-2014, 09:43 PM
alot of guys reverted back to the version before the last update sounds like they can update again now

rich hathaway
12-13-2014, 01:45 PM
So I was curious about this and decided to try dfs firm i do have the latest version 14.10.21 and so far it has bricked all 3 of the devices i have reloaded or try'd to reload,none of them had any problem before and all were functional,but when that tool writes the modem partition it fails almost immediately and since its in a partially loaded state the device is fubared.

so i try'd to wait a few then write it again like ryan was saying but dfs is infinitely stuck now "searching device" and will not attempt to re run the modem partition.

so it seems the user has no choice but to disconnect and pull the battery and replug to find now the device is "stuck" in download mode.
upon my second attempt with all 3 devices the outcome is again the same amss partition is failed quickly upon reload and dfs tool is now stuck searching the device again.
so upon 3rd attempt again dfs will not load the device but this time it gives error "boot execute failed" which is funny since the device's mode is already "download" why does this tool think it needs to resend that command,obviously upon reading device state it mistranslated the devices mode for something other than "MERLV760" which is what the mode clearly is,every other tool i have verifies this, (fyi MERLV760 mode for 2200 is the download mode that is called to that device for firmware to be downloaded to any partition).
so i am 0 for 3 with this, i was however able to recover my devices with some custom tools.

is anyone else having any luck with dfs and loading 2200 after failed load?
if any of you need i can recover most any novatel or zte mifi device once bricked if you cant get dfs to do it send it to me :D
or maybe there is another workaround for it someone will post

JaiFar1996
12-13-2014, 06:42 PM
How could the Russians screw that up?? It had worked great for so long

Wrecked Johnson
12-15-2014, 01:04 PM
now that is a quality post

Its the in rainforest regions of ohio, you should visit!

rich hathaway
12-15-2014, 10:08 PM
lol, I thought you made that up.

JaiFar1996
12-17-2014, 05:33 PM
Russians say it's a driver issue on our side..LOL. Hmmm,,,worked for yrs and not kills the mifis. Tried 3 difft computers with same result. Many others are not killing their mifis as well

rich hathaway
12-18-2014, 11:17 AM
seems simple to me,make an update that returns that portion of there tool to the previous version...

alcatrazcc
12-18-2014, 11:07 PM
why are people downgradin these mifis firmwares?

JaiFar1996
12-18-2014, 11:38 PM
Loading any firmware will kill the mifis

alcatrazcc
12-18-2014, 11:50 PM
kill the mifis?? what models does loading firmware kill?

- - - Updated - - -

where can i find the dmf files for 4510?

JaiFar1996
12-19-2014, 10:26 AM
the dfs fw is killing the 2200's. ive no idea what a dmf file is..LOL.

ryantdean1
12-19-2014, 10:30 AM
I updated to dfs v14.11.16.0 (evo) and i have not bricked any units yet. Here is what i've been doing to downgrade
connect to status port send spc , etc go to download tab click the v167 dmf for the 2200 check all boxes
to the right then click write . it will go through the process and one of them will fail %75 of the time , immediately press write again upon failure
until it goes through the process completes and restarts by itself. then repeat the process with the v135 or v139.
when you update dfs to v14.11.16.0 please delete your local dmf files because when you update these files don't, then redownload them from the server
just fyi the dfs dmu 's suck to have on a unit permanently (no admin page for one) I would suggest running a stock duu after if you have downgraded
and again if you brick your unit im not responsible , I bricked several (11 units ) and mailed them to rich for repair trying to figure this out.. lol

JaiFar1996
12-19-2014, 11:39 AM
I sold my 2200's..screw the risk, lol. Im sticking with the lc11, 890L, and 4510

rich hathaway
12-19-2014, 11:40 AM
just fyi if you load the wrong dmf file on your device you will NOT be able to run any duu with success, The duu by default have a check for device hardware and firmware and if they do not match you will not get any firm update on your novatel device via duu, So to put that in layman terms if you load a 135 firm that was made for a sprint or virgin or any other carrier on your vzw mifi it may load with dfs but you wont be loading any duu to it unless you can remove duu security as it will the fail the integrity test.
take some good advice peeps, do not ever load full firm with dfs unless you are trying to recover a messed up device instead only realize you only need to load the cefs partition to clear meid for flash, leave all other partitions alone.
dfs's firmwares are light and imo junk, they leave out many functions and is probably the reason so many devices end up stuck in download mode after only a short while of use, I mean think about it, if they clear the efs, yes the unit will rebuild it upon cold boot but it has no blueprint of start/stop for address's of functions so it puts start/stop wherever it sees fit, then when the firm needs a to ck with efs for a particular function it will call the correct address for it in the efs but the now the efs has a different function in that location causing the device to either bootloop or change mode due to error, hence you are stuck in download mode with no way to escape
also someone asked what is dmf? it is dfs's obfusticated compilation of the device firmware, they do that so you cant use it without there tool (unless you can de-obfusticate it)

alcatrazcc
12-19-2014, 05:16 PM
i took this virgin mobile 2200 and i flashed it with the dmf 167 and it worked awesome off dfs server... so now the device is showing a verizon 2200 instead of stupid virgin that wouldnt allow to connect to inet once flashed due to virgin firmware on the device....for anyone who wants to make a virgin 2200 into a verizon just flash with 167 dmf its a verizon firmware from 2200..

JaiFar1996
12-19-2014, 06:52 PM
I stopped messing with the update on the 2200 yesterday. Each one killed is alot of $ lost. Im just doing all 2200's with with no me*d change for now. Just flashing the stock fw with profile 1 active

alcatrazcc
12-20-2014, 03:57 PM
yeh i have a bunch of bricked 2200s here too .. such a touchy mifi.. if the wind blows just right download mode turns on lol

rich hathaway
12-20-2014, 11:26 PM
send them to me bro i can recover for you.

alcatrazcc
12-22-2014, 05:00 PM
ok will send them this week in a padded flat rate envelope.. one of them is from the great elisa, who never did make right with me for ripping me off.. hope he gets coal for christmas lol

rich hathaway
12-22-2014, 06:07 PM
Ok I will look for them, also please include a note with your contact info and return address and just let me know they are for recovery and you might include your user name also so I know who you are.