PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Why Does CricKet Chose to Have a Proxy

Help
03-12-2010, 05:27 PM
I'm addicted to this phone stuff, but I guess I'm still kinda of a noob.

Can anyone help me understand what purpose proxy-severs have????

ten0rplaya04
03-12-2010, 05:43 PM
A Proxy Server is an easy way for a carrier to:
A) Reformat data in way that the phone's browser can see.
B) Prevent access to resources that shouldn't be accessed
C) Give all users internet access even when their account doesn't have internet.

Without C, you wouldn't be able to send picture mail in the manner that the phones do. This is why it's important that for pictures to work on your phone, internet must be configured correctly. C also provides the carrier a way for their customers to access their accounts from their phones without giving access to the internet at large.

Dex
03-12-2010, 06:04 PM
please dont for get to mark ur threads as solved using thread tools

Help
03-12-2010, 08:24 PM
OK so we know proxy-servers:
A Proxy Server is an easy way for a carrier to:
A) Reformat data in way that the phone's browser can see.
B) Prevent access to resources that shouldn't be accessed
C) Give all users internet access even when their account doesn't have internet.

I'm sure the major(Sprint,Verizon,AT&T, USCC etc.) cellphone companies have the same issues to deal with. Yet they seam to capable of dealing with these issues without a proxy.
Why would a cellphone company chose to have a proxy? If that were the only way, it would make sense. Does it save them money or make them more competitive in some way?

Thanks Dex I was totally unware I could end the thread. I hope its Ok that I reopened it. I'll get used to how we do thing here soon. Thanks for your patience and understanding.

Dex
03-12-2010, 08:45 PM
other companies have proxies as well they just dont block all the ports like cricket does cricket offers unlimited data its there staple other comapnies didnt offer it so they left all ports open but now it is all goes but they still monito usage unlike cricket which dont care but they block the ports used the most used for like email and other programs hell aim shut down the textin service to cricket i used it everyday and was mad they did

Help
03-12-2010, 10:55 PM
So the proxies are not really the problem. It’s the lack of ports.
I was not sure they were limiting our access. I thought a proxy server was an smaller investment or something.
It would seam that gurus could redirect software to those ports. Even rewrite software to use those ports.
ProxyCap doesnt work for a lot of things. At least I have'nt figured how to get email to OTA.
I had a push mail work on a Q9c with Cricket's proxy or lack of ports. It was called Seven. Now I can't get it to work now on my TP2.
Thank you for your help.

Dex I'll close this tomorrow if there are no further response