PDA

View Full Version : ;^) How to get Cricket Internet on Palm Treo 755p (Sprint)

Mr._Pseudonym
02-27-2010, 04:24 AM
:^/ First things first. I adapted these instructions from similar instructions for another Treo model, and added a few bits of my own. Adapting these to your model will have to be left to you, since you're the one who has it on hand to tinker with.

;^) Okay, now to business:

• On the Application launcher, go to your preferences tool and activate it.

• Once there, select the entry for "Network."

• Out of the box, the Palm Treo 755p (Sprint) has only one service, "Sprint Provisioning." This is locked in ROM, and cannot be edited without 3rd party tools. Cricket cannot change it, and Sprint won't, but that's okay because we don't have to remove it. We'll create another service to use instead.

• Hit the menu key, then select "Service/New."

• Give the service the name "My Cricket," or whatever strikes your fancy.

• Set the connection to "High Speed Wireless." I haven't gotten the high speed part working full time yet, but do it anyway.

[Only registered and activated users can see links]

• Set the password to "cricket", with no quotes.

• Click the "Details" button to access the next screen. Uncheck the "Mobile IP" box. Other data fields will disappear when you do this, but that's okay because we won't use them anyway.

• Click the "Advanced" button. The next screen will show checkboxes for "Automatic IP" and "Query DNS." They should both be checked already, which is what we want.

• Click the "Okay" button twice to return to the main Network Preferences screen.

• Click the "Connect" button. The Treo should report that it's connecting to "My Cricket," or whatever fanciful name you selected
earlier.

• While still in the Preferences/Network tool after creating our new service, select Options/View Log from the menu.

• Scroll to the bottom of the log and notice the cursor there. The log doubles as a CLI, see.

• Type "?" or "help" (without quotes) and hit the carriage return key. The CLI will return a list of valid commands. They're all interesting, but the one we're interested in is "pdpset."

• Type "pdpset 1" (again without quotes) and hit return. This tells the Treo to use the Network Service that we've just created.

• If you haven't created a network setting before, you'll be prompted to enter an unlock code. The code is 000000.

• Now that we have two settings, it's important to ensure that we're set to use the correct one. At the top of the Network Preferences tool it should read: "Service: My Cricket," or whatever other name you chose. If it reads "Sprint Provisioning," you'll need to select "My Cricket," instead. This sometimes gets reset if we enjoy tinkering with everything else, so if the Treo tries to connect to "Sprint Provisioning," this is where to direct it to use Cricket again.

;^) That's half the battle done; now to reset the built-in browser, Blazer.

• Fire up Blazer, then pick "Options/Preferences" from the menu.

• Set your home page to [Only registered and activated users can see links]

• Click the "Advanced" tab, then click the "Set Proxy" button.

• On the new page, ensure the "Use Proxy" button is checked.

• Set the "Proxy Server" to: wap.mycricket.com

• Set the "Port" to: 8080

• Click "OK" twice to return to Blazer.

:^/ Annnnd, that's it! You should now be able to surf the Internet via Cricket's proxy, at 1x speed, which is oodles times faster than not connecting at all. EVDO requires the 1050 PRL and a market that supports it.

;^)°º(Of course, you have to be subscribed to Cricket Internet; it won't work for free!)

Sprint Provisioning:

:^/ A new, un-provisioned Sprint Treo may complain that it needs to connect to Sprint Provisioning before connecting to the Internet correctly. For that, go to your dialer interface and dial ##DATA# (##3282#). Once there, hit the menu button to activate the menu, and select Update Vision Profile. You'll then get a requester that explains that your phone must be configured for Vision services, and that it will take a few minutes. It asks if you want to do it now. Click the Now button. The Treo will then try to connect to Sprint Provisioning. (Notice that it isn't trying to connect to Cricket Internet, which we've set up earlier? That's okay.)

:^/ The Treo will fail to establish a connection to Sprint, of course, because we're not Sprint customers. But it will still set the appropriate configurations within the Treo itself, which is what we want. From this point on, the Treo will not complain about Vision Services.