PDA

View Full Version : Thinking about buying a Desktop/Laptop specifically for flashing

ownmart
02-10-2010, 12:14 AM
how much do you think I should spend/specs?

I found a nice one here
[Only registered and activated users can see links]

I'm thinking thats gonna be a sick one based on specs

any ideas?

meanngreen04
02-10-2010, 01:44 AM
With 6gbs, you would need to run 64bit Windows. Drivers for flashing are really hard to come by for that. I wouldn't bother with something over 4gb. Windows 32 bit only recognizes up to about 3.7-3.8 gb. From what I understand, anything over 2gb in 32bit is excess for that matter. I have a dual core with 2gb at work, it does the job perfectly. I run about 20 different apps and about 10 browser pages with no lag.

thesmitty68521
02-10-2010, 01:49 AM
I second meanngreen. Get a machine with XP on it and about 2 gigs of memory and a dual core processor. I run that now and never have a problem.

With Vista and windows 7 you will have nothing but problems. I had a vista machine and turned it into an XP one. I got a Windows 7 machine and I could not find the drivers and even the compatibility mode wasn't the greatest for flashing phones.

Remember the profit margin in this business isn't the greatest. Stick with the simple stuff.

meanngreen04
02-10-2010, 02:14 AM
Windows 7 is actually not bad with the phones. The only real kick back I have seen is running QXDM. You must run the newer versions. Really you should stay with XP. The dates on these programs are really progressing in years. Compatibility is an issue all the time. If you must use windows 7, do not go 64 bit. On the 32 bit, if you have problems run the WinNT/2000 compatibilty modes and you should get by just fine.

Mr._Pseudonym
02-10-2010, 04:20 AM
:^/ Over the years, I've owned a number of laptops, and I notice that the ones you can find in your local charity thrift stores are often suitable for running flashing software. Writing flash ROM data isn't the most processor intensive operation in the world. So if you want a second, separate laptop just for your flashing stuff, second-hand is definitely the way to go.

GEMASPIRE
02-10-2010, 04:44 AM
Try to get an laptop/netbook and install windows xp on it. I am using an Aser Aspire One 11.6" netbook 2GB 250GB WinXP. It fits anywhere on my desk and is not very heavy to move. They don't cost more than $350.

meanngreen04
02-10-2010, 01:13 PM
Only problem with the laptop/notebook theory is that you limit the number of phones you can flash at one time. Laptops have very few usb ports. The good about a laptop is that you are very mobile with it.

I just purchased a desktop at walmart brand new for $260. Dual core 2.6, 2gb ddr2, 320gb hd, and it has 9 usb ports. It's a mini tower as well so it fits wherever. This has really helped me with multi-flashes.

Mr._Pseudonym
02-10-2010, 03:40 PM
;^) I hear you there. The main appeal to a laptop is the portability. But if you're looking for a dedicated phone flashing workstation that won't do much else, (and thus won't risk getting corrupted/rendered inoperative, etc.) -then a modest desktop is definitely a good way to go; every component is cheaper to replace, and the larger size makes it easier to work on. And as you've said the greater expandability makes it possible to flash multiple phones at once.

En masse phone flashing never occurred to me because I'm more of a hobbyist in this, and don't have the need to access more than one phone at a time.

ownmart
02-11-2010, 04:19 PM
alright so just get a basic xp system for a backup, k just checkin. don't want mine to randomly stop working and get calls and be SOL lol
thanks for all the imput

meanngreen04
02-12-2010, 02:18 AM
Might I suggest getting an external drive as backup? or using raid? That way you have a working backup at all times. The worst thing that could happen is you losing files. Trust me....It took me 5 days to recover the files, drivers, and other odds and ends.

ownmart
02-12-2010, 01:55 PM
Might I suggest getting an external drive as backup? or using raid? That way you have a working backup at all times. The worst thing that could happen is you losing files. Trust me....It took me 5 days to recover the files, drivers, and other odds and ends.

already got a 1TB external ;)

evojoey
02-13-2010, 01:20 AM
I use a netbook ..Since I flash primarily for dealers and I go from store to store all day ...asus eeepc 1005ha with 2gbs of ram

ownmart
02-28-2010, 01:38 AM
I use a netbook ..Since I flash primarily for dealers and I go from store to store all day ...asus eeepc 1005ha with 2gbs of ram

I went and got a asus netbook so far im liking it, pretty tiny tho

Dex
02-28-2010, 03:11 AM
Man get a real laptop 14.1 or better all the way NETBOOKS SUCK

ownmart
02-28-2010, 12:39 PM
Ive got a regular laptop core2 duo 3gb ram etc etc, I just wanted a second one for other mobile flashing when I dont want to bring this thing around

ten0rplaya04
02-28-2010, 02:09 PM
When I first started out flashing, I had it on my laptop so I could take it everywhere. But that got to be a hassle because I would forget to take it with me some days. I picked up a Small Form Factor Dell for around $125 (P4 2.8, 512MB Ram, XP) and it's being used for my flashing with my laptop as a secondary. This same Dell is running around $80 now (Off-Lease computers) and for a stay-put system, can't be beat at that price.

Really good off-lease computers with XP are flooding the market as businesses go from XP to Windows 7. Look for more and more of them to be cheap (between $80 and $150). I've even seen P4 1.8-2.2 Ghz Laptops on the market for $125-150. Netbooks for one-off flashing aren't bad. Super portable and come with a warranty :)