PDA

View Full Version : prls

bakenast
07-31-2013, 10:14 AM
is there a way to get a flashed mifi to use a att prl.. instead of verizon or sprint? thanks

elisa191
07-31-2013, 10:40 AM
is there a way to get a flashed mifi to use a att prl.. instead of verizon or sprint? thanks

Are you asking if you can get a CDMA Mifi to use ATTs Network?

Just clarifying

bakenast
07-31-2013, 10:50 AM
yup, I get much better service with att where i live

whitey10tc
07-31-2013, 11:23 AM
AT&T is GSM and does not use PRL's. and unless you're on a contract account AT&T, not an MVNO or prepaid, will shut your data off for abuse if your using it to tether. I've had a few customer that thought they could get service with Green Mobile to use ipads and lost the data due to abuse.

If you have good AT&T coverage you'll most likely have good VZW, why not try NextG Mobile they have some reasonable data plans.

bakenast
07-31-2013, 12:42 PM
just looked up nextg i see it has plans with example 2gb does this mean for example if i was to download a movie that was 2gb in size that it would use up all my monthly data?

whitey10tc
07-31-2013, 12:57 PM
just looked up nextg i see it has plans with example 2gb does this mean for example if i was to download a movie that was 2gb in size that it would use up all my monthly data?That is correct if you used it all in one shot it would be used for the remainder of the cycle, NextG will soon, if they haven't already start a throttle after the allowed data is used. Meaning you use up the 2gb at 3g speeds, and the rest of the cycle will be 128kps or less (dialup speeds) and could always be suspended for abuse.

You should always consider what your uses are and make the choices in that regards. While it maybe cheaper to flash a Mifi and only pay $60/mo will your usage out-weigh the plan, would going with a DSL, cable or even a satellite be a better alternative and give you more Bang for your buck.

Most prepaid carriers are cracking down on tethering and hotspot usage, with good reason, there are peeps who abuse the system, not just with cloned devices but also activating SIM cards and using them just for data on plans that are specifically designed for talk/text/data with a balance weighing towards data now days.

bakenast
07-31-2013, 02:26 PM
so if i used more than 2gb then the plan would still work but just slower speeds.. 2gb doesnt seem much of a allowance for downloading.. i mean if a family has a hotspot in there house and there kids use it too.. the data allowance would run out super fast. I need to find a way to get a mifi on true unlimited data, without throttleing does such a thing even exist.. yea sattlight is our only option where we live and we had it and was paying 60$ a month and speeds werent much better than dial up such a scam.. :) thanks

whitey10tc
07-31-2013, 02:42 PM
so if i used more than 2gb then the plan would still work but just slower speeds.. 2gb doesnt seem much of a allowance for downloading.. i mean if a family has a hotspot in there house and there kids use it too.. the data allowance would run out super fast. I need to find a way to get a mifi on true unlimited data, without throttleing does such a thing even exist.. yea sattlight is our only option where we live and we had it and was paying 60$ a month and speeds werent much better than dial up such a scam.. :) thanksI see a few holes in your situation and I feel your pain until last year I had two options here at my house sat or clear, both sucked but got us by.

Hole one, your using a personal hotspot for your primary source of internet, it's not designed for that and no carriers system is designed like that.
hole two, your letting the kids connect to it, kids are HEAVY data users no matter what

In theory yes after you used the 2gb it would still work, but with heavy usage it could be term'd and that is if they have started just the throttling they were talking about.

You will never find a "truly unlimited" service anymore anywhere. If you did it wouldn't be at 3g+ speeds. Carriers even the big ones that claim unlimited will throttle or term an account for abuse. Different carriers have different abuse policies but the basics are the same heavy usage of data.

rich hathaway
07-31-2013, 03:27 PM
sprint and tmobile have the true unlimited data but only at 3g and only for mobile devices,unless you do something sneeky like enable tethering (remove entitlement ck) or clone a mifi or jetpack or similar to it.

elisa191
07-31-2013, 03:29 PM
Even on NextG (verizon NVMO) you will get 5gigs tops in a month and they will terminate your data

Boost you don't get