PDA

View Full Version : accidently gave out MEID number of a flashed phone... should I be concerned?

jackychan
09-09-2012, 02:57 AM
My iphone is a verizon phone which has been deactivated since i closed my account. I have flashed it to cricket. I am selling the phone on craigslist. here is the issue i am facing.

I gave out my MEID number of the iphone to a potential buyer because he wanted to check to see if he can unlock the phone. I thought it was harmless to do so. But I started to have second thoughts especially when the potential buyer never replied to my email message.

what malicious/fraudulent things can they do with the number?

1. I read somewhere that they substitute the number i gave them with the number of a phone that is lost/stolen or blacklisted. What are the consequences of this?
here is my concern, lets say i sell the phone it to a customer that wants to use the phone on verizon's network. and let's say this crook clones my meid number onto a stolen phone and uses that phone in his verizon account. Is there a possiblity that the person owning the real phone on verizon's network face serious legal charges? also, is there a possiblity that the crook can use his phone with the cloned meid number and have the phone charges appear on the other verizon customer's account bill? i mean let's say the crook sets up a verizon account and registers his stolen phone which has my meid number on it. will any charges associated with that stolen phone be applied to verizon's phone bill assoicated with the legit verizon customer that has the real phone? also, can this happen even if the crook sets up an account with another wireless carrier other than verizon?

This is a verizon phone and i flashed it to cricket. The phone is currently on my cricket account. Can they find out that the phone is on cricket's network and have it blacklisted with cricket? Also can they find out that the phone was on verizon's network and have it blacklisted with verizon so that it can't be used on verizon's network?

thanks for your replies.

whitey10tc
09-09-2012, 12:16 PM
My iphone is a verizon phone which has been deactivated since i closed my account. I have flashed it to cricket. I am selling the phone on craigslist. here is the issue i am facing.

I gave out my MEID number of the iphone to a potential buyer because he wanted to check to see if he can unlock the phone. I thought it was harmless to do so. But I started to have second thoughts especially when the potential buyer never replied to my email message. Never give out the MEID to someone unless you have money in hand.

what malicious/fraudulent things can they do with the number?All of the below

1. I read somewhere that they substitute the number i gave them with the number of a phone that is lost/stolen or blacklisted. What are the consequences of this?
here is my concern, lets say i sell the phone it to a customer that wants to use the phone on verizon's network. and let's say this crook clones my meid number onto a stolen phone and uses that phone in his verizon account. Is there a possiblity that the person owning the real phone on verizon's network face serious legal charges? also, is there a possiblity that the crook can use his phone with the cloned meid number and have the phone charges appear on the other verizon customer's account bill? i mean let's say the crook sets up a verizon account and registers his stolen phone which has my meid number on it. will any charges associated with that stolen phone be applied to verizon's phone bill assoicated with the legit verizon customer that has the real phone? also, can this happen even if the crook sets up an account with another wireless carrier other than verizon? They can clone it to different phone and use it on Verizon just like your concerned about. Thus preventing a future buyers from using it.

This is a verizon phone and i flashed it to cricket. The phone is currently on my cricket account. Can they find out that the phone is on cricket's network and have it blacklisted with cricket? Also can they find out that the phone was on verizon's network and have it blacklisted with verizon so that it can't be used on verizon's network?

thanks for your replies.If it's currently on your account, they can clone it and use your service you're paying for. All your concerns are valid, but the likely hood of this happening is slim but not impossible.